PDA

View Full Version : Kingfisher or Thunderjet

FishermanFrank1976
06-09-2015, 08:17 PM
Hello everyone, I am a serious angler and I am in the process of making a deal on a new Kingfisher 2425 Experience HT. I own a 18' Crestliner right now and it is a wonderful boat just doesn't cut it any more for the fishing I want to do more of on the west coast. A couple of my friends have 22' TJ's o/s and they are amazing boats. I would like to hear from any of you out there that have any experience or opinions regarding these boats. I am torn between the Kingfisher 2425 and the Thunderjet Tyee 23'. Any and all of your feed back is greatly appreciated as I am only a couple weeks away from ordering the 2425. Thanks in advance:)

skidderman
06-09-2015, 09:07 PM
Either are well built. I would consider a couple of things. 1) Bottom hull design. The one with the biggest V is going to cut through water better. 2) If going on salt water I would want one with as much painted surface as possible as I believe bare aluminium will catch heck. I have a 20' tj Luxor. Only two things that are a bit of a pain. One is the wind affects the high boat a lot more than I would like. Two is it doesn't cut through the waves as well as I had hoped. Having said that I love the room and the protection of the half welded top. Trade offs I guess.

Duramaximos
06-09-2015, 09:32 PM
Another Luxor owner here.
I agree you'll want to have an appropriate bottom for your application.

When I bought mine in 2012, Luxor was available with three different dead rise options. Flatter for river runners, medium for lakes (?) and the steepest dead rise was available in the off shore models.

I chose the middle ground and find it very versatile and comfortable in most waters. The forward style helm can get a bit bouncy on big kootenay lake swells but not too bad. I did test drive the flat bottom river boat and I wouldn't do that without hydraulic seats!

I digress. Be sure to confirm that 23' Tyee is an off shore model with the steepest available bottom.

Great boats. I have absolutely no quibbles or regrets.

I don't know anything about King Fisher so I can't comment or compare.

Oh, I should mention, I had an excellent buying experience with Siglers Marine in Portland.

Good luck.

fishhawk1850
06-09-2015, 11:16 PM
We bought the Tyee OS 23 full hard top with Alaskan bulkhead last year, we are very happy with it . We just pulled into Prince Rupert today so I will be in it for the next 12 days exploring and trying new areas around Rupert now that we can go where we want with a little more confidence. I have a 250 Yamaha on mine with a 9.9 high thrust kicker. We did 19 days around Vancouver Island with it last August and fell in love with the boat. If you have any ?? let me know. Fishhawk

fishtank250
06-10-2015, 12:56 AM
Look at all the serious boat on the west coast i.e. guide boats and work boats-most are unpainted,aluminum is fine in salt water.you only need bottom paint if mooring for long periods

EZM
06-10-2015, 09:13 AM
Both are the top 2 choices for any off shore/mid-costal type boat I would be considering in that size and price range.

This is very similar to a Lund/Crestliner discussion - both top quality boats ....... at this point it's about about layout, features and price.

I don't think either choice is better compared to the other ..... I like the looks of the Thunderjet Alaskan myself ..... but that is cosmetic. The hull design, quality of welds and worksmanship and layout are very comparable ... I've seen both boats close up.

excellent choices .....

browning375
06-10-2015, 04:57 PM
If I had the choice i would take a look at a Hewescraft searunner HT for sure, built better than a kingfisher and in the same ball park for pricing.

saskpikeman
06-10-2015, 08:24 PM
I have looked closely at Thunderjet, Kingfishers, and Hewescraft. Fished lots out of a hewescraft 20' Searunner, great in rough water but man are they tippy at rest. My top two would have to be an Hewescraft Ocean Pro or TJ Tyee OS, I have have yet to look at a Kingfisher that I like, Just something about the way they finish their boats that seems so ...meh.... Maybe a Dodge vs Ford vs Chevt thing though. I'm sure they are all good boats.

Sea Hawk
06-10-2015, 10:10 PM
I hope you are enjoying your search for a new boat. My advice would be to make as informed decision as possible. Lots of people will give you their opinion on the best boat for you but only you know the things that are most important in making up your mind. I would recommend you head out on a road trip and visit as many dealers as possible. When i was shopping i took a trip down to washington state. There are lots of dealers down there that deal in welded offshore boats. It is much easier to make a decision when you are sitting in the actual boat.i sat in hewescraft,thunder jet,duckworth,boulton,kingfisher andnorth river just to name a few. Every dealer i visited told me what made their boats stand out above the rest. At the end of it all i knew exactly which boat i wanted and why.
i wish you luck in your search and hope you end up with the boat of your dreams.

THEREAPER
06-10-2015, 10:18 PM
I owned two thunder jets, there fit and finish is top notch! didn't own a tyee but my boats never missed a beat!

supra22
06-26-2015, 10:04 PM
I have owned many high end boats and bought my first Thunderjet last fall. I researched the heck out of Weldcraft, Hewescraft, Kingfisher and Thunderjet prior to making my decision. I bought a TJ Yukon and have had no end of trouble with the boat as a result from an error during manufacturing.

This is a long ongoing storey that 9 months long now .

The first time I took the boat out on Oct. 31 it just about sunk to the bottom of the lake because some of the water lines were not connected properly. The coolant lines also leaked when the boat got hot due to not having the water flow to cool it down. When I lifted the cover on the dog house I was met by a wall of steam/coolant. The coolant system lost too much antifreeze so the engine would not run. With a dead engine and boat filling with water faster then the bilge pumps could pump it out I found the leaks and fixed them as fast as I could. I then tried paddling the boat to shore but was still taking on some water as some of the hose clamps were stripped from factory. I wound up jumping in the water and pulled the boat the rest of the way to shore. There was no one on the lake to get a pull from. I got the leaks plugged up as best could then paddled the boat for the next three hours to my dock.

The dealership took the boat back and "fixed the boat".

This past spring I took the boat out on the Shuswap for a couple hours and all seemed well. The next day we continued onto the coast to do some salmon fishing. I was still a bit nervous so I had my dad (who lives on an island in the Howe Sound) meet me with his boat at the marina to follow me across to his place. Sure enough I had a similar experience and the boat failed out on the ocean.

Because this had happened previously I had the necessary tools ready and at hand. I once again averted losing the boat to the bottom.

I took the boat back to the marina and contacted River City Marine as they were a local TJ dealer. After several hours and phone calls back and forth with them they told me that TJ said that I had an obstruction in the water intake system and that I had to pull all the hoses off and check them for a blockage. Several hors later the end result was that there was not any blockage in the lines that caused them pressure up and blow off as TJ suggested there would be.

At this point the owner of the marina came over whom I have know for 15 years as my folks have had slip there for years came over and started looking at my boat.

The end result was that every connection has a brass fitting and there was suppose to be a barb on the end of the fittings. The TJ factory had cut them off and that was why the hoses kept blowing off and filling the boat with water.

I had to trailer my all the way back from the coast to Nisku to have the issue addressed by the dealership.

The boat engine I believe has suffered damage as I do not have full RPM. The dealer I bought the boat from in Nisku is completely under qualified to service the boats that they sell. TJ has had very little interest in making this right. The dealership has made an attempt to make good on this but at the end of the day I own a boat I have little confidence in. I am not sure that I want to take this boat on the river where the consequences could be dire if I have another failure.

My opinion is stick with Kingfisher. My next boat will be one for sure. My parents own a Grady White and two of their neighbors have Kingfishers... the old man vows that his next boat will be a Kingfisher as the neighbors have had excellent boats from them. That says a lot coming from a Grady owner.

Sea Hawk
06-26-2015, 10:23 PM
Sad to hear about the problems with your new boat. It should have been exciting and instead sounds like it was more of a horror story. As you stated,you suspect there could be some engine damage. Could a compression test confirm this and of so would that put more pressure on thunderjet to stand behind it.. Good luck

supra22
06-27-2015, 09:59 AM
I am going to have the engine checked out by an independent dealer and then see what is found. The top end is 5-7 mph slower then it should be and the rpm is down anywhere from 400-600 from where TJ says it should be.
Sorry FishermanFrank, I did not intend to take over your post.

Although the KF lacks a bit on fit & finish they are a solid boat with a great west coast reputation. Just remember to put on the max horsepower as the 2425 will stow a lot of gear and people. When you are on the coast fighting current/tide and weather it will be underpowered otherwise. DO NOT get talked into twin 115 hp, as this is a TERRIBLE option. It is like buying a muscle car with a 6 cyl., you will be very disappointed in the performance of twin 115s.

Nakoda boater
06-27-2015, 11:10 AM
Fisherman Frank, the boat being a 24' are you going to keep it out on the coast? I have a TJ Hawk XL myself and zero issues. I have fished Nootka Sound with this boat and look forward to P.R. this yr.

Scott h
06-27-2015, 07:08 PM
I hope you are enjoying your search for a new boat. My advice would be to make as informed decision as possible. Lots of people will give you their opinion on the best boat for you but only you know the things that are most important in making up your mind. I would recommend you head out on a road trip and visit as many dealers as possible. When i was shopping i took a trip down to washington state. There are lots of dealers down there that deal in welded offshore boats. It is much easier to make a decision when you are sitting in the actual boat.i sat in hewescraft,thunder jet,duckworth,boulton,kingfisher andnorth river just to name a few. Every dealer i visited told me what made their boats stand out above the rest. At the end of it all i knew exactly which boat i wanted and why.
i wish you luck in your search and hope you end up with the boat of your dreams.

By you name I'm assuming you chose "North River" :sHa_shakeshout:

Sea Hawk
06-27-2015, 07:37 PM
You bet. Shopped for two years and finally found a 21 ft in seattle. Yamaha 150 with 92 hours on the back as well as a brand new 8 hp kicker for trolling. I shopped the seattle boat show as well as made a road trip in the summer through Seattle, Tacoma and Spokane stopping at every dealer on the road. I used to have a lund tyee but decided after two trips to the coast to make a change. I have owned a number of boats and this one is the best fot the fishing I do.

Scott h
06-28-2015, 10:18 AM
You bet. Shopped for two years and finally found a 21 ft in seattle. Yamaha 150 with 92 hours on the back as well as a brand new 8 hp kicker for trolling. I shopped the seattle boat show as well as made a road trip in the summer through Seattle, Tacoma and Spokane stopping at every dealer on the road. I used to have a lund tyee but decided after two trips to the coast to make a change. I have owned a number of boats and this one is the best fot the fishing I do.

I have the identical boat and power and have to agree with you on the fish-ability . For a 21 foot it has HUGE deck space . Mine lives in Masset and while I avoid rough water if possible I have never felt uncomfortable like I have in my previous boats . A friend bought a 20 foot Sea Hawk after fishing in my 21 but found that it's not near the boat due to the overall dimension changes ( not just the length ) .

Sea Hawk
06-28-2015, 02:25 PM
I agree about the space. The fellow who originally purchased my boat had four benches installed instead of the standard two. I have comfortably seated six adults in mine. I also am a fair weather angler but did get caught in some rough water where every wave was hitting the windshield. The boat handled it with no problem. Even so I will try to never get in that situation again.

Kingfisher
06-28-2015, 10:39 PM
I have an 18 1/2 foot Kingfisher and I love the boat. It is one solid boat. I will be taking it out to the west coast. But mostly on the Inside Passage, not off the west of Vancouver Island. Except for in the Alberni inlet for the sockeye.

I talked to a few guides out at Port Renfrew when I was there this spring and they said that a Northwestern VS is the best boat to go with out there. About 1/3 of them had Kingfishers and the other 2/3rds of them had Kingfishers. Both of them went out to Swiftsure Bank. Which is a 20 - 30 km ride out in some serious seas. So, I don't think you can go wrong with either. Northwestern is a custom boat and takes twice as long to get.

The one guy that I talked to who has unlimited funds. Rob Alcock owner of Gibbs Tackle said he owns a Northwestern. His personal opinion was that they are twice the boat of the Kingfisher. But the problem is they are all custom made and to get a new one will take 2 years. As he said the Kingfisher is a good solid production boat. But if your going to go in big water all the time then it pays to get the most solid boat you can. Rob runs 2 - 150 Yamaha's on his. So there is no shortage of power.

Hope this helps.

FishermanFrank1976
06-29-2015, 03:36 PM
Sorry to hear about your boat, thats is F'in terrible...:( I have purchased the Kingfisher2425 and am having them custom built it to my specifics.. I have done a ton of research and when the actual Thunderjet dealer tells you to buy the Kingfisher lol I knew there is something wrong, not to say they arent good boats just still have alot of kinks to work out.. Appreciate the input:)

FishermanFrank1976
06-29-2015, 05:25 PM
supra22, I was on the fence with the twin 115's but I thought exactly like you and I went with a Yamaha F250 main(max for that boat) and a Yamaha T25 hi trust kicker. I seen alot of them with the F200 but went to the max:) I went bigger on the kicker for the extra alternator output as I have a ton of electronics including 4g radar and dont want to be charging batteries ever. Thanks for your insight:)

supra22
07-06-2015, 06:11 PM
Well that took all the doubt out of which way you should go. I should have asked the same question myself! lol

Anyhow, good luck with the new boat!! You should have years of good fishing off of it.

I am glad to hear that you went right up to the 250 HP max. I know a lot of people that try to save money when buying their boat and going with a smaller engine so they can add other options. In the long run they are disappointed with the performance of their boat. Its always less expensive to add better electronics etc. later and start with the right power.

The larger alternator will help a lot but the biggest thing about the large kicker is that if you ever actually need it it will move the boat. A 9.9 and even the 15 hp are sometimes too small on the coast in big currents/tides/winds.

Enjoy the heck out of that boat and make sure to get the deck bloody the first time out!

FishermanFrank1976
08-10-2015, 01:05 PM
Here is a picture of my boat at the Kingfisher factory under construction:) Pick it up in just over a week:) So Excited!!!

bruce47
09-21-2016, 08:02 AM
As im looking at buying a experiance could you update us on boat ?Like it ? love it ? Ordering from the factory went well ?