PDA

View Full Version : A few smelly walleye in pigeon

briangeorge
05-25-2015, 06:45 AM
Any one else notice the odd walleye you pull up in Pigeon has an awful smell to them. I was out yesterday and wife and I unhooked and released about 10. There was about 3 of them that when I was releasing them there appeared to be an awful stench/smell that I can't even describe. Just wondering if anyone else noticed this.

EZM
05-25-2015, 07:51 AM
Post spawners maybe? only a guess ..... that is a curious observation ......

RigPig
05-25-2015, 07:54 AM
I had this last year at Lac St.Anne last year with all walleye I caught. Had tags to fill and was so disgusted I did not even fill them. Smelled like garbage rotting in the sun.

chriscosta
05-25-2015, 06:04 PM
Call me crazy but niether of those lakes i would consider to be a very "clean" lake and if the fish smells bad like that and its alive ....i wouldnt bother fiĺling the tags at said lake ...but who knows maybe do a little research it might not be as bad as it seems...thats just my opinion tho i honestly dont know much about it

Astrocyte
05-25-2015, 06:18 PM
We took a trip to Lac St. Anne yesterday caught about 20 and had no issues with smelly fish. One did have a lesion growth on it. We were around Ross Haven.

Mackinaw
05-25-2015, 09:33 PM
Sometimes fish will smell different because of what they are eating butIit is usually when fileting them that you smell it. Would be interesting to see what they have been eating.

Mack

dmcbride
05-26-2015, 11:15 AM
Pulled out 32 at Pigeon yesterday. No fish smelt, had tumors, lesions, bird marks or leeches hanging on.

Only found issue with one fish that had a dime size piece of it's lip missing / bleeding where it had been ripped out by another fisherman recently.

There are way too many walleye in Pigeon, hungry buggers too.

Yep.

EZM
05-26-2015, 12:41 PM
Pulled out 32 at Pigeon yesterday. No fish smelt, had tumors, lesions, bird marks or leeches hanging on.

Only found issue with one fish that had a dime size piece of it's lip missing / bleeding where it had been ripped out by another fisherman recently.

There are way too many walleye in Pigeon, hungry buggers too.

That's great news .... I have 2 walleye Class A tags to fill !!!!

The Class B's are common and easy to catch by the dozens ..... the A's are a little tougher but very doable in a good day.

binnzer32
05-26-2015, 02:22 PM
I find it the total opposite. I usually get class A undersubscribed, but this year only B were available... Last year we filled 9 class As in a few hours. The lake is polluted with them in all depth ranges. That's great news .... I have 2 walleye Class A tags to fill !!!!

The Class B's are common and easy to catch by the dozens ..... the A's are a little tougher but very doable in a good day.

Garry B
05-26-2015, 02:38 PM
Any one else notice the odd walleye you pull up in Pigeon has an awful smell to them. I was out yesterday and wife and I unhooked and released about 10. There was about 3 of them that when I was releasing them there appeared to be an awful stench/smell that I can't even describe

Maybe those ones forgot their deoderant that day?

cube
05-26-2015, 03:16 PM

Interesting, last year I found just the reverse. I would catch many many more A's than B's. You should have your A tags filled in just a few minutes.

Fishslayer99
05-26-2015, 03:35 PM
I'm guessing fishy...just a shot in the dark...yea I did just make that ridiculous comment, its been a long week today!!!:scared0018:

Habfan
05-26-2015, 05:02 PM
That's great news .... I have 2 walleye Class A tags to fill !!!!

What were you doing to be catching all the B class ! I went through about fifty fish to get my B class ? Maybe 2 Class and the rest were A class !

EZM
05-26-2015, 08:31 PM
What were you doing to be catching all the B class ! I went through about fifty fish to get my B class ? Maybe 2 Class and the rest were A class !

Good question ..... I guess just jigging a minnow ...... nothing special .....

Out in the area by the provincial park. The one that usually has a dozen boats.

I even tried to move in a little shallower, then a little deeper ........ all these fish it seemed were perfectly between 45cm-50cm ..... like we were catching the same damn fish ....... a hundred times for the two of us to fill 4 tags ....

Don't get me wrong ..... we were off the lake shortly after lunch with our tags filled ...... but we sure went through quite a few B's.

Ironic ............ lol

I definitely want to get out there before the water turns into pea soup ... that lake gets nasty in the warm weather. That's the reason I fish it once a year, fill the tags shortly after opening and never return until the following year.