PDA

View Full Version : Alberta Fishing License

Kurt505
05-24-2015, 12:05 PM
After reading the the 2015 regulations, what a waste of money buying an Alberta fishing license is. Is our fishery really this depleted or is it that our ESRD have their heads buried so deep up their rears that there is no hope for sportsmen in Alberta?

waterninja
05-24-2015, 12:23 PM
What exactly are you upset about? I did notice that Battle Lake no longer has walleye tags, and I'm sure some other lakes have less keep limits, but not buying your license can get you a nice fine if you do go out fishing.
Personally, I'm mostly catch and release, so esp. with the beautifull weather were having, I'm pretty happy.

Kurt505
05-24-2015, 12:40 PM
I'm talking about having a possession limit the same as a one day catch limit, a 0 pike and a one walleye 45-55 for calling, one walleye over 43 for slave, just to name a few changes. I like to eat fish, especially pike and walleye. The pike and walleye fishing at both lakes is fantastic, there are many lakes in Alberta where the walleye fishing is fantastic, yet they keep the lakes closed for retention, creating greater pressure on the lakes that allowe retention, thus creating a need for tighter restrictions on these bodies of water.

I'm by no means a biologist, but wouldn't creating a slot size retention limit province wide equal out the fishing pressure and in turn help restore a balance to our fisheries?

For the Albertans who are non native and like to eat food that doesn't come from the supermarket, it is becoming a waste of money to support the ESRD in their failed lab experiments. Last time I dipped a line in lesser slave there sure didn't seem to be a lack of walleye. It seems they base their decisions on the number of anglers in a particular water body, rather than fish populations.

I could very well be way off on my take of the matter, but I still think it's a waste of money buying a license and supporting an obviously failing team.

DiabeticKripple
05-24-2015, 12:44 PM
I'm talking about having a possession limit the same as a one day catch limit, a 0 pike and a one walleye 45-55 for calling, one walleye over 43 for slave, just to name a few changes. I like to eat fish, especially pike and walleye. The pike and walleye fishing at both lakes is fantastic, there are many lakes in Alberta where the walleye fishing is fantastic, yet they keep the lakes closed for retention, creating greater pressure on the lakes that allowe retention, thus creating a need for tighter restrictions on these bodies of water.

I'm by no means a biologist, but wouldn't creating a slot size retention limit province wide equal out the fishing pressure and in turn help restore a balance to our fisheries?

For the Albertans who are non native and like to eat food that doesn't come from the supermarket, it is becoming a waste of money to support the ESRD in their failed lab experiments. Last time I dipped a line in lesser slave there sure didn't seem to be a lack of walleye. It seems they base their decisions on the number of anglers in a particular water body, rather than fish populations.

I could very well be way off on my take of the matter, but I still think it's a waste of money buying a license and supporting an obviously failing team.

last i checked slave has been 1 over 43cm for as long as i can remember. they did try one over 43c, and 1 under 43cm as well one year a few years ago.

so the fish population is good in slave, so you want to raise the limit so we can decimate the population again? good thing you are not a bio

Penner
05-24-2015, 12:51 PM

:lol: Don't buy a license and don't fish. More fish for me thanks.

Kurt505
05-24-2015, 01:10 PM
:lol: Don't buy a license and don't fish. More fish for me thanks.

More fish for you? Lol, that's the exact mentality the ESRD has. Do you think the 20+/- fish I keep a year will affect your fishing? One net pulls out about 10yrs of my total retention.

There are walleye fisheries in Alberta with way higher numbers yet still have a 0 retention limit or are draw only. Keeping 95% of the lakes closed to retention is what is going to decimate the fish populations in the lakes that still allow retention.

When was slave's walleye population ever decimated? And was it because of sports fisherman???

Talking moose
05-24-2015, 01:18 PM
Unrelated interesting fact. Lesser slave and touchwood once had a lake trout population..... I get what Kurt is saying. People who eat fish are being funnelled/herded to specific lakes. It's not the answer.

Kurt505
05-24-2015, 01:47 PM
Unrelated interesting fact. Lesser slave and touchwood once had a lake trout population..... I get what Kurt is saying. People who eat fish are being funnelled/herded to specific lakes. It's not the answer.

I've been fishing Calling lake in particular for over 20yrs. The number of anglers on that lake has exploded because it is one of the few lakes that allows retention. 20yrs ago there were many lakes that were open to walleye fishing, now with so few lakes open its really put the pressure on. Next step will be a closer because the evil sportsman has fished out the lake.

Slot sizes work. Make the slot size hard, but not impossible to reach, and at least the herd will be spread province wide rather than at one lake. I'd rather go to lac ste anne or lac la none to try for a slot size to bring home, than to drive to calling or slave for one, BUT I cant. So calling and slave will continue to feel the pressure until they are shut down.

Wild&Free
05-24-2015, 01:53 PM
last i checked slave has been 1 over 43cm for as long as i can remember. they did try one over 43c, and 1 under 43cm as well one year a few years ago.

so the fish population is good in slave, so you want to raise the limit so we can decimate the population again? good thing you are not a bio

When i lived in Slave Lake as a kid, walleye retention was 5 over 43cm. Pretty sure it was 5 pike any size as well. Dad didn't let many pike in the boat however.

Kurt, if you go to slave, get your one fish, then head downstream of the weir and get a 2nd and stop in at calling for a 3rd, then you're at your provincial limit. Take pictures though so you can prove you caught them all from different water bodies.

I usually hit the lesser slave river for one on my way to visit the old man, then get another from the south heart so we can have a meal. It's a PITA, specially when winter retention is 2 over 43 in Slave.

on a side note, they removed the slot on Bischto Lake so I'll be able to take home some good ones for the freezer. Heading up in a week. our 3rd cancelled last minute, so it's just me and pops for 4 days on, imo, the best fishery in the province. unless someone decides to come last minute.

blgoodbrand1
05-24-2015, 01:59 PM
I don't know what the answer is Kurt but your right that the current regime isn't working. Case after case of reactive instead proactive. Surely someone can see these issues coming. Pike, walleye, perch, Bull trout, burbot, grayling. I like fishing and I like eating fish but both are going the way of the dinosaur.

bobalong
05-24-2015, 02:20 PM
I do enjoy the odd fish fry, but I enjoy catching fish much more than eating them, so my "fish eating" when I do it, is reserved for my fishing in Sk.

For the price of a licence I get many more hours of enjoyment than say, playing a round of golf, that is about the same price and is only good for about 4 hours of fun.

I will never defend what the ESRD has done to our fisheries, but the blame must be focused on where it should be, our past government who has shown no, or very little commitment to sustaining our walleye fisheries. They absolutely will not commit money to our walleye fisheries, not for stocking or enforcement, both critical for rebuilding our fisheries.

I realize there are many priorities in our province that are more important, but fishing/camping should not be ignored as it also generates millions of dollars to the economy and is one of the most enjoyable family activities there are IMO.

Winch101
05-24-2015, 02:21 PM
Anti fishing movement in the provincial Govt will be changed ...

Hopefully Rachel has picked as the ESRD minister somebody

Who has a clue . First thing fire the half dozen or so biologists

That are causing all the problems . Start in Lethbridge .

Kurt you are right ....any poacher will tell you. There's plenty

Of fish ......and every year these asinine laws are in effect .....

The poaching numbers grow .

67ZL1
05-24-2015, 02:25 PM
Bringing in a slot size would do wonders for the walleye fisheries in Alberta. Slave is one of they only places in North America you can easily catch 100+ walleye per angler in a day. Too bad they're all 2.5-3.0 lbs - overpopulation? Keeping a few per angler in the 15-19" range would cut down on the poaching and improve the gene pool.

bobalong
05-24-2015, 02:53 PM
Anti fishing movement in the provincial Govt will be changed ...

Hopefully Rachel has picked as the ESRD minister somebody

Who has a clue . First thing fire the half dozen or so biologists

That are causing all the problems . Start in Lethbridge .

Kurt you are right ....any poacher will tell you. There's plenty

Of fish ......and every year these asinine laws are in effect .....

The poaching numbers grow .

You have stated that the biologists are the problem in the south, I talked and worked a bit with quite a few in the Edmonton and northern part of the province, and most of them were pretty good. A couple openly admitted to me they knew what should be done but could not get the funds to do the work? What is the problem with the biologists down there?

bobalong
05-24-2015, 03:02 PM
Bringing in a slot size would do wonders for the walleye fisheries in Alberta. Slave is one of they only places in North America you can easily catch 100+ walleye per angler in a day. Too bad they're all 2.5-3.0 lbs - overpopulation? Keeping a few per angler in the 15-19" range would cut down on the poaching and improve the gene pool.

That is the problem with many lakes in Alberta, walleye conditions have to be almost ideal for a successful spawn. When you are catching a 100/day and they are almost all the same size, there are many year classes missing, where the spawn was almost a total fail, which is why stocking is critical to sustaining our walleye fisheries.

Walleye in our province typically don't spawn until they are about 5+ years old, which is about the size you have listed. Removing many of them when they are just reaching spawning size, sort of eliminates the benefit of protecting them until they reach spawning age.

Kurt505
05-24-2015, 03:24 PM
I don't know the answer, but I do know the current course of action is a lose/lose situation. I don't know how feasible hatcheries are, but perhaps a hatchery program province wide would be money well spent? Rather than donating our money to the government so they can waste it as they please, putting it towards something that will actually bennifit sportsmen would be money well spent? Seeings how we are the men and women who are funding this lab experiment, shouldn't we be able to shut the current mismanagement system down? It just keeps getting worse and worse, yet they stay on the same course????? It seems idiotic.

Talking moose
05-24-2015, 03:25 PM
That is the problem with many lakes in Alberta, walleye conditions have to be almost ideal for a successful spawn. When you are catching a 100/day and they are almost all the same size, there are many year classes missing, where the spawn was almost a total fail, which is why stocking is critical to sustaining our walleye fisheries.

Walleye in our province typically don't spawn until they are about 5+ years old, which is about the size you have listed. Removing many of them when they are just reaching spawning size, sort of eliminates the benefit of protecting them until they reach spawning age.

Why can you catch 100 walleye a day in lesser slave, for the last 20 plus years, and each year the fish are a couple pounds? What year class is missing if it's the same year after year after year? If the fish are always generally the same size each year it's almost as if they are stunting if anything.

Habfan
05-24-2015, 03:33 PM

You should come down south ! I've had 100 fish days on Pine Coulee, McGregor,Traverse and Crawling Valley, all ZERO retention !! These lakes have been fishing like this for a long time to boot ! ESRD said when lakes become self sustainable they will open them up, all lies !!!

Kurt505
05-24-2015, 03:59 PM
You should come down south ! I've had 100 fish days on Pine Coulee, McGregor,Traverse and Crawling Valley, all ZERO retention !! These lakes have been fishing like this for a long time to boot ! ESRD said when lakes become self sustainable they will open them up, all lies !!!

Yet we keep buying licenses year after year while watching our fishing opertunities going down the toilet. Then when I question the system some people think I'm the idiot.

Good thing I'm not a biologist? Maybe too bad i'm not! I doubt I'd do a worse job!!!

Winch101
05-24-2015, 04:45 PM
Another minister ,with no hunting or fishing experience ....
Status of women now part of ESRD ......wonder sheer the funds will go .

All is lost

Here she is ...

http://www.albertandp.ca/shannonphillips

huntsfurfish
05-24-2015, 05:08 PM
Fishing licence is well worth the cost.

Ya like the government is withholding millions of fish from you or us just for fun or because they can!:sign0176:

Here we go again.:argue2::)

Kurt505
05-24-2015, 05:20 PM
Fishing licence is well worth the cost.

Ya like the government is withholding millions of fish from you or us just for fun or because they can!:sign0176:

Here we go again.:argue2::)

This isn't about me, this is about Albertans fisheries. The Alberta government is doing an extremely terrible job at managing our fisheries. If you can't see that you're blind!!!

Not just because they can, but because they don't want to spend the money on sustaining our fisheries.

It's much easier, and cheaper, just to shut it down, rather than come up with a solution. They've got their fingers in their ears, eyes closed, and yelling la la la hoping that works for things to get better. If their grand plan of prohibition is working, why the hell are things still getting worse???!!!

Talking moose
05-24-2015, 05:34 PM
Well they did get one thing right recently......any guesses?

Kurt505
05-24-2015, 05:37 PM
In 1985 there were over 343,000 licenses sold to Alberta residents and lots of fish for everyone, in 2005 there was just over 211,000 with strict retention laws and it's still not getting better. Am I to believe that their current plan will magically start to work? I Think the trial period has expired and it's time for a new plan!!!

Habfan
05-24-2015, 05:38 PM
This isn't about me, this is about Albertans fisheries. The Alberta government is doing an extremely terrible job at managing our fisheries. If you can't see that you're blind!!!

Not just because they can, but because they don't want to spend the money on sustaining our fisheries.

It's much easier, and cheaper, just to shut it down, rather than come up with a solution. They've got their fingers in their ears, eyes closed, and yelling la la la hoping that works for things to get better. If their grand plan of prohibition is working, why the hell are things still getting worse???!!!

Things are getting worse because of the people that think they are doing a good job, same old story, too many people, not enough lakes, but with all these people buying licences why can't they afford to stock more fish if they think these lakes are vulnerable ? The fishery is run by idiots because people will agree with them. Any of the lakes they stock, they close ? What is the sense of this ? Prohibition is not working, it's just creating more poaching !!!

huntsfurfish
05-24-2015, 05:40 PM

You live in edmonton(Big city), lots of people. Great fishing in Alberta where I live. Some things could use a little work though.
Not blind. And not doing that bad of a job with the money they have.
Nice thing about Canada is you are free to move any where you like.
My gawd, you cant really believe what you just said.

Like I said, here we go again.

bobalong
05-24-2015, 05:48 PM
Why can you catch 100 walleye a day in lesser slave, for the last 20 plus years, and each year the fish are a couple pounds? What year class is missing if it's the same year after year after year? If the fish are always generally the same size each year it's almost as if they are stunting if anything.

Actually years back (15 or so) there were quite a few bigger and different size fish caught in Slave, especially in the spring. I am definitely no expert on Slave, or any other lake actually, but in many lakes you will have a very predominant size fish that is just under legal size, or on the smaller size of legal, and I sure a certain amount of stunting is a factor as well. South Buck is a good example of that, and I have fished that lake for quite a few years.

I do know a few years back they conducted a survey on the 4 most popular launches on Slave and determined that from opening weekend until the end of August there was approximately 500-520 boats fishing the lake almost every Saturday and Sunday, and on the additional day on a long weekend. You may also recall a major sting that was conducted on Slave years ago by F/W as poaching was rampant on this lake, there was a full page story about in the Journal.

The boat/angler survey was somewhat dependent on weather, and hours fished per boat varied, but that is a lot of boats fishing one body of water. I believe they also had an average number of anglers per boat listed but I can not remember what it was.

Kurt505
05-24-2015, 05:51 PM
You live in edmonton(Big city), lots of people. Great fishing in Alberta where I live. Some things could use a little work though.
Not blind. And not doing that bad of a job with the money they have.
Nice thing about Canada is you are free to move any where you like.
My gawd, you cant really believe what you just said.

Like I said, here we go again.

If you believe what you just wrote, it's just because you have no clue what a good management system can do. You think they are doing a good job with the money we pay for our licenses??? Imagine if the money actually went towards fish MANAGEMENT?

Im glad the fishing is good where you live, enjoy it while you can. With more prohibition you're going to see more unfamiliar faces in your favorite hole, it's just a matter of time. Then you're going to be singing a different tune

gramps73
05-24-2015, 06:06 PM
The money you pay for you fishing license goes to general revenue and if you think that some dude sitting behind a desk in Ottawa cares about a walleye lake in alberta your are mistaken...

Agreed the money needs to back into our fisheries but that is not what is happening...

Kurt505
05-24-2015, 06:32 PM
Fish kept in 1985, over 11 million, fish kept in 2005, under 2 million.

Brandonkop
05-24-2015, 06:53 PM
Cold Lake = 3 Walleye limit, no tags. Go get em. Stop complaining. Lots of fish in this province and plenty of lakes to keep fish from. They just shut down commercial net fishing in the last year. In a few years I've got my fingers crossed that they might allow more retention. Who knows though. I kind of enjoy going to catch and release lakes where you can catch plenty 6-8 pound walleye. No matter what they do someone will complain.

Talking moose
05-24-2015, 07:08 PM
Well they did get one thing right recently......any guesses?

Brandon got it.....

Kurt505
05-24-2015, 07:11 PM
Cold Lake = 3 Walleye limit, no tags. Go get em. Stop complaining. Lots of fish in this province and plenty of lakes to keep fish from. They just shut down commercial net fishing in the last year. In a few years I've got my fingers crossed that they might allow more retention. Who knows though. I kind of enjoy going to catch and release lakes where you can catch plenty 6-8 pound walleye. No matter what they do someone will complain.

My point exactly. 3 walleye in cold lake. Why are you complaining about decades of mismanagement, just go to cold lake and keep them, for now.... Things are working fine for the way I fish, why are you complaining? Everyone should be happy with the way I like things.

Once again, this isn't about me, it's about the incompetent management program currently going on in Alberta, and the fact they think it's working! How much money from our provincial fishing license program do you think goes towards our provincial fish management?

Hopefully (fingers crossed) in the next couple years magic will happen and prohibition will start working rather than proper management.

Robbing Peter to pay Paul has never worked as a long term solution, what makes you think it will work now?

Fyi, 10yrs ago at calling catching 20-30 walleye 8-12lbs in a day was common. Once calling lake became one of the only lakes in northern Alberta you could retain walleye everyone and their brother in law was out there. Look at the lake today.

Kurt505
05-24-2015, 07:37 PM
Brandon got it.....

Any idea what their motivation to stop commercial fishing was? Scientific or political?

Talking moose
05-24-2015, 07:38 PM
Any idea what their motivation to stop commercial fishing was? Scientific or political?

Defiantly political.

fishstix
05-24-2015, 07:44 PM

Where are these numbers coming from?

Kurt505
05-24-2015, 07:48 PM
Where are these numbers coming from?

http://www1.agric.gov.ab.ca/$Department/deptdocs.nsf/all/csi12823/$FILE/Volume-I-Fishing-Impacts-May-11.pdf

Average # of retained fish per angler, 1975, 24 fish, 1985, 37 fish 2005, 9 fish. Fewer anglers and less retention. Failed system.

Habfan
05-24-2015, 07:55 PM

And no matter what they do some will say they are right ! :fighting0074:

huntsfurfish
05-24-2015, 08:57 PM

You do realize that there were fisheries collapsing from the 80's. Hmmmm.

My take is that it is getting better.

Best thing they can do down south here is reduce the limits some more.

DiabeticKripple
05-24-2015, 09:04 PM
i think the fishing in the last 5 years has been better than ever

Kurt505
05-24-2015, 09:08 PM
You do realize that there were fisheries collapsing from the 80's. Hmmmm.

35yrs to fix them, so far it's not working. So keep up the good work right? It's bound to work someday. Wrong.

If a slot size was introduced 35yrs ago I wonder where our fishery would be today? I'd be willing to bet everything I got it would be in a hell of a lot better shape than it is today!

If walleye was open to a slot size province wide, don't you think there would be a higher amount of anglers at the lakes that held a higher population of walleye? In effect giving lakes with lower numbers a break naturally?

Once pinehurst, beaver, lac la biche, Wolf,(to name a few) were shut down, the pressure really hit calling. If there were to be a slot size with lower retention numbers on these lakes, calling lake would still be thriving. Instead ESRD is killing Albertans lakes one lake at a time.

Habfan
05-24-2015, 09:12 PM
i think the fishing in the last 5 years has been better than ever

The fishing is great ! So why do they keep saying the fisheries are collapsed, thus resulting in more closures ?

huntsfurfish
05-24-2015, 09:16 PM
If you believe what you just wrote, it's just because you have no clue what a good management system can do. You think they are doing a good job with the money we pay for our licenses??? Imagine if the money actually went towards fish MANAGEMENT?

Im glad the fishing is good where you live, enjoy it while you can. With more prohibition you're going to see more unfamiliar faces in your favorite hole, it's just a matter of time. Then you're going to be singing a different tune

Please enlighten me/us.

If you knew anything about me you would know that I think and have said on here that more money should go into it.

And just because you buy a fishing licence doesnt entitle you to loads of fish to take home. It does allow you to fish, have fun doing it and keep fish where and when possible!

Can some things be better - always room for improvement!

But if you think you should be entitled to load up on fish...... Think again!

Management stategies are changing. Not going fast enough for some I guess.

Wont mention fishing pressure or small amounts of water bodies in AB.

And yes, I am glad you are not one of our bio's also.

DiabeticKripple
05-24-2015, 09:21 PM
The fishing is great ! So why do they keep saying the fisheries are collapsed, thus resulting in more closures ?

maybe the walleye has collapsed, but other species are thriving

huntsfurfish
05-24-2015, 09:21 PM
35yrs to fix them, so far it's not working. So keep up the good work right? It's bound to work someday. Wrong.

If a slot size was introduced 35yrs ago I wonder where our fishery would be today? I'd be willing to bet everything I got it would be in a hell of a lot better shape than it is today!

If walleye was open to a slot size province wide, don't you think there would be a higher amount of anglers at the lakes that held a higher population of walleye? In effect giving lakes with lower numbers a break naturally?

Once pinehurst, beaver, lac la biche, Wolf,(to name a few) were shut down, the pressure really hit calling. If there were to be a slot size with lower retention numbers on these lakes, calling lake would still be thriving. Instead ESRD is killing Albertans lakes one lake at a time.

Thought slot size would come up.:):sign0176:

JohninAB
05-24-2015, 09:23 PM
Fisheries are coming along nicely.

No complaints here.

Slot size, I concur with huntsfurfish.:sign0176:

huntsfurfish
05-24-2015, 09:26 PM

Strange how it seems to be reservoirs closest to Calgary;)

bobalong
05-24-2015, 09:31 PM
http://www1.agric.gov.ab.ca/$Department/deptdocs.nsf/all/csi12823/$FILE/Volume-I-Fishing-Impacts-May-11.pdf

Average # of retained fish per angler, 1975, 24 fish, 1985, 37 fish 2005, 9 fish. Fewer anglers and less retention. Failed system.

I think it is also important to note that up until the mid 80's trout was the preferred species, pike second and then walleye/whitefish in the central and south part of the province, where a huge majority of the population lives. Also important a lot, if not all of the trout fisheries can be fished from shore. Trout stocking is relatively cheap and stocking survival rates are high.

Sometime during the late 80's walleye became the preferred species. They are very slow to mature, stocking survival rates at least back then were very low, less than 5 % and expensive. No walleye at all were stocked in Alberta from 1999 to 2006 and then only in one lake, I think now they maybe stock 3?

Check Sk. stocking program, even though they have many more lakes, and a much smaller population, less revenue, you will see what commitment to maintaining fisheries looks like.

Trout stocking is still relatively cheap, stocking survival rates are high, walleye survival rates are low, and still expensive. The last year I sat on the fisheries roundtable committee the province spent 6.2 million on trout stocking and 200k on walleye stocking, yet openly admitted walleye was still the number one species. When I asked the fisheries rep, why this was, his response was.........that's a good question.:angry3:

I will agree with what others have said, that some of our walleye fisheries are recovering, and some pretty well..............but it has taken almost 20 years of closures to achieve that . Closures are not fisheries management, what they are is a cheap way to reduce harvest, and with very little to almost no enforcement, this just compounded the problem.

None of this changes the fact that ESRD has not done a very poor of fisheries management, walleye stocking is expensive, trout are not, and can be stocked in a lot more bodies of water........it still comes down to money.

Kurt505
05-24-2015, 09:34 PM
Please enlighten me/us.

If you knew anything about me you would know that I think and have said on here that more money should go into it.

And just because you buy a fishing licence doesnt entitle you to loads of fish to take home. It does allow you to fish, have fun doing it and keep fish where and when possible!

Can some things be better - always room for improvement!

But if you think you should be entitled to load up on fish...... Think again!

Management stategies are changing. Not going fast enough for some I guess.

Wont mention fishing pressure or small amounts of water bodies in AB.

And yes, I am glad you are not one of our bio's also.

You asked me to please enlighten you/us, on what exactly do you want me to enlighten you on?

Not changing fast enough? Lol, more like going backwards for the last decade or so.

Did you happen to look at the stats I posted? 1985 we had more anglers in Alberta than in 2005. Fewer anglers = less fishing pressure. More lakes closed to fishing = too much fishing pressure on lakes that are open. In effect destroying otherwise healthy fisheries. Hundreds of lakes in Alberta hold numbers that would handle fish retention of a slot size and remain healthy fisheries, yet it's not an option.

Enlighten me/us, what would you suggest happens in Alberta to create a healthy fishery?

huntsfurfish
05-24-2015, 09:41 PM
You asked me to please enlighten you/us, on what exactly do you want me to enlighten you on?

Not changing fast enough? Lol, more like going backwards for the last decade or so.

Did you happen to look at the stats I posted? 1985 we had more anglers in Alberta than in 2005. Fewer anglers = less fishing pressure. More lakes closed to fishing = too much fishing pressure on lakes that are open. In effect destroying otherwise healthy fisheries. Hundreds of lakes in Alberta hold numbers that would handle fish retention of a slot size and remain healthy fisheries, yet it's not an option.

Enlighten me/us, what would you suggest happens in Alberta to create a healthy fishery?

Why just 85 and 2005?:)

huntsfurfish
05-24-2015, 09:45 PM
I apologize for what happened from 1900 to 2005. lol

I think they have been changing in the last 5-10 years. But I guess that is just me thinking that.

Habfan
05-24-2015, 09:47 PM
maybe the walleye has collapsed, but other species are thriving

Nope ! Walleye are numerous, pike are the new closures on southern lakes because of zero retention on walleyes people are eating the pike, every time they close one lake it puts more pressure on other lakes. The faster you close lakes to retention, the faster another lake gets more pressure resulting in more closures. No matter how you look at it some people want to eat the fish they catch, and don't say eat a rainbow from a dugout please, but ESRD must come up with a different solution to this problem ! How many zero retentions do you need to be convinced there is a problem. My solution is to build a hatchery that is for other species than trout and stock lakes on a annual or semi annual basis of a equal amount of fish the hatchery can produce instead of putting 15 million in one lake and none anywhere else then close the lake. This province has the $ and seems to just keep ignoring this issue.

huntsfurfish
05-24-2015, 09:50 PM
Nope ! Walleye are numerous, pike are the new closures on southern lakes because of zero retention on walleyes people are eating the pike, every time they close one lake it puts more pressure on other lakes. The faster you close lakes to retention, the faster another lake gets more pressure resulting in more closures. No matter how you look at it some people want to eat the fish they catch, and don't say eat a rainbow from a dugout please, but ESRD must come up with a different solution to this problem ! How many zero retentions do you need to be convinced there is a problem. My solution is to build a hatchery that is for other species than trout and stock lakes on a annual or semi annual basis of a equal amount of fish the hatchery can produce instead of putting 15 million in one lake and none anywhere else then close the lake. This province has the $ and seems to just keep ignoring this issue.

There will be lots of whitefish now. And carp.

ps: Stocking isnt necessarily the solution to all our problems either.

Kurt505
05-24-2015, 09:58 PM
I apologize for what happened from 1900 to 2005. lol

I think they have been changing in the last 5-10 years. But I guess that is just me thinking that.

You asked to be enlighten, but haven't stated what you need enlightenment on? Also, I asked what you think would work and I got no answer.

What has happened in the last 5-10 years that is so good???

Other than putting a stop to commercial fishing?

Kurt505
05-24-2015, 10:10 PM
Why just 85 and 2005?:)

It just happened to be what came up
When I was looking for stats. 1975-2005. I just picked out some of the more interesting facts from the stats. 1985 had the highest number of anglers recorded in Alberta.

huntsfurfish
05-24-2015, 11:25 PM
You asked to be enlighten, but haven't stated what you need enlightenment on? Also, I asked what you think would work and I got no answer.

What has happened in the last 5-10 years that is so good???

Other than putting a stop to commercial fishing?

Fishing in the area I live(South). Is better than it has ever been. Especially in the last 10 years.

Kurt, what are you looking for and expecting? It is not an easy fix to please everyone. I am close to good fishing for most species, but do not live close to a million other people.

Unless there is a huge influx of money, you will not be able to keep alot of fish in AB. And even then I doubt you will be able to keep much. If good fishing is measured by you keeping lots of fish, well it aint going to happen.

Are the lakes up there collapsed or just being protected from collapse?

huntsfurfish
05-24-2015, 11:31 PM
By the way, I think almost all of the money from fishing licenses goes to the ACA, not the government coffers.:)

Mackinaw
05-24-2015, 11:34 PM
Im in Edmonton fish quite a bit never have problem putting fish on the table ....three hour drive you can have all you need no tags . If you don't think you are getting your moneys worth fish in a different province. Before the summer is over I will need to buy 2 maybe 3 more licences not because there is no fishing in Alberta but because of what I fish for.

Mack

huntsfurfish
05-24-2015, 11:34 PM
It just happened to be what came up
When I was looking for stats. 1975-2005. I just picked out some of the more interesting facts from the stats. 1985 had the highest number of anglers recorded in Alberta.

And just so happens in 85 ish was about when fisheries collapsed in AB.

More seniors in the last 10 years than ever before and growing.

More poaching now than ever before.

spinN'flyfish
05-24-2015, 11:44 PM

yep, many populations crashed in the 80's . Lots of kids and seniors last few years, and poachers, i agree on that

bobalong
05-24-2015, 11:59 PM

Just curious in what area you are talking about, I fished quite a few lakes between 85-90 and at that time in the central and north areas fishing was very good, started to slow down quite a bit from 90 on and in 95 was when some of the closures started.

Kurt505
05-25-2015, 08:02 AM

Where can I find the stats on collapsed fisheries in Alberta? I'm having a hard time finding the numbers and dates.

More poaching now than ever, could it be because Alberta anglers are not allowed to retain fish even from healthy fisheries?

Mackinaw
05-25-2015, 08:16 AM
Where can I find the stats on collapsed fisheries in Alberta? I'm having a hard time finding the numbers and dates.

More poaching now than ever, could it be because Alberta anglers are not allowed to retain fish even from healthy fisheries?

Or it could be there is more anglers. Meaning more anglers with decaying morals. Or more more angers that can't or won't read the regs.

Mack

huntsfurfish
05-25-2015, 08:41 AM
Just curious in what area you are talking about, I fished quite a few lakes between 85-90 and at that time in the central and north areas fishing was very good, started to slow down quite a bit from 90 on and in 95 was when some of the closures started.

Sorry yes it was 90 to 95(old age), but it did not collapse over night. Fishing I think started to change in the mid to late 80's.
Southern reservoirs-16" size limits for Walleye.

huntsfurfish
05-25-2015, 08:47 AM

So the answer is to let them keep them so they dont poach?:sign0161:

Kurt505
05-25-2015, 08:58 AM
Or it could be there is more anglers. Meaning more anglers with decaying morals. Or more more angers that can't or won't read the regs.

Mack

In 2014 there was just over 266,000 anglers in Alberta, that's about 80,000 less than in 1985. The more I look into this, the more I think the increased angling pressure argument is a myth. Since 2005 the number of anglers in Alberta has fluctuated from 211,000 to 268,000. Over 28% of the money collected from our fishing licenses goes directly to the federal government, that's in the link I provided. Also I read that sport fishing in Alberta generates about $440,000,000 annually to our economy. I'm sure if the government cared about our fisheries they could put a couple bucks aside for a walleye hatchery program.

huntsfurfish
05-25-2015, 09:05 AM
I should have put this in with post 61.

Something that is often overlooked is the numbers of good fishermen/women.

In the age of the intenet, word travels fast. From that hot little lake, to info on how to catch fish. Things that took years to figure out/learn can be had overnight.

Way more boats now than years ago. Way better boats now than years ago.
Better and more fishing gear.

Unbelievable technology in the form of electronics. Fish finders that see 300' to either side of the boat(side scan sonar), down scan sonar, chirp sonar and even regular 2d sonar. Then you have GPS, and lake maps plus now you can chart your own lake. Not to mention underwater cameras.
All this helps you catch fish. Most of this wasnt available 20 years ago!

Stop blaming everyone and everything else! We take lots of fish!

Kurt505
05-25-2015, 09:06 AM
So the answer is to let them keep them so they dont poach?:sign0161:

No, cut their hands off. :thinking-006:

I'm not trying to come up with a solution to poaching, I'm just pointing out a possible motive behind it.

What's your plan? You seem to think I'm way off on this, but you haven't brought any information up other than the lakes collapsed in 1985ish, something I can't verify.

huntsfurfish
05-25-2015, 09:06 AM
In 2014 there was just over 266,000 anglers in Alberta, that's about 80,000 less than in 1985. The more I look into this, the more I think the increased angling pressure argument is a myth. Since 2005 the number of anglers in Alberta has fluctuated from 211,000 to 268,000. Over 28% of the money collected from our fishing licenses goes directly to the federal government, that's in the link I provided. Also I read that sport fishing in Alberta generates about $440,000,000 annually to our economy. I'm sure if the government cared about our fisheries they could put a couple bucks aside for a walleye hatchery program.

You ever stop to consider that some of the drop could be related to people becoming a senior and no longer needing a license!

huntsfurfish
05-25-2015, 09:09 AM
No, cut their hands off. :thinking-006:

I'm not trying to come up with a solution to poaching, I'm just pointing out a possible motive behind it.

What's your plan? You seem to think I'm way off on this, but you haven't brought any information up other than the lakes collapsed in 1985ish, something I can't verify.

I was wrong about the lakes collapse in 85.

Kurt505
05-25-2015, 09:11 AM
I should have put this in with post 61.

Something that is often overlooked is the numbers of good fishermen/women.

In the age of the intenet, word travels fast. From that hot little lake, to info on how to catch fish. Things that took years to figure out/learn can be had overnight.

Way more boats now than years ago. Way better boats now than years ago.
Better and more fishing gear.

Unbelievable technology in the form of electronics. Fish finders that see 300' to either side of the boat(side scan sonar), down scan sonar, chirp sonar and even regular 2d sonar. Then you have GPS, and lake maps plus now you can chart your own lake. Not to mention underwater cameras.
All this helps you catch fish. Most of this wasnt available 20 years ago!

Stop blaming everyone and everything else! We take lots of fish!

Look at the stats I provided!

There are less anglers retaining less fish, it doesn't matter if they are trolling out of their space ship using light sabres converted into fishing rods.

Who am I blaming? Who is everyone and everything, and who is the we that is taking lots of fish? Do you work for ESRD? You sure seem upset that I think they're doing a terrible job at management.

huntsfurfish
05-25-2015, 09:12 AM

people are now complaining there is to many walleye. And it is not productive to stock if good recruitment is already there.

lannie
05-25-2015, 09:14 AM
What about targeting lake whitefish in the winter and summer if you want to eat fish? Their numbers and sizes are very good and with the commercial fishing gone now the whitefish should be filling a void for many fisherman who want to eat fish. If anyone was interested in trying out fly fishing the whites would be a great target for that too.

I have also read many times in this thread where people are coming to conclusions on the size of fish in a water body they are fishing by what they catch. I would not think that would be a very good sampling as most people catch fish on the hooks they like, depths they believe the fish to be in etc.
Most fisherman opinions are unwavering but the results would not be very scientific and it would be interesting to hear from one of the biologists that do this to see how they determine the sizes in a water body. It is very near sighted slaying bio's results with out actually having factual information that they are forced/or have available for use. We are always looking for better results and it is very easy to find fault and point fingers but I think Alberta does have some fantastic fishing available too.

Kurt505
05-25-2015, 09:14 AM
You ever stop to consider that some of the drop could be related to people becoming a senior and no longer needing a license!

Are you suggesting seniors never fished in 1985?

Kurt505
05-25-2015, 09:15 AM
people are now complaining there is to many walleye. And it is not productive to stock if good recruitment is already there.

So why is it closed for retention. Someone is talking out of both sides of their mouth.

Xbolt7mm
05-25-2015, 09:18 AM
Strange how it seems to be reservoirs closest to Calgary;)

caught 28 pike at Badger yesterday,,,,nothing legal though. used to be the best big fish lake in the province 15 years ago

huntsfurfish
05-25-2015, 09:19 AM
Look at the stats I provided!

There are less anglers retaining less fish, it doesn't matter if they are trolling out of their space ship using light sabres converted into fishing rods.

Who am I blaming? Who is everyone and everything, and who is the we that is taking lots of fish? Do you work for ESRD? You sure seem upset that I think they're doing a terrible job at management.

Im just saying I dont think they are doing a terrible job. I have a different view than you. Dont work, retired.:sHa_shakeshout:

Good luck fishin and remember to put em back.:)

huntsfurfish
05-25-2015, 09:20 AM
caught 28 pike at Badger yesterday,,,,nothing legal though. used to be the best big fish lake in the province 15 years ago

see post 69

huntsfurfish
05-25-2015, 09:24 AM
So why is it closed for retention. Someone is talking out of both sides of their mouth.

Tags restrict what is taken out.