PDA

View Full Version : Stocked lakes around Edmonton for trout fishing?

Big_Russky
06-22-2015, 10:22 AM
I've been fishing for some years at Sauer and Chickakoo Lakes but have recently gotten disappointed in both. The lakes seem to be drying out and getting more crowded with people and and just plain overall less enjoyable. The fish has also gotten smaller and oftentimes you are lucky to catch one or two in a day.
Does anyone have any suggestions of other trout stocked lakes within 1-1.5-hour drive from Edmonton, with easily accessible shores? Thanks!

Red Bullets
06-22-2015, 10:57 AM
Cardiff, Ashland dam, Mount Red Reservour.

Dak1138
06-22-2015, 12:23 PM
Morinville reservoir (Heritage Lake) , Beaumont , By The Lake Park(Wetaskiwin).

fsa313
06-22-2015, 12:28 PM
Go to http://beta.myalbum.com/album/TKiLsxkxRwyR
and I suggest you look at Star and Salter's
Neil

fsa313
06-22-2015, 12:44 PM
East Pit is another one.
Neil

Big_Russky
06-23-2015, 08:41 PM
Neil
Thanks a lot for the album, very helpful, great work! With regards to Salter's Lake, it says in the album there was a severe winterkill last winter, so is it worth trying now?

Jason.seaward
06-23-2015, 10:19 PM
Thanks for the album Neil! Great amount of info. I am looking forward to exploring some of these places that I never knew existed!

Dak1138
06-24-2015, 07:29 AM
From my limited experience at Salters zit you don't have a boat you have to walk to find a muddy spot along the shoreline to fish. Fly fishing is difficult to say the least.
My choices in no particular order for larger fish with good accessibility would be , East Pit, Beaumont, and Morinville. Cardiff has excellent accessibility but the fish are rather small.
Good luck and tell us how you make out.

waterninja
06-24-2015, 07:38 AM
I'll add Spring and Muir to this list, and both of these lakes have some bigger trout in them.

alltoys
06-24-2015, 02:37 PM
Neil

Awesome amount of information.

Would you have a similar one for Perch?

Gerry
06-24-2015, 07:13 PM
Salter had a major winter kill last winter.
I would wait until the fall to fish it unless you don't mind
fish from 6 to 7 inches.

fsa313
06-25-2015, 10:38 AM
Sorry no album for perch. Cripes,k guys, I'm 79 and I'm not looking for a second career.
Neil

alltoys
06-26-2015, 12:11 PM
Sorry no album for perch. Cripes,k guys, I'm 79 and I'm not looking for a second career.
Neil

I hear you. Lots of work on the calender you deserve a big pat on the back well done. I wish I had the patience you had in making it.

pipco
06-27-2015, 02:52 PM
I'll add Spring and Muir to this list, and both of these lakes have some bigger trout in them.

Bait ban at Muir and limit restrictions. Please read signage.

fsa313
07-03-2015, 11:27 AM
I love the plaudits but I still need help. Please contact me at neilstuartsutherland@gmail.com if you can add anything on a lake.
Neil

Big_Russky
07-08-2015, 09:19 AM
I went a bit farther from Edmonton last weekend, to McLeod Lake in the Carson-Pegasus Provincial Park. The lake has a seawall with park benches on it from which you can fish in comfort. I only got one rainbow (although a decent 14-incher), but some guys around me were popping (mostly smaller) fish out of the water like crazy. I was using shrimp, which didn't seem to be too popular with trout in that lake. The other guys were using Powerbait floating eggs dipped in that scented gooey stuff. Unfortunately, I only had a limited supply of Powerbait nuggets with me...Oh well...

Granrey
07-08-2015, 12:24 PM
I went a bit farther from Edmonton last weekend, to McLeod Lake in the Carson-Pegasus Provincial Park. The lake has a seawall with park benches on it from which you can fish in comfort. I only got one rainbow (although a decent 14-incher), but some guys around me were popping (mostly smaller) fish out of the water like crazy. I was using shrimp, which didn't seem to be too popular with trout in that lake. The other guys were using Powerbait floating eggs dipped in that scented gooey stuff. Unfortunately, I only had a limited supply of Powerbait nuggets with me...Oh well...

This is my favorite lake, not only is good for fishing but the scenery is great.

I have never come empty-handed there. I suggest to use the longest rod you can find, it will allow you to cast farther away than regular rods. On my experience, it does make a big difference in this lake.

My friends use the same bait/hook setup I have and they catch way less than me in about 5 visits. The only difference is the distance of the cast.

Granrey
07-08-2015, 12:26 PM
Cardiff, Ashland dam, Mount Red Reservour.

I had a great time last weekend over there. I went with a cheap inflatable boat (seahawk2).

Olddream
04-22-2017, 07:46 PM
East Pit is another one.
Neil
Hi Neil. I met u two weeks ago at ur club open house.