PDA

View Full Version : Hasse Lake?

mallard man
01-12-2009, 09:51 PM
just found out how close this lake actually is to edmonton but I know nothing about it, I checked the regulations and could not find anything about the lake, can you keep any fish from the lake, what species of fish, and im not looking for someone to post their gold mine but if one side is better then the other or if anyone has any clues I would greatly appreciate any info. :)

addicted
01-12-2009, 11:11 PM
5 rainbow trout and perch in there not sure how many u can keep i think 15 and there are the odd pike in there aswelll . u can fish anywhere and have varying degrees of success... head to the island in the middle might be a starting point.

mallard man
01-13-2009, 12:14 PM
thanks for the info, is there a size limit on the raonbows, or pike. are there any decent sized perch in the lake?

mauserman
01-13-2009, 12:40 PM
Hasse was first stocked with rainbows in the 1950's.
Produced some large trout (5-8lbs)in the late seventies and early eighties.
The far side of the island opposite the boat launch and another area looking S.E. (45deg) from the island about 200yds from that opposite shore used to produce very well.Channel there. Quit fishing Hassie about 1985 as it got too crowded. There were no perch there at that time.
1/32 yellow beetle jigs with maggot, or small canned shrimp on a #12treble used to work very well, just off the bottom.
Check out Barry Mitchell's Alta fishing guide for other close spots, he and his dad have been giving directions for 40yrs.

mallard man
01-13-2009, 03:48 PM
Thanks mauser, Ive never fished for rainbows and havent been sucesful with perch but what kind of depth is best at hasse.

happy perch fisher
01-13-2009, 04:09 PM
Hassie good for two things 5inch perch and mud trout.

mallard man
01-13-2009, 04:18 PM
Is there any other pot hole lakes around edmonton that are good for perch and trout?

allenford
01-13-2009, 04:28 PM
Is there any other pot hole lakes around edmonton that are good for perch and trout?

north, follow highway 2, cardiff pond, morrinvile.

mallard man
01-13-2009, 04:30 PM
Wich one is better, any regulations to them

thundergrey
01-13-2009, 04:35 PM
Wich one is better, any regulations to them

me and a friend did cardiff the last 4 weekends and have brought out:
2 nice rainbow (mine was bigger)
2 nice perch
7 smaller perch

regulations? its not in the book all is fair game!:evilgrin: -jk- haha

walker197
01-13-2009, 05:24 PM
regs say 5 trout any size/ person, 15 perch any size/person

BigRackLover
01-13-2009, 05:27 PM
was at Hasse last Sunday, along with 80 other trucks. Fishing was good, going back again.

treebark
01-13-2009, 06:26 PM
regs say 5 trout any size/ person, 15 perch any size/person

Is this for hasse or cardiff

Morph1
01-14-2009, 08:14 AM
Hassie good for two things 5inch perch and mud trout.

LOL, I agree, Hasse also seems to have less and less trout year by year,
I used to have days there where you could catch over 50 in about 6 hours,
last year was the worst for me, and yeah the perch are there but a fishtank size :lol:...,
try East pit or Star for nice trout and Spring Lake or Mink Lake for not bad perch.
Cheers !

Mind you Cardiff pond sits on old garbage dump, yeah the fish are there, but regarding eating them I would think twice, but some people do eat them and are fine so the call is yours.

NFTrapper
01-14-2009, 08:46 AM
Sorry guys, as I am new to the area (Edmonton), would someone like to give some directions to Hasse Lake?

Thanks.

thundergrey
01-14-2009, 09:17 AM
http://maps.google.com/maps/ms?msa=0&msid=117747622745190585217.000458978bca568385c8c

Morph1
01-14-2009, 09:20 AM
easiest way would be to hit "White Mud" west and drive straight till you see the lake :wave:

NFTrapper
01-14-2009, 09:24 AM
Thanks guys...

Scratch
01-14-2009, 09:53 PM
Is this for hasse or cardiff

Last time I checked - the Trout / Perch limit regulations apply to every lake in Alberta, unless otherwise noted in the regs. If you don't have a copy of the regs - I would highly recommend getting a copy. Should have gotten one with your licence.

While there are plenty of well meaning folks here, none of us will stand up in court to back you up if we're wrong.

:)

Jozsef
01-15-2009, 05:16 PM
What's all of this talk about small perch at Hasse? Tried it for the first time last weekend and got my limit ... and some damn nice perch too including a monster (12"). I can't say they have a lot of meat on them though, probably cause they are full of eggs ..... or starving. The proof:

http://images.joemihok.com/joe/DSC_9406.jpg

http://images.joemihok.com/joe/DSC_9412.jpg

The Fish King
01-15-2009, 05:22 PM
those are going to make an awesome meal!

walker197
01-15-2009, 05:46 PM
this is for all alta. trout ponds, and for any lake that is not specified, anyways try not too keep too many, save some for the rest of the city that insists on going to this (was) good lake, and keeping too many fish

fishstick
01-15-2009, 06:08 PM
It's been 12 -13 years since I fished it last as I moved down south but we always had fun and some luck at lake Eden just west of edmonton by the ski hill. It had trout and perch as well. Seen some good sized trout come out of there.

happy perch fisher
01-15-2009, 07:10 PM
What's all of this talk about small perch at Hasse? Tried it for the first time last weekend and got my limit ... and some damn nice perch too including a monster (12"). I can't say they have a lot of meat on them though, probably cause they are full of eggs ..... or starving. The proof:

http://images.joemihok.com/joe/DSC_9406.jpg

http://images.joemihok.com/joe/DSC_9412.jpg

Thos fish all look so skinny considering there going into spawning mode. Probably no meat on them. Wow hassie must of gone down hill so much i remeber the perch being alot fatter 4 years ago.

dogboy
01-15-2009, 09:52 PM
Hasse is so full of fish they must be starving
I alwes see fish down my hole ther. but nothing worht keeping

wheres east pit ???

The Anvil
01-16-2009, 10:40 AM
Thos fish all look so skinny considering there going into spawning mode. Probably no meat on them. Wow hassie must of gone down hill so much i remeber the perch being alot fatter 4 years ago.

I recall them being a little fatter 4 years ago as well.

Jozsef
01-18-2009, 09:01 AM
Yep, cleaned them up and it was embarrassing ..... had half the size of fillets I was expecting. Went to a another perch lake yesterday, brought a good number home and had double the meat. Maybe they need to increase the limit .... I dunno .... but my guess is that the fish are overpopulated having little or no predators. The perch from lakes that have pike/walleye always seem to be of better quality.

allroundhunter
01-22-2009, 10:00 PM
srry

Drewski Canuck
01-23-2009, 08:58 AM
Apparently the Province looked at rehabilitating Hasse at a cost of over 1 mill. A complete kill could not be guaranteed, and the project was shelved. Yes the perch cleaned up the sticklebacks, and yes the perch compete with the trout for food. A vicious circle.

Since the target species is trout, what would be so wrong about no limit on Perch at Hasse, with the requirement that ALL PERCH CAUGHT be kept, and not returned to the lake. We are the top predator on the food chain, and if the goal is a good trout lake, the perch have to go one way or another.

IF there truely are pike in Hasse, then it may as well be left to revert to a pike / perch lake, like Mink and Mayatan. The costs on stocking are wasted on feeding the pike. However, in my youth many a fun day was spent trout fishing at Hasse, and there are few lakes around Edmonton any more that have reasonable trout fishing.

I wonder if there is a way to create a "winter kill" on this lake in late March through use of chemicals under the ice. I would gladly volunteer to fire up my power auger and spend a day cutting holes for the necessary chemical treatment when the oxygen levels are at their lowest in the water.

Drewski

Scratch
01-23-2009, 10:13 AM
I wonder if there is a way to create a "winter kill" on this lake in late March through use of chemicals under the ice. I would gladly volunteer to fire up my power auger and spend a day cutting holes for the necessary chemical treatment when the oxygen levels are at their lowest in the water.

Drewski

To suggest this hasn't already been tried to some degree (cough *spring*) would probably be wrong - but hey... could be fun. Problem is - miss only a few hundred Perch - and you're back where we started in 5 years.

Outside of of a COSTLY (1.5mil + was the last number I heard) Rotenone kill - ending the stocking and allowing the lake to return to the native species on their own schedule is probably the only option.

brook trout
07-28-2009, 10:40 PM
noooooooooooooooo! dont kill the perch! im very anxious to catch some! who cares about trout theres plenty of other trout lakes around edmonton make it a awesome perch lake!

Elk Chaser
07-28-2009, 10:58 PM
Try Chickacoo or Sauer Lake, just NW of Stoney Plain.