PDA

View Full Version : Fish Finder for kayak.

Roughneck12
06-10-2015, 06:33 PM
I am currently running a Lawrence Mark 5X and its useful but I would like to up grade, preferably with DSI.
Any recommendations? I would like to spend less than 300.00 or a private sale.

It will be going on a Hobie Pro Angler.

Northern Yaker
06-10-2015, 06:47 PM
For under $300 your options are pretty limited. I recently purchased a Raymarine Dragonfly 4dv through Cabelas in the US for just over $300. Doesn't have side imagineing but down vision and Chirp sonar. For another $50 I believe a guy could get the pro model with GPS. Might be a unit worth looking at. Not sure there are many on the market with what your looking for for under $500.

RavYak
06-10-2015, 07:43 PM
I use a Humminbird 987 c SI on my Hobie Outback. Slightly over kill lol.

http://i207.photobucket.com/albums/bb267/murtyl/St.%20Albert-20150415-00264.jpg

I honestly never use my down scan imaging but maybe that is because I have the side imaging. The side imaging can be useful but for the most part the regular sonar and knowledge of how to use it along with knowledge of the lake are more useful to me. Most of our lakes don't have much for underwater structure so you don't actually see very much on the SI or DI.

Having used multiple fish finders now what I would recommend is a basic colour model. GPS is the next step. DI and SI are extras after that. Something with at least a 5 in screen makes reading the fish finder much easier too.

Unfortunately for 300 you won't find much. After a quick search my best recommendation would be thefishinhole has a 678C HD model for 350 that would probably be good but no DI or GPS etc. Your best bet to find something better for that price would be used.

Edit: Just noticed you have a Mark 5X already. Colour would be a step up but anything noticeably better will much more expensive unless used. Also guessing you want to stay Lowrance as the Pro Angler has a Lowrance transducer mount I believe.

Roughneck12
06-10-2015, 07:55 PM
I am still learning to use the one I have and I agree on the price point. I have been looking all over.
Maybe I will just keep my eye on Buy and Sell.

RavYak
06-10-2015, 07:58 PM
I am still learning to use the one I have and I agree on the price point. I have been looking all over.
Maybe I will just keep my eye on Buy and Sell.

Check Kijiji every day. There are the odd ones that pop up but they aren't that often and anything half decent goes fast.

I got lucky with mine on here, saw it a hour or so after it was posted and jumped on it. Was told he had to shut his phone off over night he was getting so many inquiries...

Roughneck12
06-10-2015, 08:30 PM
Good idea. Thanks.

Roughneck12
06-11-2015, 02:07 PM
Just got a Lowrance 4X Elite HDI on Ebay for less than 300. Score.