PDA

View Full Version : launch boat from cochrane and how to get out

cc2015
06-23-2015, 02:19 PM
My friends and me want to launch their inflatable boat from cochrane boat launch area and drift down to bearspaw reservior. But we don't know how to get out of the bearspaw which is surrounded by private land. We do see someone sailing the inflatable boat there. Is there anyone can help to advise how to get out from bearspaw or did that before.

Thanks

little b
06-23-2015, 03:49 PM
It's been awhile since I did that but we went in via the boat launch just east of the dam, which boat launch are you referring to

cc2015
06-23-2015, 04:30 PM
It's been awhile since I did that but we went in via the boat launch just east of the dam, which boat launch are you referring to

Thanks. I search the google map and find out that the road to that point is blocked by CP rail. How did you get your boat out? Did you carry it by hand and put it back to the river downstream of the dam?

cc2015
06-23-2015, 09:27 PM
:sign0161:

Bigdad013
06-24-2015, 01:54 AM
Unless you go knock on a few doors and ask the property owners if you can access there land and park you vehicle there, I think you would have to portage it below the dam and take it out at Bowness park.
If you do talk to the owners, a nice touch is a case of beer or a bottle, thats how I get access to go Ice fishing there. :sHa_shakeshout:

lds
06-24-2015, 06:04 AM
Right where the river enters the res. on the south side there is a small piece of public land with a parking lot. It's at the end of range Rd. 32 I believe. You can get out there.

cougarcreek
06-24-2015, 12:49 PM
Just to add the slope there is quite high and takes a bit of effort to get your boat out and keep in mind that the river level fluctuates greatly with high river flow hitting Cochrane at around 11:00am

cc2015
06-24-2015, 07:35 PM
Right where the river enters the res. on the south side there is a small piece of public land with a parking lot. It's at the end of range Rd. 32 I believe. You can get out there.

I have been there before and found out there is a small cliff which is about 20 feets high. Almost impossible to take a boat out but might be easy to do fishing there.

Kokanee9
06-25-2015, 05:17 AM
It would be possible to carry the boat down the secondary spillway on the north side of bearspaw dam and get back to the river that way

cc2015
06-26-2015, 09:27 AM
It would be possible to carry the boat down the secondary spillway on the north side of bearspaw dam and get back to the river that way

Seem you are right. We have to hand carry the boat. A aluminum boat might be to heavy to carry, we will use a inflation one.