PDA

View Full Version : Fishing Kayak newbie looking to try it out.

AdverseCity
06-18-2015, 11:42 AM
I just spent the last couple hours reading about fishing kayaks here and on other sites, I'm convinced that I now require one. I'm not afraid to spend good money on a sit-on-top fishing kayak but I'd hate to make a purchase without some first hand experience.

I've seen many people here have extra kayaks and have offered to bring someone out for the day, hoping I might get one of those offers. I'd be willing to drive and cover expenses for the trip (within reason) and even supply the camper if you'd like to make it an overnight trip. In a perfect world someone has 2 SOT kayaks with pedals that we can load in my toy hauler and head up to a mountain lake somewhere. Please let me know if you'd be interested in something like this, reply here or PM is fine. Cheers,

Rob

Roughneck12
06-18-2015, 12:14 PM
Sadly I only have one Hobie. Maybe Jim Kind will drop by.

It is a fantastic way to go. I'm glad I took the plunge. Especially every time I roll my yak past the huge line ups at the slip. I just giggle, put it in the water and away I go. I get a lot of,"What is that?"

thumper
06-18-2015, 01:12 PM
My Hobies spend their summers at the lake cabin in BC. If you're down in Fernie, the Kootenay Fly Shop used to rent Hobies on Lake Kookanusa - don't know if they still do.
Or better yet, attend the East Slope Kayak Fishing Classic derby July 4th at Caroline AB. You don't have to sign up to be a spectator, and Jim (the local Hobie rep) usually has a couple of demos there to try out.
For more info on the derby, go to the Canadian Kayak Anglers website and look under the 'Kayak Fishing Events' tab for the 2015 Eastslope Kayak Fishing Classic thread.
Good luck!

AlbertaAngler
06-18-2015, 01:28 PM
My Hobies spend their summers at the lake cabin in BC. If you're down in Fernie, the Kootenay Fly Shop used to rent Hobies on Lake Kookanusa - don't know if they still do.
Or better yet, attend the East Slope Kayak Fishing Classic derby July 4th at Caroline AB. You don't have to sign up to be a spectator, and Jim (the local Hobie rep) usually has a couple of demos there to try out.
For more info on the derby, go to the Canadian Kayak Anglers website and look under the 'Kayak Fishing Events' tab for the 2015 Eastslope Kayak Fishing Classic thread.
Good luck!

Went and checked out the Eastslope Kayak Fishing Classic site and it was a blog about Rave clothing?

thumper
06-18-2015, 01:33 PM
Don't know what the problem was - here's a 'cut & paste' from their forum:

Hey everyone. Things are under way here in Alberta already for our tournament. We have got all of our licenses and permits in place and are already starting to receive donations from our sponsors.

This year we are doing things a little different. We are fishing 2 lakes simultaneously, so anglers will have to budget their time well since each lake holds species that are found in both lakes and also a species that is found only in that lake. This should make for an interesting event and will allow different angler to play into their own wheelhouse when fishing for certain species.

Registration is open at https://eastslopekayakfishingclassic.wordpress.com/registration/

Cost is $60 and there is camping available in the host community of Caroline.

Wilderness Systems has stepped up once again as our kayak sponsor for the door prize and we are already starting to see some very cool prizes being donated.

We are fishing Burnstick Lake and Phyllis Lake here in Alberta. Both lakes will allow angler to catch 5 Yellow Perch and 4 White Suckers, while Burnstick will allow for 1 Northern Pike over 63 cm and Phyllis will allow for 5 Trout, for a total of 15 possibly fish to be entered.

Hope to see a lot of you guys out here.

If you have any questions, please email me at eastslopeclassic@gmail.com or call me at 403-392-1922

Mike

AlbertaAngler
06-18-2015, 01:43 PM
Thanks,

The CKA site directs you to eastslopekayakfishingclassic.com when you click on their link.

The actual one is https://eastslopekayakfishingclassic.wordpress.com/

RavYak
06-18-2015, 03:00 PM
I have a hobie outback as well as a ocean kayak trident 13.

I would be willing to let you try them out but I am located in Edmonton and have half my summer booked already so getting together might be tough... I do want to do a Kananaskis trip this summer though so that is an idea. There is a chance it could be next week(depending on other buddies plans and weather) otherwise July 11 or July 18 or August some time...

Glenmore sailboats I believe has some hobie demos you can try as well.

Simply put if you have the money to spend on them you can't beat a hobie. The only trick is deciding on what model suits you best. I chose the outback and enjoy it. I like some aspects of the revo but believe storage would be an issue. Pro Angler is out of the story for what I use my kayak for, I have a hard enough time dragging my outback in and out of some of the places I go.

Red Bullets
06-18-2015, 03:07 PM
If anyone is commenting on their experience I would like to know how comfortable a person is after a few hours of fishing. Are they as bad as a canoe?

To the OP... if you buy one just be careful if you go on the ocean. :)

lakerman
06-18-2015, 03:08 PM
I'm in the same boat as op. Paddlefest at Elk Island is happening at the end of the month, but no hobies there. I've searched everywhere, and only found out on the Island in Sooke is where you can rent one for a day. Asked at Glenmore in Edm. and no demo days that they know of. I have searched out some prices and there must be some kind of caveat on lowering prices, because nobody will drop their price. :angry3:

Roughneck12
06-18-2015, 03:28 PM
They sell them as fast as they bring them in. They are expensive but worth it.
They also by them in American dollars so its dependent on exchange rates, the price they sell them for.

thumper
06-18-2015, 04:40 PM
Gord at the Kootenay Fly Shop in Fernie usually brings in new or slightly used demo Hobies at good prices. I know he is expecting a shipment any day now and plans to post the new stock and prices on his website or by newsletter. I've bought 2 Hobies off of him, along with parts and accessories, and he's a good guy to deal with at fair prices. Like all the (few) Canadian dealerships, he has a tough time getting orders in quickly from the US.

RavYak
06-18-2015, 05:55 PM
If anyone is commenting on their experience I would like to know how comfortable a person is after a few hours of fishing. Are they as bad as a canoe?

I regularly spend 10-12 hrs in my kayak at a time and am comfortable enough with my kayaks. My old canoe wasnt near as comfortable except laying in the bottom for a snooze lol.

AdverseCity
06-19-2015, 09:52 AM
There's a 2011 Hobie Pro Angler on Kijiji for $2500, compared to $3379 for a brand new model. Is that a typical price for a used one? I'd think that's a bit high for something 4-5 years old, would prefer to be closer to $2000 myself. I'll probably check it out and make an offer this weekend, pretty sure I've decided on the Pro Angler.

ineptflux
06-19-2015, 12:41 PM
There's a 2011 Hobie Pro Angler on Kijiji for $2500, compared to $3379 for a brand new model. Is that a typical price for a used one? I'd think that's a bit high for something 4-5 years old, would prefer to be closer to $2000 myself. I'll probably check it out and make an offer this weekend, pretty sure I've decided on the Pro Angler.

For very good reason, they don't really lose their value for resale.

jkind
06-19-2015, 02:32 PM
http://www.kijiji.ca/v-canoe-kayak-paddle-boat/grande-prairie/2013-hobie-pro-angler-12-for-sale/1080150820?enableSearchNavigationFlag=true

This is a smoking deal on a 2012 PA...it is in Fairview but I think he is coming down for the Eastslope Kayak Fishing Classic on July 4th. I know the owner and the original owner...this unit is in very good shape and it has the new Vantage seat!

Jim

AdverseCity
06-19-2015, 04:13 PM
http://www.kijiji.ca/v-canoe-kayak-paddle-boat/grande-prairie/2013-hobie-pro-angler-12-for-sale/1080150820?enableSearchNavigationFlag=true

This is a smoking deal on a 2012 PA...it is in Fairview but I think he is coming down for the Eastslope Kayak Fishing Classic on July 4th. I know the owner and the original owner...this unit is in very good shape and it has the new Vantage seat!

Jim

That one seems like a more reasonable price, only $100 more with lots of extras. I'll reply to his ad right away, if he is coming down this way for the tournament I'd be very interested in buying it. My buddy has a seasonal campsite on Burntstick lake that I can park my camper on for the weekend too. Thanks for the heads up Jim.

AdverseCity
06-20-2015, 11:15 PM
Jim, thanks again for posting that link, I just bought it from Carl and couldn't be happier. I lucked out on timing, he was coming through Calgary on his way to BC so he delivered it right to my door. Not sure if I'll enter the Burntstick/Phyllis tournament but I'll definitely be there, I look forward to meeting you and a bunch of other kayak fishermen. Cheers

thumper
06-21-2015, 02:07 AM
And another one joins the Hobie nation !
Welcome aboard.

Bushrat
06-21-2015, 12:26 PM
Curious as to how these hobie kayaks handle in rivers and shallow water. do the foot peddle paddles get wrecked in shallow rapids, can they be easily removed or folded out of the way and can they be set up with oar locks to use oars?

thumper
06-21-2015, 01:20 PM
Not really built for shallow waters and rivers, but you can 'flutter' the fins back and forth right against the hull in an almost horizontal plane, in order to get through short stretches of shallow water, or easily & quickly remove the pedal drive altogether and use your paddle to get through shallow parts, or when beaching on shore.

I wouldn't want to risk bashing the drive mechanism on whitewater rocks in a river, but on slow moving, deeper rivers, they work fine. I've used mine to float the Kootenay River (between Skookumchuck & Ft Steele) and on the larger back eddies of the Columbia River near Castlegar without any problems. I've been in white-water where a rushing stream pours into a larger lake, (Kootenay, Slocan and Upper Arrow Lakes) and they are definitely not that stable cross-wise in heavy current! But in shallower, slow moving water, I've even used the pedals to 'pinch' the fins on the bottom, holding a position in light current.

ineptflux
07-06-2015, 05:36 PM
I just found a revolution for a decent price, pretty expensive for my first kayak but I'm excited to let the games begin in regards to upgrading it. I don't even really know where to start lol. I pick it up on Saturday. :sHa_shakeshout:

The outback I was originally going to buy was snatched up instantly within the time I responded to the seller :(

thumper
07-06-2015, 11:45 PM
The Revolution is a fine Hobie yak. Fast & maneuverable - you'll enjoy it.

ineptflux
07-11-2015, 01:23 AM
The Revolution is a fine Hobie yak. Fast & maneuverable - you'll enjoy it.

i'm pumped, it's sitting in my garage right now but i kinda want to take it to bed, lol.

on a more serious note, i got stopped not even 1.5 hrs after picking it up today for a "mandatory watercraft" check - didn't even know kayaks were part of the check.

58thecat
07-11-2015, 07:10 AM

Ya watched shark week and saw an episode where one hit a fishing kayak, guy gets rescued but buddies continue and they get hit too...moral of the story have a bigger boat than the biggest predator so you should be good inland.