PDA

View Full Version : If anyone needs help with fly patterns!

Big.Bear
01-11-2009, 06:35 PM
If anyone needs help with any fly patterns or how to tie or what to use etc throw me a PM. I have helped quite a few people on here so far and love doing it. I used to teach beginner and advanced tying and casting lessons and have learned from the best. Have over 10 years experience doing both.

kayaker
01-11-2009, 06:51 PM
Thats a great offer!

I may just do that in the spring with some dries!

Cheers

Big.Bear
01-11-2009, 07:26 PM
Anytime! Even if you just have a question let me know!

When I first started I met a doctor who pulled a fly out of my thumb. He is an AMAZING fly-fisher and fly-tyer. He helped me out allot. So I'm just trying to help others like he helped me. And I get great enjoyment out of it!

goldscud
01-11-2009, 09:10 PM
What have you got for caddis pupae patterns?

Big.Bear
01-11-2009, 09:19 PM
When you say caddis pupa do you mean Cased or just the pupa. Some people think there the same and what not so that's why I am asking.

Albertabowhunter
01-11-2009, 09:20 PM
If you want fly patterns go to www.Flyangler.ca they have a large assortment of flies and recipes for everyone to browse.

goldscud
01-12-2009, 09:25 PM
I talking about the pupa, when they become vulnerable migrating to the surface. I think it would be quite difficult to fish a larval pattern on the bottom.

Big.Bear
01-12-2009, 09:50 PM
actually it is not difficult at all to fish along the bottom. I do it allot is creeks and rivers. Sometimes lakes.

goldscud
01-13-2009, 09:57 AM
I was thinking it would be hard to fish a larval pattern in a lake. I'm sure nymphing in running water is very effective. I am interested in pupal patterns for fishing the sedge hatch. Do you have any pictures of a pattern you use for lake fishing?

pipes
01-14-2009, 09:21 AM
Goldscud.
Something I have tied that works better than anything else I have seen:
Hook: your size choice of swimming nymph hook (I use Daiichi hooks and have to be swimming nymph)
Tail: None
Abdomen: ice dub of your color preference. I like to use tan or light olive. I also tied down a thin shell of mottled thin skin
Rib: Monofilament
Thorax: peacock herl
Wingcase: Mottled thin skin
legs: pheasant tail. for durability, I coat with head cement
For proportions, the abdomen should be kept thin and not really tapered.

Weight fly as necessary

Alliman
01-14-2009, 10:38 AM
Question ? The trout we have been catching recently have had large hard cased beetles in them, they would be about the size of thumbnail black backs and light yellow underneath . they are not Backswimmers . Does anyone recognize this discription ? Thanks in advance

Big.Bear
01-14-2009, 10:40 AM
could just be a basic water beetle. I have never really examined them that well up close but thats what it sounds like

Grizzly
01-14-2009, 05:02 PM
What have you got for caddis pupae patterns?

Ive got a SICK caddis Puupa pattern...
http://i163.photobucket.com/albums/t305/Tyler-Heather/Flies/GetAttachment.jpg

Tied with Green Chaniele, black 6/0 thread, and natural fox hair.

Big.Bear
01-14-2009, 05:09 PM
nice pattern...how do u fish yours

goldscud
01-14-2009, 06:18 PM
Thanks Pipes and Grizzly. I'll have to do some experimenting

Here's a real one

http://i3.photobucket.com/albums/y85/fishmonger/real_caddis_pupa.jpg

Grizzly
01-14-2009, 06:41 PM
nice pattern...how do u fish yours

LOON. I have only had the chance to use it on lakes with sinking line, it usually falls 3ft below the surface, and i do short strips, every 30 seconds. The fox hair moves around in the water acting as legs.

You could also put some ribbing on it and change to color to make it look like a fresh water scud. its a pretty universal pattern.

Big.Bear
01-17-2009, 11:36 PM
Here is a Cased Caddis pattern I like, I totally forgot to put some legs on it though, I normally used fox hair or pheasant tail for the lags and tie them in sparse. I just quickly tied (explains why I forgot the legs lol) this so I could post it while were talking about Caddis.

http://i279.photobucket.com/albums/kk150/TROUT2087/DSCF1717.jpg

Grizzly
01-18-2009, 12:39 AM
I was out on the ice today and one came through my hole after i drilled.
wish i had a camera to show you fellas!
they are extremely brite green.

Big.Bear
01-18-2009, 01:27 AM
I was out on the ice today and one came through my hole after i drilled.
wish i had a camera to show you fellas!
they are extremely brite green.

Yeah its actually kind of neat how green they are. It doesnt show in the picture of the fly I just posted but the worm part is actually neon green.