PDA

View Full Version : the moon does it matter ?

fish on
01-09-2009, 07:00 PM
the full moon is upon us, does this keep the fishing poles in the closet?
my father allways said never fish the full moon. What do you guys ang gals think. Im still going fishing this weekend

Fish Cannon
01-09-2009, 07:04 PM
I usually don't have as good of a catch of full moons, but doesn't deter me from fishing. I will be there this weekend..... +2???? NICE

nicemustang
01-09-2009, 07:27 PM
According to google, some pages say that 3 days before and 3 days after should be the best for fishing, but i think it was mostly talking in regards to the ocean. Some say that in the summer when the moon is full, fish feed all night on flies because they can see them leaving them full and not biting as much. Personally, I've had the best luck on full moons weekend during the winter as the moons still make the fish active, but no flies means they need to eat something.

I dunno...that's just what I think.

Marlin07
01-09-2009, 08:02 PM
nailed them yesterday, bad lunar cycle and the barometric pressure was in the dump. I still feel like it makes a big difference but I guess we bent the rules. goes to show you, you never know

fishman
01-09-2009, 08:42 PM
I think the barometer has a lot more affect on the fish then the the moon has, don't get me wrong the moon seems to affect them but not like the barometer.I think the gravitational pull on the earth is different depending on the phase of the moon....i might be wrong but if i am right you would see a difference from different phases of the moon......myself i use to document everything for years....moon phases...temperature...light out...overcast etc and i find as i got older that i just go fishing whenever i get a chance and i have great days and i have days that are not so great but sometimes it's probably me and not the fish

nicemustang
01-09-2009, 10:22 PM
May be true too, that's another good reason to head to spray tomorrow. Pressure changes doesn't affect fishing much at 85 feet of water (I hope) :P

Fish Cannon
01-10-2009, 06:57 PM
I agree with you guys, pressure changes have a huge impact on fishing. Much much much more than the lunar changes.

bobalong
01-10-2009, 09:11 PM
If you do a search on world records, for walleye anyway, you will read that the majority of them were caught within two days either way of a full moon. As others have posted it is not the light but the change in pressure that triggers the bite. I have never really checked it myself as I too go fishing when I can, regardless of the moon phase.

fluxcore
01-10-2009, 09:45 PM
If you do a search on world records, for walleye anyway, you will read that the majority of them were caught within two days either way of a full moon. As others have posted it is not the light but the change in pressure that triggers the bite. I have never really checked it myself as I too go fishing when I can, regardless of the moon phase.

Me as well, but I have heard the bite is slower because the fish use the extra light to feed throughout the night.

bobalong
01-11-2009, 09:58 AM
Me as well, but I have heard the bite is slower because the fish use the extra light to feed throughout the night.

I have heard that as well, a lot of these huge fish are caught after dark, pulling shallow running cranks over shallow shoals. Here is one a buddy caught pulling cranks after dark......a bit over 12 lbs.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v45/bobalong/Walleye%20Pics/Kellys12.jpg

BobLoblaw
01-11-2009, 10:10 AM
I have heard that as well, a lot of these huge fish are caught after dark, pulling shallow running cranks over shallow shoals. Here is one a buddy caught pulling cranks after dark......a bit over 12 lbs.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v45/bobalong/Walleye%20Pics/Kellys12.jpg
And all those times my Mom told me to stop pullin' my crank after dark...

icefever
01-11-2009, 10:13 AM
Love fishin for burbs in the moon. Easier to see the rigs and they like coming out a night anyways.

nicemustang
01-11-2009, 12:17 PM
Fishing was great for us yesterday, but that was at 60 -70 foot depths and pressure was dropping, which is supposed to be the best time for active fish.

fishman
01-11-2009, 05:34 PM
Big fish are notrious known to prowl in low light condtions as they feel safer that there preditures can't see them, as far as the moon filled nights i think there is a affect but probably not as much as you think it is....as most nights when it is dark and there is no moon i am sure not out fishing but on a moon filled night i will saty out alot later.....but i don't ice fish i only fish soft water and usually the moon filled nights i fish is in June or July and some of the lakes i fish the travelling sedges are not hatching until after dusk but on the other hand i have fished ohter lakes after dark with no sedges hatching and the big fish were in 3 feet or less of water and feeding like crazy....what i am trying to say is we all have our thoughts on this and the bottom line is what ever works for you