PDA

View Full Version : Sturgeon question

Hunter1602
05-27-2015, 08:06 PM
I was looking for a little help from the fishing fellas.
I've always wanted to fish for a sturgeon (bucket list), however, with a young family I've never been able to get away for a summer fishing trip... But... The wife is taking off with kiddo in July which leaves me a couple weeks for perhaps some fishing!! I am looking for any advice pertaining to a set up (rod size, line size, gear? As well as a good location preferably closer to calgary? In any event, thanks in advance!
H1602

The Fisherman Guy
05-27-2015, 11:47 PM
Sturgeon fishing near Calgary, you are looking at approximately 3 hours drive; either north to the NSR or south to the SSR.

For a setup, either fishing from a boat or from shore, I would use the following:

A 8-10ft rod with a fast action, but heavy backbone. Shakespeare Ugly Sticks, Tiger or Catfish rods are great for Lake Sturgeon.

A levelwind reel spooled with 65-80lb braided line helps battle those big fish in the heavy current. Berkley Big Game braid on a Abu Garcia 6500 LC line counter reel helps to find exactly where the fish are holding. The line counter will help you pinpoint where they are holding. Cast out to 130', and if you don't get any bites, keep reeling it in 10 feet at a time every twenty minutes. Once you get action, note the distance and location.

A pyramid sinker on a sliding sturgeon setup is best. Use a 3/0 Gamakatsu hook baited with Nightcrawler worm.

Good luck and tight lines

pinelakeperch
05-27-2015, 11:49 PM
Could you please post a pic or link to a sliding sturgeon rig? Thanks!

Chief16
05-28-2015, 01:31 AM
There were a few posted on here but I can't seem to find any at the moment.

Regardless, if memory serves me correct it goes; mainline which has a weight and a couple beads (protect the swivel), swivel, leader, hook.

SKSniper
05-28-2015, 05:53 AM
There were a few posted on here but I can't seem to find any at the moment.

Regardless, if memory serves me correct it goes; mainline which has a weight and a couple beads (protect the swivel), swivel, leader, hook.

Bingo!
http://i1279.photobucket.com/albums/y521/twy25/P1020073_zpshmfv8cxe.jpg

waterninja
05-28-2015, 10:00 AM
Good luck on your stuegeon hunt. Though last year was great for sturgeon on the NSR, and this year is starting out good, if I were you I would consider the SSR as it seems to hold more Sturgeon. Hopefully you can squeeze in some day trips.

Hunter1602
05-28-2015, 06:33 PM
Thanks for the info guys.
Is there a spot on the SSR that someone can recommend ?
I'll be headed to WSS this weekend to look at picking up a rod.

Carson13
05-28-2015, 10:10 PM
What weight sinker would you recommend for a newbie?

CanadianBadass
05-29-2015, 08:23 AM
http://i59.tinypic.com/i4qqmf.jpg

pinelakeperch
05-29-2015, 11:35 AM
Awesome, thanks everyone. I had kind of gathered that those rigs would be the way to go. One question, why the differing line strengths for the main line and the line to the hook?

Chief16
06-01-2015, 02:20 PM
Awesome, thanks everyone. I had kind of gathered that those rigs would be the way to go. One question, why the differing line strengths for the main line and the line to the hook?

If you snag, you only lose the hook and not the whole set up as the leader breaks first :)

WayneChristie
06-01-2015, 04:25 PM
Just curious why people would rather lose their hook with fish than their weight? Tie your weight on with 20 pound mono so it breaks off instead of the hook that should be on the full strength main line. Around here sturgeon are smart, if there is anything to snag up in they will use it to their advantage I even had one jump right into the willows at the shore and still managed to land it

bobalong
06-01-2015, 11:24 PM
http://i59.tinypic.com/i4qqmf.jpg

I use a rig similar to this but put a "line slide" on the line so I can change weight sizes and remove the weight when rod is in transport. Once the flow decreases I use a 4oz. flat style weight, I find when retrieving the rigs there is much less drag on these and they snag a lot less than the pyramid style.

Chief16
06-02-2015, 07:33 PM
Just curious why people would rather lose their hook with fish than their weight? Tie your weight on with 20 pound mono so it breaks off instead of the hook that should be on the full strength main line. Around here sturgeon are smart, if there is anything to snag up in they will use it to their advantage I even had one jump right into the willows at the shore and still managed to land it

Because who wants lead weights scattering our river bottoms and polluting?

pdfish
06-04-2015, 06:36 AM
I use a rig similar to this but put a "line slide" on the line so I can change weight sizes and remove the weight when rod is in transport. Once the flow decreases I use a 4oz. flat style weight, I find when retrieving the rigs there is much less drag on these and they snag a lot less than the pyramid style.

I think the snap swivel acts as the "line slide". I run this exact setup and changing the weight with the snap swivel takes about 2 seconds.