PDA

View Full Version : Pigeon Today

GrandMasterFish
06-07-2015, 10:10 PM
Hit the usual haunts as well as a few off the beaten path. Lots of boats in the water averaging 3-4 people. Despite this me and my fishing partner brought in 16 between us. None of them fit my class c (I'm thinking there's no sense in filling a tag like that might as well let em grow). Biggest one of the day was 56CM, 3.9lbs. Would love to have taken him home. All in all a good day.

Lake was too busy for my liking fortunately I can go out during the week. The 45 minute wait to load my boat was too much for me.

wildwoods
06-07-2015, 10:25 PM
Nice work. Bait or plastic?

waterninja
06-08-2015, 12:13 AM
Congrats on a good day.
It can really be a gong show some days at boat launch.

GrandMasterFish
06-08-2015, 01:02 AM
Bait, minnows, my buddy caught a couple on a copper coloured spoon. Yeah the majority were B's some really nice fish around 46,47,48. I don't mind letting em go.

EZM
06-08-2015, 08:11 AM
Trophy Pike Hunter and I went out Sunday.

Boat launch has a decent water level but there was some traffic.

Went out to a popular spot (over by provincial) to see 10-12 boats lined up along the structure - nobody seemed to be catching anything as we slowly tolled by using the imaging sonar - did not mark to many fish but noticed the side image had some returns out off the structure in a flat and deep area so headed over to have a look.

Found some large schools of walleye in deep water about 50-80 yards away (toward deeper water) and baited jigs and dropped our presentation. The area was flat, muddy with zero structure.

We were the only boat out that far and could see a few guys looking over probably wondering what the heck we were doing as we set up out there.

Within 15 minutes we had both of our A class fish tags filled and released a few smaller A's along the way. We got into some nice sized walleyes averaging 52-58 cm that were very willing to come along for dinner.

We had a couple boats come over and join us shortly.

The fish seemed to be deep (22 ft) and off structure on the flats ...... lesson is ..... it makes sense to cruise an area and see what's happening (on sonar and by observation) before committing to setting up somewhere just because there are other boats around.

For the whole time we were there - not one boat we saw pulled a fish out.

Pigeon is a strange lake.

JimmerAB
06-08-2015, 11:42 AM
Was out on Saturday. When the wind backed off we drifted along dropoffs either dragging or casting either jig and minnow, or jig and plastic. When the wind came back, we anchored on some open water structure and casted to them. Every technique worked equally well. We boated 40 that afternoon. Most were 50+ cm. Kept our tags for another day. We own an RV property on a waterfront park. The park has its own private dredged launch, so no lineups or shallow water issues. Life is good...

Jim

GrandMasterFish
06-08-2015, 02:11 PM
EZM I think I know which boat you were in, I agree we stayed away from the group all set up across from the boat launch as well as we didn't see them catching anything until the end of the day.

EZM
06-08-2015, 02:32 PM
EZM I think I know which boat you were in, I agree we stayed away from the group all set up across from the boat launch as well as we didn't see them catching anything until the end of the day.

We were in a Black Lund Tyee with a 150 Honda ..... out 50-80 yards from the nearest boat toward the middle of the lake.

Can't complain about the fish every 3-4 minutes thing or multiple double headers when it looks like most of the crowd wasn't catching a thing.

Thank god for side imaging - when we got there we slowly moved along the structure on the outside of the boats and scanned and area 200 feet wide ( 100 feet to either side of the boat) and found NO schools of fish.

So we turned and scanned a deeper section and found them at the very edge out even deeper ..... went to scan over there and found them on a muddy flat bottom way out there.

It would have been a needle in a haystack without side imaging AND we would have been stuck staring at the floor like the rest of the gang anchored on (or just off) the structure ....

When my talent and intelligence isn't enough I turn to technology .....lol