PDA

View Full Version : Transom support while trailering

Wes_G
05-19-2015, 10:02 PM
The motor on the new boat has power tilt. It has a little lever that you pull down to lower the motor onto while you are trailering it, but this doesn't seem like adequate support to me especially when heading down some of these bumpy gravel roads to the lakes. Its only a 30 horse Evinrude, so not a huge motor by any means, but should the motor be supported at all times while trailering?

EZM
05-19-2015, 10:29 PM
It's my opinion that motors should be supported.

I also suspect the type of motor supports that use a steel bar to support the leg that are bolted to the trailer transfers lots of unnecessary road bumps - so I'm not a big fan of those.

I use the M-Y-Wedge which supports the motor without using the hydraulic tilt cylinder and does not rely on the support latch/pin either.

here's the link for your consideration.

http://www.m-ywedge.com/

FishHunterPro
05-19-2015, 10:30 PM
Ya put a transom saver on for support I've seen a boat similar to mine that didn't have one and all the paint was cracked around where the motor was mounted. It didn't look nice and for the $80 part it's worth the coin.

http://i1264.photobucket.com/albums/jj500/motohead686/DF37B27E-6A25-4F46-BFC3-BC93EF063872.jpg (http://s1264.photobucket.com/user/motohead686/media/DF37B27E-6A25-4F46-BFC3-BC93EF063872.jpg.html)

huntsfurfish
05-20-2015, 07:09 AM
The motor on the new boat has power tilt. It has a little lever that you pull down to lower the motor onto while you are trailering it, but this doesn't seem like adequate support to me especially when heading down some of these bumpy gravel roads to the lakes. Its only a 30 horse Evinrude, so not a huge motor by any means, but should the motor be supported at all times while trailering?

Have 40hp evinrude 4 stroke. Asked if I needed transom saver when I bought it. They said no. Have thought about one off and on since (15 yr ago). Still good, no issues.

Mine rests on the lever as well.

JohninAB
05-20-2015, 07:47 AM
I have one on my 50 horse 2 stroke Merc. Fastens to the trailer. Do not really need it but I figured what the heck. Has a built in rubber shock absorber so no jars etc as EZM alluded to.

mikebossy
05-20-2015, 09:44 AM
if you want to save a little money, and get same effect as the MY Wedge buy some 12 inch long trailer roller material at Princess auto, make sure the inner diameter is slightly bigger than the two 'pins', cut roller in half, put on each one, butt engine against rubber, check My wedge sight to understand how the rubber sleeves work, good luck, been using on my Merc 115 for ages

Sea Hawk
05-20-2015, 10:30 AM
I use the My Wedge as well. Just be careful that there in no wiring that it can damage. My Yamaha 150 has a wire running up the starboard side of the leg that could easily be damaged.

Dan Foss
05-20-2015, 12:16 PM
M-Y wedge is great

Habfan
05-20-2015, 04:36 PM

I have a 75 Mariner that has a little lever that you lift up, then lower the motor onto it. I've had it for 15 years with no issues !! It's part of the mounting bracket.

Unregistered user
05-20-2015, 04:49 PM
I use Motor Stik from Bass Pro, similar to the my wedge on a 175 Johnson, works I guess.

Tfng
05-20-2015, 08:46 PM
I like a transom support like Fishhunterpro has in his pic.

I don't see how the my wedge is supporting the transom? That would help save the trim cylinder though.

If it was mostly highway and shorter distance gravel roads I wouldn't be so worried about transom support.

Habfan
05-20-2015, 09:13 PM
When the wedge is taking off the weight of the motor then it actually pushes the transom in, thus distributing the weight ! Like I said, never had a problem, plus it's free !

bobalong
05-20-2015, 10:34 PM
I have a 75 Mariner that has a little lever that you lift up, then lower the motor onto it. I've had it for 15 years with no issues !! It's part of the mounting bracket.

I have the same on mine, a 115 hp, it is 25 years old this year, no problems.

PerchBuster
05-21-2015, 06:12 AM
I've used an aluminum transom saver on my 150 for years and it has been great with no issues. That said I used to have a smaller boat with a 40 on it and never used one with it and it was fine but my preference would be to use one anyways

EZM
05-21-2015, 08:25 AM
When the wedge is taking off the weight of the motor then it actually pushes the transom in, thus distributing the weight ! Like I said, never had a problem, plus it's free !

Mine wasn't free !!!!! I'm the sucker who ordered one on-line ...:)

I agree the M-Y-Wedge simply puts the pivot point and support in a position so the weight (both static and dynamic) are primarily 90 degrees the transom where it is the strongest - controlling the inboard/outboard forces applied when bouncing down the road.

The other consideration is - it's easy on - easy off - 3 seconds - tilt up and install by sliding down the cylinder pin, tilt down until the shock absorber just gives slightly and drive away. It comes off the same way - just tilt up and slide it off.

jim summit
05-21-2015, 08:45 AM
You gotta remember, every time you open up the thottle on that 100+ hp motor, you excert 10X more force on the transom then gavity when trailering down the road.......

javlin101
05-21-2015, 11:12 AM
Have 40hp evinrude 4 stroke. Asked if I needed transom saver when I bought it. They said no. Have thought about one off and on since (15 yr ago). Still good, no issues.

Mine rests on the lever as well.

X2

Mine is 1995 Crestliner with a 140 Nissan and no issues.