PDA

View Full Version : Fun evening on Glenmore res

aulrich
06-22-2015, 10:01 AM
Spend yesterday evening paddling around Glenmore reservoir on the yak, a very pleasant night out considering the weekend we had. We caught 4 pike in a couple of hours one approaching decent (hatched handle vs hammer handle). But we had spend a fair amount of time just exploring. We did run into a couple of surprises. The water is really low right now a guy coming out as we were going in said something like 2m low with runoff limping along I wonder when will they fill it back up. And there is a massive cabbage bed around that floating dock West of the canoe club. I think if anyone saw us drifting in the middle of nowhere casting, they would have thought we were nuts but it worked.

Now we just need to figure out where to catch trout. I suspect I did find some perch since I marked some clouds of something in the deeper parts of the old river channel.

Not high performance fishing, but it beats an evening watching wild tv by a long shot.

Okotokian
06-22-2015, 11:06 AM
Son wants to fish one of these evenings after work. Was wracking my brain as to where to go close to Calgary. Glenmore would be perfect! Is there a good place to fish from shore there? I'm most familiar with the area around the sailing club and also the canoe club. Thanks.

Flieguy
06-22-2015, 12:01 PM
Son wants to fish one of these evenings after work. Was wracking my brain as to where to go close to Calgary. Glenmore would be perfect! Is there a good place to fish from shore there? I'm most familiar with the area around the sailing club and also the canoe club. Thanks.

Pine coulee is not much farther from okotoks than Glenmore, and it's a lot better kid fishing. Fun for grow'd ups too! caught 31 in a few hours the other day, some on a fly rod. PM me if you want details

Okotokian
06-22-2015, 12:14 PM
Pine coulee is not much farther from okotoks than Glenmore, and it's a lot better kid fishing. Fun for grow'd ups too! caught 31 in a few hours the other day, some on a fly rod. PM me if you want details

Thanks Flieguy. I thought about Glenmore because my son lives in Calgary and works downtown (as do I). Would be easy to just mosey over to Glenmore after work. I do agree about Pine Coulee. I usually hit there or Chain lakes or Bear Pond.

aulrich
06-22-2015, 01:15 PM
Officially that was only my second time there, and at that it is sort of sad, seeing I have lived here the better part of 20 years. Lot's of the hits we have had came close to the bank at least for the pike we have caught.

Judging by what I was seeing on the sounder it may be worth while going west of the canoe club to where there is some deeper water close to shore. But I would not just pitch lures across, I would drift a jig or drop shot type rig on a slip bobber. I was marking schools of something in the deeper water.

My son has done reasonably well casting lures in the Bow as well, downstream the Douglasdale bridge there is a decent bit of deep water that you could spin fish easy without having to haul waders.

aulrich
06-22-2015, 02:09 PM
As an example of the quality of my information I launched at south glenmore park not the canoe club, please adjust for my brain fart :)