PDA

View Full Version : sturgeon lake?

fluxcore
01-12-2009, 08:06 PM
Im heading up to Valley view this weekend and I would like to take my pops out ice fishing. I googled this lake and it seems like my best bet its a good size and seems close. Could someone give me a hand and let me in on a good spot. Ill only be out for the one day and im not even sure what fish to target.

Mondeta
01-12-2009, 09:42 PM
I was out to sturgeon on saturday. We went to young's point. Fishing was great. Caught our limit of pike and walleye. Ice was around 16- 20 inches. Lots of ice to drive out on. We used minnows on a jig and set it up about 6 inches off the bottom. Its a great lake and I can't wait to get out again soon. Young's point is about 10 mins north of the turn off to the main camp ground. Good fishin!!

Jester
01-12-2009, 11:42 PM
I was out to sturgeon on saturday. We went to young's point. Fishing was great. Caught our limit of pike and walleye. Ice was around 16- 20 inches. Lots of ice to drive out on. We used minnows on a jig and set it up about 6 inches off the bottom. Its a great lake and I can't wait to get out again soon. Young's point is about 10 mins north of the turn off to the main camp ground. Good fishin!!

Do you always do good at Youngs point?

I haven't been there this year but last year it was really slow both times we went there...Lots of flood ice too..:(

Yes we also tried jigs with minnows and spoons with minnows....maybe we just hit it on a bad day or something.

Eyeswideshut
01-13-2009, 11:14 AM
In my number of years fishing Sturgeon,.. I found if using jigs,.the pickerel will only bite well on stubby orange tipped with a minnow. As for the pike a large smelt works good, on a black or plain lead jig.

Evan83
01-14-2009, 11:20 AM
Hey Mondeta how deep of water were you in? Once you get to Youngs point how far off shore did you go? I'm planning on taking my girlfriend fishing this weekend and its her first time so if I want a chance of getting her out again I need to be able to find the fish.

g-tard
01-14-2009, 11:38 AM
i have had best luck in 8-12 ft of water. Any drop off will do. There is no for sure in catching fish( although i have never been skunked for pike). Just follow the crowds and keep a fresh minnow on.

Eyeswideshut
01-14-2009, 04:45 PM
Just south of where the fishing warf is off the point(not the boat launch). South about 150ft, then from shore about 200ft+, drill your holes about east to west, there is a shelf there that goes from about 8ft to 20ft of water. But most of the times I have went out there the majority of the area is filled,.. I was told to start going out during the week cause the fish get spooked if there are too many people in the area.

You could also try NW of the boat launch area in the bay,.. but not sure how much water was in the lake before it froze,.. it might be pretty shallow. It has been a couple years since I have been out there cause the water has been so low.

Next time I am on the lake, I am going to GPS the shelf,..

Jester
01-14-2009, 10:20 PM
Just south of where the fishing warf is off the point(not the boat launch). South about 150ft, then from shore about 200ft+, drill your holes about east to west, there is a shelf there that goes from about 8ft to 20ft of water. But most of the times I have went out there the majority of the area is filled,.. I was told to start going out during the week cause the fish get spooked if there are too many people in the area.

You could also try NW of the boat launch area in the bay,.. but not sure how much water was in the lake before it froze,.. it might be pretty shallow. It has been a couple years since I have been out there cause the water has been so low.

Next time I am on the lake, I am going to GPS the shelf,..

I have very limited experience at Sturgeon but we always had our best fishing at the underwater hump,well,in the summer time anyway.

Have you ever ice-fished it? If so how was it?:)

http://i74.photobucket.com/albums/i266/kokaneekid/sturgeonlakemap1.png

Eyeswideshut
01-15-2009, 04:47 PM
The places in red I have ice fished, but mainly stay around the Young's point area, the places in yellow I have usually fish in the summer/fall. The yellow square I just noticed is a wee bit too high,.. it should be closer to the red squarish thing,. haha.

In my experiences the pickerel always bit best in early Sept.

http://i3.photobucket.com/albums/y57/Whistler-/various/Sturgmap.jpg