PDA

View Full Version : Bakers Narrows

mongo
05-28-2015, 07:28 AM
On a trip to the camp in late June and was looking for some tips on lakes and hot spots for lakers and walleye . lots of lake to cover in short time any help would be appreciated. Also the best way to catch a big Lakers ,or usual go to in north sask is down riggers and 5 of diamonds and Williams chrome and blue.

Teamprotz
05-28-2015, 07:10 PM
Main lake off Mackenzie point. About a 12 mile run from campground. Few downrigger , most anchor and "jig" using sucker meat. Lots of spots out there. My avatar is a 45.5" from Athapap .

Nova
05-29-2015, 10:08 AM
Are you staying at the provincial park or the lodge?

retten
05-29-2015, 03:01 PM
On a trip to the camp in late June and was looking for some tips on lakes and hot spots for lakers and walleye . lots of lake to cover in short time any help would be appreciated. Also the best way to catch a big Lakers ,or usual go to in north sask is down riggers and 5 of diamonds and Williams chrome and blue.

7 or 8 years ago in the area working, killing some time under the highway bridge. While being checked by the CO's, I hooked a 39"/16.5 lb walleye,
they measured and weighed her.
To that point in my life I did not beleive fish like this existed absolutely amazing, beautiful lake great fishing, will get back there before they plant me.

gatorhunter
05-29-2015, 10:53 PM
39 inch walleye would be tied for #1 in Manitoba. Only thing is there's only one walleye listed at 39 inches; caught in the Red River in 1997. No Lake Athapap walleyes in the top 20 in Manitoba.

mongo
05-30-2015, 09:53 AM
staying at the lodge nova.

Nova
05-30-2015, 10:42 AM
If you're staying at the lodge, they should be able to offer you some solid advice. They also have some decent maps at a reasonable price.

To be honest, if I was to fish lakers there again I would likely hire a guide for a half day, unless you already have a ton of experience finding and catching them. It would also be beneficial having somebody who knows the way out to the big lake. It isn't overly hazardous (the lake is pretty well marked), but there are a few spots to watch out for and there are a couple narrow/shallow sections that will feel kind of sketchy the first time you pass through.

I was brand new to lakers last year and didn't have a ton of luck, only caught 2 in the general vicinity of Mackenzie point. One trolling a Williams wobbler, the other using a buzz bomb.

I'm heading up in that general direction in a couple weeks. Planning of sticking more to the Grass River system this time. Iskwasum, Loucks, Reed, Tramping, Wekusko. Barbe for rainbows and may try Rocky or Two Loon for smallmouth as well. Beautiful area, lots of lakes a stones throw from each other. Very easy to get hooked.

mongo
05-31-2015, 07:51 AM
thanks for the tips guys much appreciated think we will get a guide for a day to get us on some spots.

mongo
05-31-2015, 07:53 AM
Nova let me know if ya get on to some smallmouth that would be interesting.