PDA

View Full Version : Alberta Walleye Record

CK Angler
06-10-2015, 01:58 PM
Sorry if this is old news, I searched and couldn't find a thread..

a friend sent me a pic from target walleye claiming there's a new AB record caught last year. I googled and it seems to be legit. What a hog of a Walter! View link below.

Any one know anything about this? Again... My bad if already posted, but I never heard about it until today and it has me pumped!! Impressive fish!

http://www.sprucegroveexaminer.com/2015/06/05/onoway-man-catches-record-setting-fish

crownb
06-10-2015, 02:04 PM
Sorry if this is old news, I searched and couldn't find a thread..

a friend sent me a pic from target walleye claiming there's a new AB record caught last year. I googled and it seems to be legit. What a hog of a Walter! View link below.

Any one know anything about this? Again... My bad if already posted, but I never heard about it until today and it has me pumped!! Impressive fish!

http://www.sprucegroveexaminer.com/2015/06/05/onoway-man-catches-record-setting-fish

Awesome fish!!!

Jamie Black R/T
06-10-2015, 02:10 PM
This article says he killed it.

http://www.mayerthorpefreelancer.com/2015/05/11/record-breaking-walleye-caught-in-pembina-river-near-sangudo

MrsSpinningChain1
06-10-2015, 02:11 PM
Wow that's big one!!

CK Angler
06-10-2015, 02:27 PM
This article says he killed it.

http://www.mayerthorpefreelancer.com/2015/05/11/record-breaking-walleye-caught-in-pembina-river-near-sangudo

Ya, I read that to, AFGA presented him with a catch and keep record, but the link I shared says It was released?

Any one with any inside information?

Either way beauty of a fish!

Winch101
06-10-2015, 02:50 PM
I didn't realize the standing alberta record was so puny ...

Highly unlikely that the fish in the pic ....is that big ....

Doesn't seem that this is that tight an operation ....

Kind of like Heavy weight boxing .....I'd want to see the fish .

CK Angler
06-10-2015, 02:56 PM
I didn't realize the standing alberta record was so puny ...

Highly unlikely that the fish in the pic ....is that big ....

Doesn't seem that this is that tight an operation ....

Kind of like Heavy weight boxing .....I'd want to see the fish .

It's listed in the alberta outdoorsmen record book online which has me believing it is legit. See for yourself

http://www.albertaoutdoorsmen.ca/record-book.html

Sharpie
06-10-2015, 02:59 PM
IMO the fish in the pic isnt likely over 12lbs, maybe the guy holding it is freakin huge, i dont know.

Red Bullets
06-10-2015, 03:19 PM
Nice fish for sure. Only 9 pounds shy of the world record 25 lb. 42 inch walleye caught in 1960 in Tennessee. Hard to imagine a 25 lb.er.

dmcbride
06-10-2015, 03:28 PM
Nice fish for sure. Only 9 pounds shy of the world record 25 lb. 42 inch walleye caught in 1960 in Tennessee. Hard to imagine a 25 lb.er.

Believe it or not but before they closed fisher home at pigeon Lk. we were fishing the creek and there was a dead walleye that was at least 20lbs. on the bank that someone just left there. :scared0018:

Red Bullets
06-10-2015, 03:32 PM
Believe it or not but before they closed fisher home at pigeon Lk. we were fishing the creek and there was a dead walleye that was at least 20lbs. on the bank that someone just left there. :scared0018:

I do believe it. About 15 years ago a F&W seadoo patrol stopped us while fishing on the west end of Pigeon lake. She had a confiscated walleye on the side of her jetski that had to have weighed 17 to 20 lbs. When I asked what it cost the poacher she replied he lost his 25K pleasure boat and a court appearance.

EZM
06-10-2015, 03:37 PM
In order for a record to be legit - they do, in fact, weigh and carefully examine the fish.

I agree - I think the picture doesn't make it look like it's 16 lbs - but then again - the old guy probably hasn't been properly trained to push the fish out towards the camera and hide his hands when taking a photo like most of the contributors here ..... lol.

I would also bet there have been bigger walleye filleted in the old days - I can tell you the burbot record was probably broken a few times out at McGregor in the old days ....

Beauty Walleye ...

Sharpie
06-10-2015, 03:46 PM
HAHA, i think hes doing a pretty good job, dont see much elbow in the pic!

MooseRiverTrapper
06-10-2015, 03:50 PM
There's skeptics questioning this certified new AB record saying it's only 12 pounds? Lol you guys make me laugh

Sharpie
06-10-2015, 03:59 PM
No, i believe in the record 100% just saying that doesnt look like a 16 pound fish in the pic.

Winch101
06-10-2015, 04:03 PM
Where was this fish weighed , who witnessed it , pics on a tape .

This isn't an official Govt record ,it's a magasine record ,

It isn't listed in any Canadian provincial records .

All I'm saying is sort of unofficial record .

CK Angler
06-10-2015, 04:17 PM

I don't know the answers to your question, but I do know for a catch & keep record it must be weighed on a government certified scale

Alberta fish and game association recognize this as the new provincial record. There's really nothing to dispute.

Winch101
06-10-2015, 04:37 PM
In 2006 ....John Pinch caught a 34 " walleye ,weighing 16lbs 2oz
Out of Travers Res. Outdoorsmen angler of the year .
New provincial record .....No ....why not ....

This province needs a little tune up ,in the record department .

Now another AO prize

http://www.albertaoutdoorsmen.ca/images/anglers/2013-walleye.jpg

Now that's a pig 33" only 14 lbs .

The OP fish a little suspect

MooseRiverTrapper
06-10-2015, 04:44 PM

Yup it is the official new AB record. What is unofficial about that?

Habfan
06-10-2015, 06:11 PM
I think he might have caught a record, but that might be a picture of a different fish, because that fish in the picture, even with arms straight out, looks no more than 8-10 lbs.

SNAPFisher
06-10-2015, 06:30 PM
What is also interesting is the previous record of 15 lbs X oz also came from the Pembina....... ...... ....... stampede!!

Fishtracker
06-10-2015, 08:45 PM
I think he might have caught a record, but that might be a picture of a different fish, because that fish in the picture, even with arms straight out, looks no more than 8-10 lbs.

I have to agree with this. If this fish is 16lbs, I want to use that scale to weigh in the new record next year!!!

brohymn2
06-10-2015, 08:49 PM
What is also interesting is the previous record of 15 lbs X oz also came from the Pembina....... ...... ....... stampede!!
Shhhh

THEREAPER
06-10-2015, 10:01 PM
That looks like ten pounds max. A 35" walleye is 16 pounds. Let the comments role in lol!!!

58thecat
06-11-2015, 06:47 AM
Yup it is the official new AB record. What is unofficial about that?

Very well stated.

Pembina
06-11-2015, 01:02 PM
Every one I catch out of the Pembina looks like a tube of toothpaste with fins on it.

6pointplus
06-11-2015, 10:21 PM
My wife knows this fella who caught this walleye and he claims it was 16 pounds and 36" in length. So either he is a lier or it's a legit fish. You can draw whatever conspiracy theory you like from the pic. At the end of the day I'm sure the lucky guy with the record could care less.

He also says that it was realesed

CK Angler
06-12-2015, 07:48 AM
I emailed AFGA about this and received a response this AM, was curious what they had for supporting documents, date, official weigh slip, w/e. Their response

"There are no official documents issued for provincial records. There is an official entry form for this particular fish, and it meets all the requirements needed to enter a fish into competitions run by the AFGA"

I figured if you were going to break a provincial record there would be something entered into the books beside a form you print online... Breaking a provincial record, to me, is a big deal. I figured there would be something to back it up.

woody1948
06-12-2015, 08:05 AM
I have never caught a 36 inch Pickerel, but I have caught a pile in the 30 inch and 10 to 12 pound range.. This photo is certainly not a 36 inch 16 pounder.
Maybe this is another picture of an 7 to 8!pounder and 26 inch.

EZM
06-12-2015, 08:14 AM
I can't can't (and won't comment) for this specific case ..... the fisherman deserves the benefit of doubt and deserves a congratulations as far as I'm concerned.

As to some of the comments - here's a couple thoughts - without retaining the fish and bringing it to a certified scale (which has a current calibration sticker from weights and measures) AND that has been verified after the record .... I don't think there is any way for a weight to be "bullet proof" and free from possible tomfoolery.

That's what makes live release records very tough (especially when weight is involved). This was a retained record and listed as such. It's much tougher to play games when you still have the fish.

AFGA requires the fish to go to a certified scale for a retained fish. This fish did and it was certified and witnessed.

JasonA
06-13-2015, 06:38 AM
I agree with EZM; the record cannot be broken without keeping the fish, having it weighed and witnessed as is stated on page 82, in the regs. It used to read that you should also have a F&W officer witness the weighing.
Last fall I caught an 83cm walleye , which maxed out a 15 pound scale. We took plenty of photos, measurements, and a video of the release. Later calculations put this fish around 16.5 pounds, but because it was released (I was at travers) it could not be verified. Bob Walker retained the 90cm walleye from Pembina, had it certified and he beat me out for the provincial record.
Imo, he record is legit. It is a really hard to meet all of the criteria to break a record. And because of that, I would say quit hating on a guy who caught one of the provinces best fish!

On a side note, I believe the record will change a couple more times in next 1-2 years, due to the quality of the walleye within the province. In fact, I wouldn't be surprised to see it shattered!
Tight lines!