PDA

View Full Version : Anchor for my 12 footer..few questions

thing
06-24-2015, 01:27 PM
What type of anchor do you recommend for a 12 ft alum boat?

Does it need to be tied on to the boat full time? Or can I attach it when I choose to use the anchor. Is attaching the rope to the boat with a high quality carabiner a good idea?

ghostguy6
06-24-2015, 01:39 PM
I think its a good idea to leave it attached full time so you don't accidentally throw the anchor overboard without trying it off.

Personally I use a climbing carabiner at both ends of the rope just in case i need an extra rope for something else like a tow or rescue.

cube
06-24-2015, 04:29 PM

Does it need to be tied on to the boat full time? Or can I attach it when I choose to use the anchor. Is attaching the rope to the boat with a high quality carabiner a good idea?

You do not have to have it tied in full time. I just attach it when I need it. Not sure if a full size climbing biner will fit through the size of chain on your rode. ie it usually goes anchor to chain to rope. I usually use brass or stainless steal connecting hardwear as it wears better that aluminium, which is found on most biners.

PerchBuster
06-24-2015, 07:34 PM

The Digger Anchor is really good but pricey. Easy to retrieve and to clean however. A 15 or 20 lb penetrating anchor should hold it real good as well. Use an Anchor Bend knot to attach the anchor to the mainline. For added precaution I always wrap the tag line to the mainline with 16 ga wire real good and tight for about 4 inches and then wrap that all up again with Gorilla tape or anything like that.you do not have to permanently tie it off to the boat and I wouldn't recommend attaching to the boat with a caribiner. Learn a couple proper knots like the Bowline knot and cleat knot. There are many more and already proven safe and effective.

EZM
06-24-2015, 08:28 PM
A 10lb anchor is twice the weight you will need if it's properly rigged and deployed. A 10lb is light enough that you don't need to go to a lighter, say 5lb, for any reason. 30 foot sailboats and cabin cruisers will anchor using a 15lb anchor ....

But, 10lbs, is light enough and gives you a little extra weight.

For a tinner - a real good all around anchor might be a navy, with about 6 feet of heavy chain to a shackle and some rope.

For best results tie off to your bow eye (as low as possible and toward the bow so you are cutting the waves.

Let out 3-4 times the rope versus the depth and you wont have any issues.

thing
06-24-2015, 09:52 PM
For best results tie off to your bow eye (as low as possible and toward the bow so you are cutting the waves.

EZM..I think I know what you mean but can you elaborate a little.

I appreciate the info guys, thank you.

PlatinumBarMan
06-24-2015, 10:12 PM
I have a 14' aluminum and use a 4 hooker. Light weight and digs in and holds no problem as long as you use a decent chain. I have it hooked on both ends with carabiners and have never had an issue. I just leave it hooked up at the front of the boat and toss er out when needed.http://images.tapatalk-cdn.com/15/06/24/77eae19b9575c446c3350b9ed00e2eff.jpg

huntsfurfish
06-24-2015, 10:59 PM
You do not have to have it tied in full time. I just attach it when I need it. Not sure if a full size climbing biner will fit through the size of chain on your rode. ie it usually goes anchor to chain to rope. I usually use brass or stainless steal connecting hardwear as it wears better that aluminium, which is found on most biners.

Agree with brass or SS.

A 10lb anchor is twice the weight you will need if it's properly rigged and deployed. A 10lb is light enough that you don't need to go to a lighter, say 5lb, for any reason. 30 foot sailboats and cabin cruisers will anchor using a 15lb anchor ....

But, 10lbs, is light enough and gives you a little extra weight.

For a tinner - a real good all around anchor might be a navy, with about 6 feet of heavy chain to a shackle and some rope.

Let out 3-4 times the rope versus the depth and you wont have any issues.

Agree, but 3 feet is more than adequate for chain length on a 12' boat. Especially if you go with a 10 lb. anchor.;):)