PDA

View Full Version : Value of Walk-in Cooler

Rackmastr
03-09-2007, 10:00 PM
Hey All,
Had a friend of mine offer to buy my walk-in cooler. It came with the house we purchased and he wants it for his bear guiding camp. I have used it once and it costs a pile to operate, and we're thinking it might free up some space in our garage.

Its a 6x10' and is about 7.5' high and has 4 glass doors on the front and the one big side door. Comes with two compressors/condensors and is made by Coldstream.

Any ideas on what its worth?

RyanGSP
03-09-2007, 11:03 PM
Atleast a texas of Jack :b and unlimited use of the bear camp

Brady
03-09-2007, 11:20 PM
Hey Trev, I don't know what it would be worth, but I am interested in building one myself. You mention that the cost to much to operate, is this because of the glass doors? Just curious, as I don't want an energy eater, but it would be nice to have my own, as I do most of my own butchering.

Rackmastr
03-09-2007, 11:47 PM
No, I dont think its cause of the glass doors....it just eats energy keeping it cool. Not sure why. I butcher my own, but dont see myself using it unless its September or early October......who knows.....just tossin around the idea of having all that space in my garage open!!

gopherslayer
03-10-2007, 12:28 AM
We were just doing some reno's on a liquor store and they were building a walk in cooler. Was talking to the refrigeration guy and he was waiting on parts because they didn't tell him the whole fromt was glass. The glass doesn't have the R value a wall does. I'm not sure the difference off hand but I could probably find it.

chef
03-10-2007, 12:41 AM
The glass doors are the biggest factor in loss of temp and humidity in a cooler , you would be better off making them solid ,or building a solid unit and lining it with stainless or metal sheeting .using the compressors from a pop cooler,..Depending on how old the unit you have is ,i would say its at least worth a thousand bucks up to 3000 depending on condition and the coolant ,, is it abolished freon or R rated gas.

Brady
03-10-2007, 09:34 AM
Ya I would think that glass would not hold the cold in as well. I am not sure on exactly what I will be building mine out of, but these tips sure help. Sorry to side track your thread Trev.:o Once I get closer to buildin mine, I will put up a thread on here askin for advice.

Rackmastr
03-10-2007, 11:02 AM
Side-track away....its good conversation! I think glass doors or not, its still an energy pig, but ya...Im sure without the doors you'd run a little less energy. Main thing is the temp outside and the energy required to keep it cool if its warm outside I think....

No one has any idea what one is worth? I'm thinking maybe $2000ish?

Brady
03-10-2007, 11:31 AM
Got any pics? Might help us give ya a $$$$

Rackmastr
03-10-2007, 11:58 AM
I'll take some today....its a beast......

Grizzly Adams
03-10-2007, 12:26 PM
Given that it has glass doors and is located in a garage, I would tend to think its a salvage to begin with. Not sure of the value, but the age of the compressors would tend to devaluate it. Probably one of those things you take what you can get.
Grizz

ex811
03-10-2007, 01:54 PM
Rack, why don't you give a Refrigeration and Food Store Equipment place a call. Try CTR here in Calgary (1-877- 736-7287 or 403-444-2877), I've shop there for all my 'butcheren' needs...they have lots of units around there, used and new. They might be able to give you a ball park price quote for your unit.

Rackmastr
03-10-2007, 02:28 PM
Given that it has glass doors and is located in a garage, I would tend to think its a salvage to begin with. Not sure of the value, but the age of the compressors would tend to devaluate it. Probably one of those things you take what you can get.

Thanks for your assumptions....but its not a salvage. It was purchased brand new and used for a business by the previous owners.

EX811,
Thanks for that number. I've looked online a bit and got a few good ideas so far, but I'll give them a ring and might get closer.....

gunned
03-10-2007, 07:07 PM
check your messages

Rackmastr
03-10-2007, 07:42 PM
Got it...thanks gunned!

Brady
03-10-2007, 07:45 PM
Me too, thanx Gunned.:D