PDA

View Full Version : Barbless hooks!??

Girlsfishtoo
06-14-2015, 01:32 PM
Hey all of you's pretty new to fishing and would like to know what it is now barbed or barbless hooks thanks can't seem to find it anywhere

cube
06-14-2015, 02:05 PM
Hey all of you's pretty new to fishing and would like to know what it is now barbed or barbless hooks thanks can't seem to find it anywhere

In Alberta you can feel free to use either now.

JareS
06-14-2015, 07:15 PM
Myself, I think barbed hooks definitely have a place in some situations and not others. When pike fishing, bottom fishing or the rare occasion I'm trying to bring dinner home, I'll leave the barbs if they aren't already clamped. When I'm fishing for bull trout, native trout or using a treble, I will always crimp the barbs

I fish in Saskatchewan a barbless hooks are required, so a lot are already done. Next summer I'll be in the Yukon and you're required to use single barbless hooks

greylynx
06-14-2015, 07:41 PM
The way things are going in Alberta it will be "No hook" soon.

mongo
06-14-2015, 10:33 PM
barbless ,they're a lot easier to get out of your hands fingers

Chief16
06-14-2015, 10:36 PM
Myself, I think barbed hooks definitely have a place in some situations and not others. When pike fishing, bottom fishing or the rare occasion I'm trying to bring dinner home, I'll leave the barbs if they aren't already clamped. When I'm fishing for bull trout, native trout or using a treble, I will always crimp the barbs

I fish in Saskatchewan a barbless hooks are required, so a lot are already done. Next summer I'll be in the Yukon and you're required to use single barbless hooks

To comment on the Yukon part, they are not required through the entire territory. Only is specialty and conservation waters; some are single and barbless where as some are barbless.

Unclerj
06-15-2015, 12:11 PM
National Parks are all barbless, but other than that, barbs are fine in AB.

tirebob
06-15-2015, 12:34 PM

I believe in Sask you only require barbless hooks in C&R waters... I will look at my new reg book later and confirm...

Chief16
06-15-2015, 12:56 PM
National Parks are all barbless, but other than that, barbs are fine in AB.

That is incorrect

Okotokian
06-15-2015, 01:46 PM
barbless ,they're a lot easier to get out of your hands fingers

Yup, and your clothes... and the dog.

ak-71
06-15-2015, 03:15 PM
Yup, and your clothes... and the dog.

Hookless are even easier

RagingPenguin
06-15-2015, 03:46 PM
I leave small singles barbed. Everything else is pinched. I find the big hooks if barbed to be a pain the butt to remove.

tbiddy
06-15-2015, 04:29 PM
I believe in Sask you only require barbless hooks in C&R waters... I will look at my new reg book later and confirm...

You are correct. Just got back from a week in SK.

Bjay
06-16-2015, 12:22 PM
I was teaching a guy how to spey cast on the Columbia and got a large hook in the face when he brought his rod back too far on a cast. Went to pull it out. No go. It was barbed and on the Columbia no barbs. Had to shove it through to the outside of my cheek then cut it off and pull it back out, then waited 3 hours in emergency for a tetanus shot. Nasty, nasty
BJay

Okotokian
06-16-2015, 01:40 PM
Hookless are even easier

HA! On more than one occasion I've found myself fishing with a fly with the hooks snapped off, or a line with no fly, and wondered how many casts I'd made before noticing.

BBT
06-16-2015, 02:53 PM
That is incorrect

Barbless only in Waterton National Park

http://www.pc.gc.ca/eng/pn-np/ab/banff/activ/peche-fishing/visit14a.aspx#barbless