PDA

View Full Version : Downriggers

slingshot
06-24-2015, 09:44 AM
Well I fell in love with the island earlier this year.so next year I want to take my boat up and rent a house or condo close to Port Mcneil. Now I need to mount a couple electric down riggers on my Lund Tyee 18 foot.any ideas would sure help on what model and size to put on and we're should I have them mounted.thanks in advance for your time

cube
06-24-2015, 04:42 PM
Well I fell in love with the island earlier this year.so next year I want to take my boat up and rent a house or condo close to Port Mcneil. Now I need to mount a couple electric down riggers on my Lund Tyee 18 foot.any ideas would sure help on what model and size to put on and we're should I have them mounted.thanks in advance for your time

I have mine mounted on the gunnel toward the rear about 2 feet ahead of the transom. If you already have Humminbird finders that can communicate with Cannon riggers I would probably go with Cannon other wise higher end Scotty or Walkers will also do the job. The Cannon are the most expensive though.
The one advantage of Scotty on the Island is they are made there so getting parts or service is quite easy there.

EZM
06-24-2015, 08:43 PM
I have a 1800 Lund Tyee as well ..... (same year as yours and purchased from the same place .... lol ) - the best place to mount it is on the back deck behind the folding seat. The base is mounted there and stays in place.

When I'm ready to use the rigger ...... I just mount my pedestal riser (it stays attached to my down rigger) to the bases and off you go. Takes 45 seconds each time and the cable will clear the gunnels no problem.

The back deck on your boat (under the carpet) will have a heavy aluminum skin over two layers of 5/8" marine plywood back there ..... so dry fit your gear .... mark the spot and use a metal cutting drill bit and go to work.

I used some long heavy stainless steel bolts and drop them through the holes, a stainless washer and a stainless lock nut.

You will be able to access this quite easily from the cavity under where the fold up seats are.

The mount will be solid.

I do not suggest mounting to your gunnels or using the Lund pro track (with the down rigger bracket). I tried that and it just wasn't as solid as I would have liked it to be.

EZM
06-24-2015, 08:45 PM
This is what not to use ...... as mentioned above ...... I never tried it but the one single mounting point on an extruded aluminum gunnel with a 10lb weight swinging around just didn't seem like a good idea.

Lots of guys on walleye central said it was fine ..... but I wasn't comfortable with it myself.

Mackinaw
06-25-2015, 12:08 AM
I have a 1800 Lund Tyee as well ..... (same year as yours and purchased from the same place .... lol ) - the best place to mount it is on the back deck behind the folding seat. The base is mounted there and stays in place.

When I'm ready to use the rigger ...... I just mount my pedestal riser (it stays attached to my down rigger) to the bases and off you go. Takes 45 seconds each time and the cable will clear the gunnels no problem.

The back deck on your boat (under the carpet) will have a heavy aluminum skin over two layers of 5/8" marine plywood back there ..... so dry fit your gear .... mark the spot and use a metal cutting drill bit and go to work.

I used some long heavy stainless steel bolts and drop them through the holes, a stainless washer and a stainless lock nut.

You will be able to access this quite easily from the cavity under where the fold up seats are.

The mount will be solid.

I do not suggest mounting to your gunnels or using the Lund pro track (with the down rigger bracket). I tried that and it just wasn't as solid as I would have liked it to be.

do you use the rod holder on your scotty or do you use one mounted on the pro track. i have a couple of 1117s mounted on my boat with double holders but find i like to use scotty Orca holders mounted on gunnel instead especially when running stackers. i have an older Crestliner so do not have a pro track but have put mounting bracket in convenient places.

mack

tikka250
06-25-2015, 12:42 AM
Like cube said on the island scotty is the downrigger of choice. If you ever have an issue most experienced fishermen in the area will have the knowledge to fix it. If all else fails there is a scotty repair center only 2 hours away in campbell river.

Mike_W
06-25-2015, 09:18 AM
Scotty is the only way to go
I run 1106 depthpower on my boat and they are great I had the 1101 depthpower on my old boat and found the 30" boom a tad short dependant on where you are mounting I would guess the 1106 with adjustable boom 36-60" is what you would want.

The highspeeds are nice but I really don't think they are nessesary unless you do a lot of fishing on the west coast and run 150-200 feet down McNeill and Hardy most of your summer fishing will be done above 80 feet.

Good luck,
Mike