PDA

View Full Version : Island Lake by Athabasca

Morph1
01-14-2009, 10:31 AM
Hey Guys,

Just wondering if anyone tried the Island Lake this winter season yet?
I know what to expect there just wondering how is the snow in that area?
can you drive on the lake ?? , and well how is the fishing there,
last summer just could not keep the pike away from the hooks, caught the most fish in one single day ever almost to the point that my forearms hurt as hell and had to give up lol.
How is fishing there?? anyone

thanks.

double gun
01-14-2009, 11:31 AM
There is enough snow up here....but the lakes I have been to have had enough traffic that I could get around nicely. With that said, it snowed yesterday, and the day before.

The Fish King
01-14-2009, 12:05 PM
where abouts on the lake were you targeting the pike? I have fished there before and the north bay was just awesome for whites

Morph1
01-14-2009, 12:14 PM
Well we were at the south end of the lake right by the big Island,
lol the pikes were hitting as soon as the spoon hits the water lol , that day I caught about 150 hammer handles :lol: in about 7 hours of fishing, it was to the point I call insane , but all the fish were small though only 2 keepers but hell was that fun, the fish were very aggresive going after the luer 4- 5 times in one run, sometimes you hook them right by the boat lol.
but what I've see there simply amazed me but its a secret :lol:, and that is what I am after for this coming weekend.
(if you want more info just pm me:)
I can simply say that last year that lake produced the best fishing I have ever experienced so far.

The Fish King
01-14-2009, 12:46 PM
that does sounds like an awesome day of fishing! I am heading up that way this weekend with a few friends, so we may have to try it. Any other good lakes out there?

double gun
01-14-2009, 09:28 PM
Any other good lakes out there?

From there you can try baptiste, ghost, 1st and 2nd chain, crooked, meyer, lawerence, and jenkins. They are all within 20mins of there.

djwf69
01-14-2009, 10:46 PM
Has anyone ever fished in there. How was it ?

double gun
01-14-2009, 10:52 PM
Ive fished it, but only open water. Lots of jacks, and perch.
Its sometimes a nice place to try out, and you often have the lake to yourself. Where we launch is a bit of a pain, its a soft bottom, and you need to back in a long ways....but I keep going back.:rolleyes:

riskytype
01-15-2009, 12:23 AM
If you are looking for lunker pike and great perch try Baptiste. I haven't fished it for a few years but if you take the first left into the lake on the Highway from Athabasca.(I think it is in large curve in the road). Drive down to the lake and enter near some residences. The first right after the left taken to leave the highway. Head onto the lake through the bull rush marsh. Head straight for the middle of the lake which will be a slight left angle from the shore. About 250-300m from the shore the lake bottom rises to 8' of water. The pike on the top of that flat spot and on each of the edges USED to be fantastic. My largest was 43" and 28 pounds. We had several dozens over the years go 18lbs plus. Now from that high spot look back to where you entered the lake. Look right of the enterance about 400m and you should see a huge lone pine tree. straight out from that pine tree about 100m, I used to limit out everytime on Jumbo perch all 1lb plus. Further to the south from there towards the actual boat launch and a river inlet, walleye fishing was great. Not sure of the walleye regs anymore.

If you can follow my directions and the lake is still good, you should have a great time. Meyer is good also but if I'm not mistaken, it was 4wheel access only back when I used to fish it. Be careful of springs and moving water from the back of the lake. Found myself on 6'' with my truck 200m from shore when the rest of the lake had 2' plus of ice.