PDA

View Full Version : .311 bullets?

densa44
06-12-2015, 01:06 PM
I want to shoot a very old Ross rifle that I have, I don't need lots of ammo a 100 rounds will see me out.

Do I need .311 or will .308 bullets work just as well? .003 " doesn't seem like very much.

qwert
06-12-2015, 01:38 PM
I want to shoot a very old Ross rifle that I have, I don't need lots of ammo a 100 rounds will see me out.

Do I need .311 or will .308 bullets work just as well? .003 " doesn't seem like very much.

Do you want to make small groups or just noise?

Do you want to shoot lead or jacketed?

Have you cleaned and slugged the bore?

densa44
06-12-2015, 02:50 PM
Well I can't focus on ordinary iron sights anymore, but the Ross has a very cool peep sight (looks like a lyman). I'd like to shoot it as well as I can. I haven't done anything with it.

qwert
06-12-2015, 03:43 PM
Older military firearms have great variability of quality and condition.
They have probably shot corrosive ammunition without proper cleaning and the bore may be pitted or dull from corrosion. The crown may be worn, corroded or damaged.

IMHO, The first thing to do is to give the action and bore a careful cleaning with a range of chemicals to remove accumulations of different types of fouling. I have had good results by initial cleaning with Ed's Red, followed by alternating cycles of Patch-Out, No-Lead, Carb-Out and 1st Choice and some careful work with JB bore paste and finally cleanup with Ed's Red then something like EEZOX or oil for storage and a dry patch before firing. I avoid metal brushes and use nylon only as needed.

Slug the bore using a well oiled SOFT lead boolit or ball. I drive it through the bore from the chamber to the muzzle with a clean brass rod and a heavy hammer, Feel the force required and note any loose spots or bulges. Measure the slug carefully with a good quality micrometer.

Select bullets that properly fit your bore. New Savage bores are ~.0015 smaller than nominal and I suspect that these tight bores are a big part of why they shoot so well. Lead boolits need to be .0015-.002 larger than bore size to limit leading.

Good Luck, YMMV

gitrdun
06-12-2015, 04:31 PM
Wouldn't the quick easy answer being as though a Ross is likely chambered .303 Brit be a .311 bullet? I know not of a Canadian made Ross being chambered in .303 other than a .280 Ross, the original 7mm Mag. /???

gitrdun
06-12-2015, 04:36 PM
Wouldn't the quick easy answer being as though a Ross is likely chambered .303 Brit be a .311 bullet? I know not of a Canadian made Ross being chambered in .303 other than a .280 Ross, the original 7mm Mag. /???

So my thinking is that if the Ross is chambered .303 Brit, then a .311 bullet is in order.

qwert
06-12-2015, 04:53 PM

My initial question for the OP was,
"Do you want to make small groups or just noise?"

The OP answered,
"I'd like to shoot it as well as I can."

I share your suspicion that after the OP confirms bore size and condition, he will select .311 bullets.
All the materials required to clean, inspect and measure the bore will cost less than a box of bullets, and if the bore is worth the cost of the bullets, will make them shoot better.

Modern techniques of partial resizing of fire-formed brass to head clearance off the shoulder rather than the rim can solve most of the head separation problems common with reloading 303Brit. Many people suggest the use of an O-ring to hold the case against the bolt face for initial fire-forming.

Some of those old Ross rifles were VERY accurate, they failed in military use largely because of poor quality British made 303 ammunition.

gitrdun
06-12-2015, 05:00 PM
My initial question for the OP was,
"Do you want to make small groups or just noise?"

The OP answered,
"I'd like to shoot it as well as I can."

I share your suspicion that after the OP confirms bore size and condition, he will select .311 bullets.
All the materials required to clean, inspect and measure the bore will cost less than a box of bullets, and if the bore is worth the cost of the bullets, will make them shoot better.

Some of those old Ross rifles were VERY accurate, they failed in military use largely because of poor quality British made 303 ammunition.

Clean, inspect all you want. Canadian made Ross were never made to shoot . 308 bullets. They were strictly a 303 Brit proposition.

qwert
06-12-2015, 05:07 PM
Clean, inspect all you want. Canadian made Ross were never made to shoot . 308 bullets. They were strictly a 303 Brit proposition.

Many SMLE rifles of that vintage are reported with large bore size variation, some as large as .320 or larger. YMMV.

elkdump
06-12-2015, 05:08 PM
An original Ross Rifle In good condition is exceptionally accurate and (un-bubba"d)(homegrown gunsmiths)having no technical intelligence!
There was two basic differences in the locking lugs, 1 type similar to a thread type lug, the other a 2head locking bolt that turned when pushed or pulled,

The .303British bore on all Ross rifles is .303/7.70mm NOT .308/7.62mm

gitrdun
06-12-2015, 05:09 PM
Many SMLE rifles of that vintage are reported with large bore size variation, some as large as .320 or larger. YMMV.

Thus making them even less of an option to use designated .308 bullets.

densa44
06-12-2015, 06:02 PM
It looks pretty good, I don't think this rifle was ever in France. Maybe just owned by a Canadian post war.

qwert
06-12-2015, 06:24 PM
It looks pretty good, I don't think this rifle was ever in France. Maybe just owned by a Canadian post war.

Is it a military sight or a target sight?

IIRC, Ross rifles won many of the pre-war long range competitions, and yours may have never seen real military use. If it was always properly cleaned and oiled after shooting, it may still shoot very well especially with custom tuned ammo.

Good Luck, YMMV.

Rman
06-12-2015, 08:42 PM

"303" bullets can come anywhere from .310 and up, and have an even larger swing if talking cast sizes. I believe qwert was directing the gentleman to simply slug his bore, take a measurement, and find out what size the bore is. Always better to know for sure, than to guess.
The proper sized bullet will then lend itself to the better accuracy that was requested.

R.

quasi
06-12-2015, 08:58 PM
you need .311 bullets if jacketed is used, Ross barrels are never oversize, and were known for their accuracy.

Dewey Cox
06-13-2015, 05:46 PM
Show us a picture of it!
Love those Ross Rifles.

Sashi
06-16-2015, 07:00 PM
P&D have 150 gr sierra's. 303 bullets .311dia, I picked up a box this morning.

Leeper
06-16-2015, 10:59 PM
The original question was whether or not 311 bullets were necessary for good accuracy. The only valid answer is "maybe".
I have seen Lee Enfields shoot very well (minute-of-angle or so) with bullets of .308" diameter or even less. However, I must confess to not having tried small bullets in a Ross.
One of the more consistently accurate bullets I have shot in various 303's has been the 174 Hornady RN which measures .312. It has proven to be very accurate at 100 yards. The Sierra 174 Matchking shoots real well if the rifle is a good one but in a mediocre barrel the Hornady usually shoots better.
As mentioned, cast bullets cannot be undersized and, in fact, usually work best if they are a couple thou over.
So, your Ross may shoot just fine with 308 bullets but you won't know unless you try. Leeper.