PDA

View Full Version : Oldman River Sturgeon (Lethbridge 2015)

blaze87
06-14-2015, 03:44 PM
Hey All,

How is everyones Strurgeon fishing going? specifically in the Oldman by Lethbridge this year? This is only my 2nd year trying, got my first one 2 weeks ago, and now I am addicted to catching more. It put up such a great fight!!

I am thinking the season is almost over?? the river is so low this year it already peaked about a week ago and I do not see it getting any higher without 100mm + of rain, how important is the high / dirty water for fishing these beauty's by Lethbridge?

clarki
06-14-2015, 05:14 PM
the water level is everything... the sturgeon action in Lethbridge peaks when the river does. within days of the river dropping and clearing up the Sturgeon will turn around and head back down to the south Saskatchewan. this year was a low water year and a slow sturgeon season (for me anyways). the Sturgeon are only in the Oldman to spawn. no Sturgeon overwinter in the Oldman (as per Terry Clayton, local fisheries bio) so dont expect to catch any in town over the summer. its not unheard of to get one in summer but dont count on it... the Oldman will be full of Goldeyes for the next couple of months and the walleye action tends to get good late August thru September if you know here to find them. enjoy!

blaze87
06-14-2015, 08:25 PM
Thanks Clarki, pretty much what I was thinking. Lets hope for more snow and more rain next year!! Like I say I am hooked!! Was the most exciting fish I have ever caught. Today marks the last day I am trying for them, spent 5 hours out today, just 2 sucker fish, the Oldman has dropped A metre since it peaked in early June. I will be going for some goldeyes and walleye, any tips? ;) I have a fly rod as well. I am just getting into fishing!

the water level is everything... the sturgeon action in Lethbridge peaks when the river does. within days of the river dropping and clearing up the Sturgeon will turn around and head back down to the south Saskatchewan. this year was a low water year and a slow sturgeon season (for me anyways). the Sturgeon are only in the Oldman to spawn. no Sturgeon overwinter in the Oldman (as per Terry Clayton, local fisheries bio) so dont expect to catch any in town over the summer. its not unheard of to get one in summer but dont count on it... the Oldman will be full of Goldeyes for the next couple of months and the walleye action tends to get good late August thru September if you know here to find them. enjoy!