PDA

View Full Version : Floating down the N. Sask (Edm) fishing question

anorthernhunter
06-18-2015, 08:43 PM
Hi Everyone,

I will be canoeing (drifting) from Devon to Edmonton on Sunday.

I was thinking of taking a rod and a small spoon etc., and either "trolling" as the canoe drifts or casting from the canoe.

Has anyone tried this ... any thoughts?

Thanks,

Northern

troutmountain
06-18-2015, 09:44 PM
Try trolling a floating rapala.

FlyTheory
06-19-2015, 08:22 AM
I've done this countless times. I wouldn't recommend trolling since it's so easy to get hung up. My friends and I stop at runs and holes, take a few casts, and keep going. It's very effective and hanging up isn't as big of an issue. Very beautiful float, good luck!

Kurt505
06-19-2015, 08:28 AM
I've done this countless times. I wouldn't recommend trolling since it's so easy to get hung up. My friends and I stop at runs and holes, take a few casts, and keep going. It's very effective and hanging up isn't as big of an issue. Very beautiful float, good luck!

What's your average float time?

FlyTheory
06-19-2015, 08:44 AM
What's your average float time?

Well I take out at the Henday bridge because it's easier, and that's about 21km. It takes us about 6-7 hours without stopping. With stopping to fish, we make it a 10hr day. heads up, if you do the full float, going around Terwillegar dog park takes a decent amount of time if you choose to do the entire float (Devon boat launch to Edmonton boat launch).

waterninja
06-19-2015, 09:10 AM
Hope you have good weather. What kind/color canoe you using/ Perhaps I'll wave to you as you float by. Good luck.

Kurt505
06-19-2015, 09:13 AM
Well I take out at the Henday bridge because it's easier, and that's about 21km. It takes us about 6-7 hours without stopping. With stopping to fish, we make it a 10hr day. heads up, if you do the full float, going around Terwillegar dog park takes a decent amount of time if you choose to do the entire float (Devon boat launch to Edmonton boat launch).

Thanks!

I know how much longer river floats take in real life compared to google maps, lol!

anorthernhunter
06-19-2015, 10:01 AM
Thank you very much guys.

This is the power of the forum. Much appreciated.

I know we are renting canoes from a company that is meeting us in Devon at 9 Sunday and meeting us at a takeout - they say around 2 - 3:00.

I suspect there won't be much time to meander and fish but a cast here and there shouldn't slow us down much.

Again - ideas: Floating rapella - because it sits on the surface and doesn't hang up? Spoons? Spinners?

I was thinking that if we are drifting with the current and our hook therefore is going with the current there wouldn't be much action on the hook so casting might be better.

Thanks again everyone.

(half of the fun of fishing is talking about fishing)

Northern

Red Bullets
06-19-2015, 12:54 PM
Oddly enough, when I canoed down the river one time i threw a small piece orange peel in the water and a goldeye sucked it down so I put a little strip of orange peel on a single snelled hook and let it drift along while canoeing and did catch a few goldeye on orange peels. The water was quite clear that trip.
Just a worm on a snelled hook drifted would catch goldeye and mooneye.
Rapalas will get you the toothier fish.

Always wear your PDF.

dmcbride
06-19-2015, 02:56 PM
Check the wind forecast before you go. A strong east wind will turn a 5 hour trip into 10hrs of hard paddling.

mudbug
06-19-2015, 03:27 PM
Have a great trip and stay safe :)
Nice to see a thread where it isn't derailed or trolled :thinking-006::thinking-006:

nsherman72
06-19-2015, 05:12 PM
What company are you renting from?

FlyTheory
06-19-2015, 06:41 PM
Actually yeah, building on what red bullets said, if you put a size 4 hook with a worm under a bobber you'd catch a ton of goldeye and you wouldn't get hung up if you made it 3' under the bobber, which is by far deep enough. And if you don't want to buy worms, grasshoppers work well too!

anorthernhunter
06-22-2015, 03:18 PM
Well back from my float.

Had a great time. The company we used was Edmonton Canoe.

They meet you at Emily Murphy Park, you load a school bus and they
drive everyone to Devon where you pick up your canoe, PFD and away you go.

We left Devon around 10 and arrived back at Emily Murphy at 4:10. We paddled quite a bit but stopped three times.

I trolled a floating rapella (thank you for the tip) and caught a good sized Goldeye 5 minutes in. I didn't get as much fishing in as I'd have liked because I was at the back and was steering (and my wife wanted to paddle vs drift and fish :)

Thanks again for all the advice.

Mods: Nice to see a thread not derailed with negativity.

Fishermen/women: a great bunch of people helping others.

-Northern