PDA

View Full Version : The NEW NDP Government May Actually be good for Fishing and Hunting

Dean2
06-04-2015, 11:34 AM
I have been an active Fish and Game member for over 50 years. I understand a great deal about the environment and the challenges it faces in Alberta. Dealing with the MLA and SRD on hunting and fishing issues has been worse than frustrating for 20 years, and an absolute nightmare the last 10..
t
Despite all the money hunting and fishing license fees, incomes taxes on hunting and fishing operations etc. etc. pumps into the Provincial coffers almost none of it gets back to helping fish and wildlife.

SRD just puts in more and more draws, no take limits and other easy to manage solutions to increased demand, rather than looking for ways to create better fish and wildlife production. They do nothing to stop the pillaging of what habitat is left in Alberta, nor can they do anything about the ongoing sale of Crown land. As just one example we will soon have no Woodland Caribou at all and for a second. look at the ongoing impact to fishing of SRDs failure to properly manage fish stocks and the depletion of our fresh water resources. Just look at the huge number of dried up lakes, like Mann Lakes that have happened in the province in the last 20 years.

Given we have a new NDP government, who at least policy wise tend to be more pro environment maybe we should be focusing on getting them to send SRD in the right direction. Would be a great time to join your local Fish and Game Association and get your voice heard on Fisheries and other environmental matters.

slivers86
06-04-2015, 11:45 AM
I mailed the new ESRD minister, received no response yet.

So far, no better than the old government, at least they responded (even if they did nothing)

Plus she has zero experience on the environment.

The fact that new minister has only been in officer for a matter of days (not even a month yet) he/she is most likely still catching up on old files, things on the go etc. Be patient, and think of it as if you took over a management role in charge of 2 million people.. Ya might have a bit of paperwork on your desk before you even get the job :)

Redfrog
06-04-2015, 11:57 AM
Good points Dean.
Anytime is a good time to join any hunting or firearms organization. Indeed let your Mla know where you stand. Get active.

As far as the NDP goes, their track record speaks otherwise when F/W sportsman interests are concerned.

As far as being slow to respond. The minister will not be answering his mail himself. We pay someone else to do that. Likely someone who was working there a month or a year or 5 years ago.

Someone gets paid to draft a form letter filled with platitudes and buzz word, "All Albertans", "Recreational users", "Children and seniors". "for the future" "thanks for stopping by" "hope this helps":thinking-006:

Then someone else gets paid to send either an email reply or hard copy.............maybe.
Best thing to do is not respond at all. If this can't be avoided, then have a junior staff member send a mumble of reply, so the minister has plausible deniability. "They should not have said that, as that is not our policy. Did you get the person's name and number?"

Er, What is the policy? "I'll get one of our staff to get back to you when I've had a chance to investigate further.?"

The only difference is now the BS is ORANGE.

aulrich
06-04-2015, 04:29 PM
I would consider that a “not to likely an outcome” I would guess the caucus might have a smattering of hunters/fishers but the bulk will be soft anti’s or actively anti hunting but that is just left wing profiling. The two most likely outcomes that I see are

1. They are progressives we all know how progressives like to ban things , I can see them banning things like they do in California so they can look like they are “doing stuff” for the environment

2. And since we have already had the “the money is worst than we thought" speech it’s most likely there will be cuts or stay the same. And at this point it is my dearest hope of an outcome.

Redfrog
06-04-2015, 06:18 PM
In Ontario, the NDP attempted to block peoples right to hunt and fish:
https://www.ofah.org/2001/12/hunting-fishing-bill-blocked-by-ndp/

http://www.therebel.media/hunters_and_fishermen_sneered_at_again_by

Looks like they lied. Is Pinnochio one of our MLAs? Just asking.:thinking-006:

deschambault
06-04-2015, 06:18 PM
By far the best SRD Minister we have had in the past 25 years was Ted Morton - he was an outdoorsman and actually gave a s..t about the resource. I sure wish he had won the PC leadership bid way back when.

schmedlap
06-04-2015, 07:00 PM
By far the best SRD Minister we have had in the past 25 years was Ted Morton - he was an outdoorsman and actually gave a s..t about the resource. I sure wish he had won the PC leadership bid way back when.
^^^ So so I.

Winch101
06-04-2015, 07:13 PM
When I look at the Manitoba regs ......each year ....and talk to
Guys I have known for 50 tears . You can see that the NDP
Are cut from the same cloth as the PCs here were .....revenue
Revenue etc. Etc. Most of my Buds fish in Ontario ,because the
Current Manitoba situation makes ours look good .

Does this sound familiar ....I think those PCs had a Little Dipper
In them.

http://www.manitobahuntingforum.com/forum/25-manitoba-lodge/1741-does-ndp-government-care-about-wildlife.html

happyfisher
06-04-2015, 10:28 PM
the ndp will bankrupt us like BC....and create more laws...they are socalists....what can u expect.....

Mackinaw
06-05-2015, 12:17 AM
I mailed the new ESRD minister, received no response yet.

So far, no better than the old government, at least they responded (even if they did nothing)

Plus she has zero experience on the environment.

We don't have an ESRD minister we have an environment and parks minister
Which just put another 2 mill into greening up city buildings . Fishing licenses are how much..hmm

Mack

dmcbride
06-05-2015, 09:33 AM
The NDP is good for low income city folk and that is about it.

Penner
06-09-2015, 02:15 PM

To be honest, little worried that NDP'ers traditionally tend to be animal lovers / tree huggers. I don't know all of them but do not see any hunters/anglers within their caucus. I think we may realize in a few years that voting against the PC's to punish the PC's (deservedly so) may punish all of us in the long term (depending on what is most important to you).

Where ever the NDP's have governed in the past has been a disaster on many fronts particularly relating to the economy and outdoors rights. I hope I'm so wrong on this but funny how history is such good indicator of the future more times than not. :thinking-006:

dmcbride
06-09-2015, 02:51 PM
To be honest, little worried that NDP'ers traditionally tend to be animal lovers / tree huggers. I don't know all of them but do not see any hunters/anglers within their caucus. I think we may realize in a few years that voting against the PC's to punish the PC's (deservedly so) may punish all of us in the long term (depending on what is most important to you).

Where ever the NDP's have governed in the past has been a disaster on many fronts particularly relating to the economy and outdoors rights. I hope I'm so wrong on this but funny how history is such good indicator of the future more times than not. :thinking-006:

I have family in 3 different provinces and they all say the same thing.

The NDP wanted to give animals, basically the same rights as humans which would pretty much end hunting and fishing.http://www.huffingtonpost.ca/2015/02/18/robert-sopuck-ndp-animal-rights-agenda_n_6706792.html Why any outdoorsman would ever vote NDP is, well, I don't even know what to say.

GrandMasterFish
06-09-2015, 04:43 PM
I'm hoping we as avid outdoorsmen and women can serve as an educated understanding lobby group. I think it's important to remember that we are ushering in a new era of government here in the province, that literally need our help. I think if we approach in a courteous and educational manner we can have real influence in lobbying the government for what is best for the great resources of this province. Letters, emails, attending meetings and asking relevant questions serve as the best means for change. I know I will be contacting the SRD minister in the future if for nothing else but be another voice heard.

I think we can appeal to the left leaning side of the caucus with how we are all in once sense or another conservationists wanting to be able to enjoy hunting, fishing and the outdoors for our lives and lives of our future generations. This would include laws, regulations, etc.

On the other hand we can appeal to their "Albertan" side by actually encouraging the opportunities and yes economic growth a lively outdoor environment can bring to this province.

I would encourage everyone to contact the current government in one way or another and those with connections to educate the government. Just simply complaining accomplishes nothing.

Ok my days rant is done.

243 wild cat
06-09-2015, 08:18 PM

Thats how they got in lol city folk :scared0018:

dmcbride
06-10-2015, 09:46 AM
I'm hoping we as avid outdoorsmen and women can serve as an educated understanding lobby group. I think it's important to remember that we are ushering in a new era of government here in the province, that literally need our help. I think if we approach in a courteous and educational manner we can have real influence in lobbying the government for what is best for the great resources of this province. Letters, emails, attending meetings and asking relevant questions serve as the best means for change. I know I will be contacting the SRD minister in the future if for nothing else but be another voice heard.

I think we can appeal to the left leaning side of the caucus with how we are all in once sense or another conservationists wanting to be able to enjoy hunting, fishing and the outdoors for our lives and lives of our future generations. This would include laws, regulations, etc.

On the other hand we can appeal to their "Albertan" side by actually encouraging the opportunities and yes economic growth a lively outdoor environment can bring to this province.

I would encourage everyone to contact the current government in one way or another and those with connections to educate the government. Just simply complaining accomplishes nothing.

Ok my days rant is done.

Good post.

If we want are children to enjoy hunting and fishing we need to educate the majority who don't hunt and fish.