PDA

View Full Version : Nootka Marine Adventures

7mmremmag
06-12-2015, 09:09 PM
Has anyone ever fished with Nootka Marine Adventures? Specifically Nootka Sound Resort?
I am headed out there for four days of fishing from Aug 1-4.
I have fished the Coast 7 times, but all in Rupert and once in Sooke.
Kind of curious as to what I can expect, Ive never fished from a lodge. Every year we haul our own boat down and stay in hotel/rental cabin. We are doing the self guided/rental boat option trying to keep it cheaper.
We have chose not to haul our boat down due to time restrictions this year.

Just looking to hear how the fishing is in that area.
Or just hear your west coast salmon/hali fishing plans :sHa_shakeshout::sHa_shakeshout:

browning375
06-15-2015, 07:33 AM
We have stayed at the Moocha Bay resort which is run by Nootka Marine adventures doing BYOB thing a few times, and it was a nice place! We looked at their rental boats and seemed like they don't let them past the surfline out of Nootka, so offshore Halibut fishing and salmon fishing was out.

We found the inside was ok for salmon, but we fished Bajo reef most of the time and had exellent luck there. Halibut was good as well, but you have to go off shore to find the good holes.

Cheers

Rob.

elkoholik
06-15-2015, 07:53 PM
We have stayed at the Moocha Bay resort which is run by Nootka Marine adventures doing BYOB thing a few times, and it was a nice place! We looked at their rental boats and seemed like they don't let them past the surfline out of Nootka, so offshore Halibut fishing and salmon fishing was out.

We found the inside was ok for salmon, but we fished Bajo reef most of the time and had exellent luck there. Halibut was good as well, but you have to go off shore to find the good holes.

Cheers

Rob.

Rob, you can rent their trophy and gradies and take them out past the surf line, you are not allowed their aluminum boats as they are underpowered for the tides and wind. I myself have fished out of there for the past few years and rent their boats, I believe the trophy is 21' and goes for 499/day + fuel and the gradies are 23' and an extra hundred or so. The fishing that time of year is usually hot inside as the chinook begin to stack up, most fish are in the 18-22lb range. Best areas are usually Hoise point, camel rock, the light house and thaws inlet. If the weather is good head out to Bajo and most years it is on fire with coho and chinook, 2 years ago you could not get your line down without a hit, the coho was thick but were only allowed hatchery fish. We released 50-75 fish that day and only caught 6 keepers. Halibut fishing is usually good as well but you are not allowed to anchor with the rental boats so only drift fishing. You can do well around Bajo but watch the reef as it can be a gear catcher, also the ammo dump is good, all well known areas by everyone there so no one should lead you a stray. Good luck and may see you out there.

Cheers, Elk.

Nakoda boater
06-16-2015, 12:27 PM
We stayed at Moocha bay which was ok but if I was to fish the sound again it would where your staying or Critter cove. Closer to the inside hot spots and closer to the outside. Go west 5 mins. and your at Camel Rock. Then directly north of Camel rock by Strange island is good as well.
We were there the last two weeks of Aug. and caught lots on the inside from line breakers to low 20's and teeners too.
Enjoy!