PDA

View Full Version : Medium or medium heavy baitcaster?

CameronS
05-20-2015, 06:43 PM
Picked up a Abu Revo STX reel but now got to pair it with a rod. This is my first baitcaster. Would it be best to get a medium or medium heavy rod? I am only going to buy one right now but might buy the other later. I fish mostly walleye and pike.

RavYak
05-20-2015, 06:57 PM
Rod depends on the lures you want to throw. If throwing little spoons/crankbaits a med will be good enough. If using larger pike lures will need a MH. I prefer a MH with softer action myself.

CK Angler
05-20-2015, 07:26 PM
I picked up a Rapala R type medium heavy that I've put to good use. It's a xtra fast action so it allows me to cast smaller lures, but still has enough back bone when I get on some bigger pike.

Eventually you'll want both.

IMO you'll get more out of a MH to start.

edmhunter
05-20-2015, 07:59 PM
I would go medium, for sure. If you go for salmon, heavy all day long! :)

RavYak
05-20-2015, 09:04 PM
I picked up a Rapala R type medium heavy that I've put to good use. It's a xtra fast action so it allows me to cast smaller lures, but still has enough back bone when I get on some bigger pike.

Not meant to nit pick but based on my own experience and most sources an extra fast action will actually hamper casting ability not improve it.

Extra fast action has two main advantages, a) being able to feel every little nibble when using bait or jigging and b) being able to yard fish out from under cover(almost never necessary here in AB).

A softer action(to a point) on the other hand usually makes casting easier, longer and more accurate. It also makes fighting fish much easier. If you go to a very soft rod like an ugly stick then this will not be the case though.

A good quality moderate fast rod is imo the best action rod a person can buy if they normally cast/troll for pike/walleye(fast or extra fast if you prefer to jig).

Power as I mentioned relies primarily on lure weights(and slightly on the fish size planned on being caught although that is more for fun factor and a good reel will allow you to catch a big fish on a light rod).

Most medium power rods won't throw the lures I use for pike/walleye(most 5/8-2 oz) but everyone fishes differently.

Also as a side note I highly prefer 7' or 7'6 rods over 6 or 6'6 rods. I wouldn't buy a rod under 7' unless it was for jigging or ice fishing.

Secret coulee
05-20-2015, 09:26 PM

100% in agreance with this statement cause i own a few of the exact same rods and hands down living around newel for stupid giant sized walley and pike,my hands down go to rod anymore.and have landed númerose sturgion on the bow over 40lbs-50lbs,a truely amazing rod for sensitivity and durability and have litteratly caught 100's pushin a thousand fish with this rod and shes my go to rod any more givin my dynamicks of fishing anymore on location and timing for particular species,lol but obviosly not for sturgion on any river haha but in a pinch it's never failed me,thank goodness old sheela didnt make an appearance.

EZM
05-20-2015, 10:06 PM
Power is a measurement of the overall strength and flex of the rod under load - power comes in ultra light, light, medium, heavy and everything in between ......

The Action is a measurement where the greatest point of flexibility exists within that rod blank. A slow or parabolic action (like a fly rod or an ugly stick) provides a pretty even flex throughout the rod blank. Actions go from soft to moderate to fast and up to extra fast. The extra fast bends very near the tip and is designed for quick and short hook sets.

Most manufacturers of rods follow this logic - Shakespeare does not.

Keep in mind a "medium power salmon" rod is likely to have more backbone compared to a "heavy power baitcaster" designed for bass as there are no universally recognized rating systems on rods based on a scientific measurement - so give it a whirl in the store and look at the lure weight rating and line rating for that particular rod.

I'd go medium power, fast action ...... again ..... a pretty versatile rod for both of those applications.

CK Angler
05-20-2015, 10:44 PM
I really like the xtra fast for chucking jerk rattle and swim baits, it really allows me to feel the action of the lure. I paired the R type with a shimano caenan and it felt awesome for casting, and I was throwing further with this set up then all my other bait casters.

I never use a bait caster for jigging, ever. Always a medium action spinning rod. I recently sold a med action 6'6" shimano crucial casting rod, I didn't like it for anything I use a bait caster for.

Everyone has different preferences, just gotta find what works for you.

EZM
05-21-2015, 08:12 AM
I have a G Loomis GLX Medium power with a fast action paired with a Shimano Currado baitcaster ....... a very nice combination that's great for jigging walleyes and casting for pike.

The only complaint I have so far is the micro fine guides on the tip of the rod are so small the line sometimes wraps around the tip and it gets annoying if I'm casting and retrieving a jerk bait or surface lure.

The sensitivity of this rod is incredible and beyond belief - you can literally and actually feel someone softly blowing on the rod tip ...... which gives you a huge advantage when fishing walleye on those days where they are picking up/sucking in bait lightly off the bottom.

Over the last few years I have become a proponent of high quality rods ...... I used to have high quality reels and moderate to above average rods but I'm gravitating to buying the best equipment your budget will allow for BOTH the reel and the rod.

Although many will argue that their Canadian tire special catches hundreds of fish and there's no problem with it - a better rod would have put more fish in the boat ..... I am 100% convinced of that.

CK Angler
05-21-2015, 08:39 AM
Although many will argue that their Canadian tire special catches hundreds of fish and there's no problem with it - a better rod would have put more fish in the boat ..... I am 100% convinced of that.

^^ words of wisdom here folks.

Quality rods/reels make a difference.

TrophyPikeHunter
05-21-2015, 11:14 AM
I have an Abu Revo SX baitcaster on an 6'6" MH Abu Vendetta rod that I'm very happy with. My suggestion is look at an Abu Garcia rod; the reel was certainly made to match a rod from the same manufacturer.

Wild&Free
05-21-2015, 11:47 AM
I would go medium, for sure. If you go for salmon, heavy all day long! :)

Depends on the type of salmon and technique. chucking spinners or spoons on my 11' H with a 7000 gets old quick.

edmhunter
05-21-2015, 12:29 PM
Depends on the type of salmon and technique. chucking spinners or spoons on my 11' H with a 7000 gets old quick.

I go for Chinook and Coho's a good heavy 9' works for me with my PENN 320 LD with 50 lbs. test use it for Halibut and Cod too.

Wild&Free
05-21-2015, 01:15 PM
I go for Chinook and Coho's a good heavy 9' works for me with my PENN 320 LD with 50 lbs. test use it for Halibut and Cod too.

More leverage with my 11' to turn a running spring then that little 9' of yours.

edmhunter
05-21-2015, 01:20 PM
More leverage with my 11' to turn a running spring then that little 9' of yours.

I hear ya, but I like fighting the fish and enjoy the play. One thing I know for sure is that the minimum pound test is 50! :)

Wild&Free
05-21-2015, 01:22 PM
I hear ya, but I like fighting the fish and enjoy the play. One thing I know for sure is that the minimum pound test is 50! :)

Real men use 40# mono

edmhunter
05-21-2015, 01:29 PM
Real men use 40# mono

Big Game of course :)

Wild&Free
05-21-2015, 01:51 PM
Big Game of course :)

Nothing but on the Skeena systems. ;)

edmhunter
05-21-2015, 02:02 PM
Amen, my brother from another Mother. :)