PDA

View Full Version : Anyone launch a boat at the Sangudo boat launch?

Bobby B.
06-18-2015, 08:03 AM
A buddy and I want to fish the Pembina River. I understand there is a boat launch in Sangudo, an unserviced boat launch. I want to launch a 14 ft. Naden tinner that's is transported on a trailer. Does anyone have any experience with or knowledge of the Sangudo boat launch?

Bobby

Esox
06-18-2015, 09:16 AM
you plan on running a prop in the river? You likely wont get far with that. Be prepared to do a lot of walking and pulling the boat across shallow spots only to be able to run a short distance with the motor.

Bobby B.
06-18-2015, 11:21 AM
yes, I thought I would lift the prop as high as possible while still maintaining ample coolant flow and s l o w l y putting about on the river.

Bobby

Kurt505
06-18-2015, 11:35 AM
yes, I thought I would lift the prop as high as possible while still maintaining ample coolant flow and s l o w l y putting about on the river.

Bobby

You might be ok this time of year Bobby, but where I float the river closer to where it drains into the athabasca it's shallow, lots of rock bars. We once tore a hole in the bottom of a zebec. The only thing I use in the pembina now a days is a kayak, and even then in August I have to get out every now and then and pull the kayak across the shallows.

Bring a spare prop for sure, if you have a chewed up one is put that on right off the bat, keep the good one for the float back down stream. Otherwise drop off up stream and float down stream. The spots buy my cabin are any where from a 6hr float, to a 14hr float depending on where you drop off and float to. The one I do most often is a 7-10hr float depending on the water level, flow rate, and temperature. If it's hot there is more time spent drinking beverages.

Bobby B.
06-18-2015, 01:11 PM
Kurt,

Thanks for the useable info. Much appreciated.

About 35 years ago, a university buddy and I rented a 12 ft. tinner powered by a 10 hp outboard. We camped at the Dunvegan Bridge and went up the Peace every morning hoping to kill a spring bear. While navigating stretches of rapids, numerous times we were bouncing the prop off the bottom. For us, it only heightened the experience. We considered it both a learning experience and an opportunity to see what can be accomplished with judicious effort. And, we killed a bear.

The sense of adventure never leaves some of us despite age diminishing our physical strength, afterall, muscle is seldom as critical to success as is sound reasoning.

Bobby

troutmountain
06-18-2015, 01:29 PM
Check the river flows on the govt site looks too low less than 10m/sec

Bobby B.
06-18-2015, 01:43 PM
Thanks, troutmountain. We checked it before fishing it last night and we will check it before we go next time. That govt site can be very useful at times.

Bobby

troutmountain
06-18-2015, 03:20 PM
How did the boat work in there?

Bobby B.
06-18-2015, 04:07 PM
We didn't launch my boat but were fishing from the bank. From what my buddy believes, the deeper holes in the river are no longer where they once were. We agreed it would be a sound startegy to explore more of the river via boat and locate some new deep holes. Find the holes, find the fish.

Bobby

troutmountain
06-18-2015, 04:47 PM
We floated in a zodiac from entwistle to range ton last summer when the water was at 50m/sec and only found 1 hole over 10 feet deep couple shallow eddies that were 5feet at the seam held a few 5lbers. Water was pretty murky we camped at Matthews crossing nice trip. Last August we floated from Flatbush to mouth than to Chisholm. Nice trip caught a 13 lb jack and a got into a school of big gold eye. Very nice scenery took 3 days for that trip. Was very hot not many walleye biting until dark. The fire that burned up there years back has sure grown up nicely. The water was very low but we were able to use my little 3.5hp to zip through the shallow stretches to get to the deeper water.