PDA

View Full Version : Rivers down south are really low it seems

bessiedog
06-22-2015, 11:03 PM
Fished three rivers/creeks yesterday..
Fishing was great, but I sure noticed that the water levels in all three systems were verymuch lower than what I'm
Used to encountering this time of year.

Great fishing! Lots of good Dryfly action and lots of very fat fish....

But I can't help wondering if we're gonna see some water bodies being closed.

What's the Bow and Red Deer looking like?

slivers86
06-23-2015, 02:21 AM
Do they actually close rivers and streams? Most creeks that get low just get full of algae and I think people just stay away from them.. Not being ignorant, but just dont know the answer :thinking-006:

Roughneck12
06-23-2015, 08:09 AM
Red Deer is low also. Not much run off this year it seems.

Bobbydee
06-23-2015, 08:31 AM
low snowpack melting of to fill the rivers.

how has the fishing been so far. anyone fish the crowsnest yet?

Tom Pullings
06-23-2015, 10:59 AM
I caught lots of rainbows and bulls in the Crowsnest on opening day.

bessiedog
06-23-2015, 11:47 AM
It feels like late July-early-mid-Aug fishing.

regular hatches, clear water, eager fish.

Nice evening fishing at the big holes as well.

Crow is fishing great.

and yes.... they do shut down creeks and rivers here... If the water temp is too great, the F&W will close the fishery as catching would over stress the fish and kill them.

its happened twice before that i recall.

chad66
06-23-2015, 02:05 PM
Fished three rivers/creeks yesterday..
Fishing was great, but I sure noticed that the water levels in all three systems were verymuch lower than what I'm
Used to encountering this time of year.

Great fishing! Lots of good Dryfly action and lots of very fat fish....

But I can't help wondering if we're gonna see some water bodies being closed.

What's the Bow and Red Deer looking like?

Rivers are low in the north too. I drove up to the NWT this past weekend. The Steen river and the Hay are both low. So is the Kakisa river; so low in fact that you can easily walk along the streamside downstream of Lady Evelyn Falls. Some of the small streams we passed appeared all but dried up.

blaze87
06-23-2015, 05:32 PM
very very low... one of the mildest winters I have seen around here with low snowpack that was mostly melted before the none existent June rains. I was able to walk accross the Oldman river upstream of Lethbridge and the St Marys River this past weekend with no problems. I picked my lines but the highest it got was about 3.5 feet when I crossed the oldman.

Habfan
06-23-2015, 07:07 PM
Alberta Government and Tran Alta got together to keep the reservoirs low until the flood season is over ! So they are probably filling the reservoirs now and letting out the least amount of water that they can ! In some smaller streams that don't have dams, that is just due to a slower melt. This weekend should speed things up IMO. The deal between the government and Trans Alta will go on for some time, at least until they build a dry dam.

Rikkles Fisher
06-23-2015, 07:44 PM
Anyone know how the castle river is? Making my first trip down there all the way from Drayton valley area! Hoping to hook into a new personal best cutthroat! What lures would you guys recommend for spin casting lures for cutts?