PDA

View Full Version : 15 HP Force Outboard question

Nikanit
06-01-2015, 05:51 PM
Hi Guys,
we just bought a 12 footer with an older FORCE 15 HP motor, and we were wondering if you have to mix the fuel for it with oil. It kinda looks like it but we really cannot tell, and we would like to know the ratio to mix fuel and oil if we have to...

deschambault
06-01-2015, 06:52 PM
Yes you do at 50:1. Force motors were a Chrysler head on a Mercury lower unit and were total junk as far as I was concerned. They pollute and rarely run very good. This is old and should be retired technology.

Nikanit
06-01-2015, 07:56 PM
All I was asking was the oil ratio...not criticism.
We already know it's old, and it came with the boat, and we are only using it for 4 days, then buying another when we come back.

Sheesh...

deschambault
06-01-2015, 09:02 PM
No problem, as I said use 50:1 oil ratio.

Unregistered user
06-01-2015, 09:03 PM
I ran chrycs. for years and had great luck with them, very simple and run a long time if you look after them. When Chrysler sold the marine division as part of the restructuring I picked up a lot of units cheap, I also got a lot of freebies where the power head was scuffed. Invariably the story was that the owner had lent a boat to a friend who forgot to mix the gas and blew the top end. 50:1 is right of course, if you have time put in a fresh pair of plugs and you'll be pleasantly surprised how well it can run.

Divert
06-01-2015, 09:06 PM
Depending on the year deschambault is right, somewhat. 1993 they were sold to Mercury, hence '94 and up as a Mercury emblem under the force sticker. Are they all junk? Absolutely not. I have had a 95 90hp for 12 years with no problems whatsoever. One good thing about them is they are quite basic so if you have a little know how you can do almost anything on them yourself.

But hey opinions are like, well you know how the rest of that saying goes

deschambault
06-01-2015, 09:11 PM
My problem with them is they are the old technology which deliberately flushes about 30% of the gas and oil into the lake. In a quiet area this can coat the surface and kill aquatic insects etc. Modern 4 strokes and even fuel injected 2 strokes does not do this to our waterways.

Divert
06-01-2015, 09:20 PM
Interesting, i have never heard that or witnesed mine doing that, ill pay closer attention next time its out.

deschambault
06-01-2015, 09:29 PM
Its a little known fact about the old school 2 stroke engines. You can't really see it as the oil/gas mixture is expelled with the exhaust through the propelor into the lake. I apologize for jumping on you earlier but this is the reason California and others have banned the older style 2 strokes.

Hunter Trav
06-02-2015, 01:13 PM
Get good Amsoil Synthetic 2 stroke oil and run it at 100:1 and you'll pollute that much less. If your nevous about running that lean mix it at 80:1. Don't do this if you buy conventional 2 stroke oil though...