PDA

View Full Version : Spice up the Open Water Derby?

PlatinumBarMan
06-24-2015, 09:56 PM
This is my first year partaking in the AO open water derby and I'm wondering why so few members participate. If you're not in the derby can you explain why and what it would take to gain your interest? Perhaps some sweet prizes?

chriscosta
06-24-2015, 10:21 PM
I just wasnt ablecto do much fishing at the start and by the time i started catching fish this summer i felt like i had fallen too far behind to catch up or i would have been right in there

Chief16
06-24-2015, 10:22 PM
Fishing isn't a competition to me

FlyTheory
06-24-2015, 10:33 PM

Some people that view it as a competition, to the point where their identity is based on them catching fish (I'm not attacking any of my buddies or anyone on this forum). It's great catching large/many fish, and sometimes it can be discouraging to not catch anything, but there's more to the experience of fishing than big fish imo. Sometimes I bring a rod and forget to use it because there are so many other things to do, and this doesn't just apply to me.
Although a rebuttal to what I said is "I guess ur da kind of guy that don't catch many big fish."

pinelakeperch
06-24-2015, 11:25 PM
I keep forgetting to bring my ID card.

binnzer32
06-25-2015, 11:34 AM
Because: 1) rav yak runs it. 2) it's length only. ( which means jack sh**. 3) It's got suckers and goldeye. 4) don't fish enough. 5) lazy

Okotokian
06-25-2015, 11:57 AM

Ditto for me as well. Same for hunting competitions. Just not into body counts. Got no issue if others are.

RavYak
06-25-2015, 12:01 PM
I think there would have been a better turnout if a few of us hadn't had such quick starts. People just look and see that they are 200+ inches behind already and think it is a lost cause.

If there were prizes some more people might enter but it would be even more competitive and rules would have to be modified to suit such as measuring board and token required on all measurements. Adding prizes also becomes a tricky situation as SRD requires tournaments with prizes to be registered and SRD never responded to me when I inquired as to how that would work for a year long internet photo based tournament(probably because they haven't done that before and no one is willing to make the decision how to handle it...).

Because: 1) rav yak runs it. 2) it's length only. ( which means jack sh**. 3) It's got suckers and goldeye. 4) don't fish enough. 5) lazy

Lol thanks Mike.

You forgot 6) Scared to lose to Ravyak :sHa_sarcasticlol:

CanadianBadass
06-25-2015, 12:08 PM
#1 I don't enter the summer derby because I would rather take a quick pic in my hands and release the fish, I find with Ice fishing its easier to handle the fish in a safe manner !

#2 is because to many people complain about length pictures, And its just Drama that I want nothing to do with . Who cares what species are in it, Its not the AO Game Fish Derby, Its the AO derby, if a guy catches a sucker, is he not entitled to enter ? Or if a guy catches a goldeye ? What's wrong with that....

#3 I just wanna fish, I don't care who catches a bigger fish, or what size or anything, im just as happy to post a picture of a 2" goldeye or a 22" goldeye.... To many people think the biggest fish is the goal! Getting out with my kids, My friends, Enjoying the outdoors and having fun comes first, catching comes second....... !

#1 Reason why I would enter it, is because I know the effort RavYak puts in to updates and organizing things, its a huge effort and sadly overlooked by many members....

wags
06-25-2015, 12:25 PM
Keyboard quarterbacks is why for me.

I appreciate the rules and why they're there. I just don't necessarily agree with the reasoning behind all of them, and therefore, I'm a detriment to the survival of the fish species (in many folks eyes - except the Walleyes! :)). I don't wish to then post a picture, and face the onslaught of nonsense that people feel they're entitled to share.

So I just watch you all and enjoy the pics you share.

Cheers

RavYak
06-25-2015, 12:28 PM
The derby isn't meant solely to be a competition. It is also meant to give a guy a little incentive to try and learn how to catch new species and/or bigger fish. It is for this reason that I enjoyed the derby and decided to keep it going, I have talked to a few other members that also have enjoyed it for this reason which I am glad to hear. There have been moments of drama but some of those kinks are slowly worked out.

If I continue to host the derby in future seasons what I am hoping to have in place is AO involvement/recognition, some small prizes and a few minor rule changes. I think if I can do that then there will be some more involvement and it will be worthwhile to keep going.

wags
06-25-2015, 12:29 PM
Also, I fish out west a lot, and many of my catches are Bull Trout.

Okotokian
06-25-2015, 12:31 PM
Also, I fish out west a lot, and many of my catches are Bull Trout.

and where exactly do you fish??????? LOL

FreshAirGetter
06-25-2015, 12:35 PM

Hahaha I like this answer :sHa_shakeshout:

As for me, I'm sorry to report I'll be glad when it's over. I don't need extra motivation to go catch all the species - I try to do it every year regardless. I'm already competitive enough so don't need any more competition in my life. After this derby I will fish for the fun of it, enjoying each day whether I catch a big or small fish, lots or few.

I fished this one river recently and had a great day for numbers and size. I went back to a different stretch and it was a completely different story - fish that spooked crazy easy, and very low numbers besides that. In the end I think I only managed a couple trout that day, but to get those two were a big accomplishment, a lot more so than the previous trip because they were just so hard to get! It didn't matter about size or numbers that day, and was highly rewarding just figuring out how to catch the skittish beauties...for me, that's what fishing should be like, enjoy the great outdoors with just enough challenge to make it interesting, preferably not getting skunked ;-)

FreshAirGetter
06-25-2015, 12:53 PM
But I do appreciate Rav's work (but not his lunkers he gets)...and I thought I'd enter once to keep him on his toes and give him what he wants...a little competition :-)

Northern Yaker
06-25-2015, 12:55 PM

#1.

wags
06-25-2015, 01:02 PM
and where exactly do you fish??????? LOL

Clearwater and Red Deer - west of Glennifer. Clearwater mostly, my favorite river. Coming up? :)

RavYak
06-25-2015, 01:11 PM
#1.

Lol still bitter...

How is kayakwars going?

diamonddave
06-25-2015, 01:20 PM
Because I would feel compelled to have a bigger, more obnoxious, chest thumping sig line than RavYak, and I just aint goin there....:)

FreshAirGetter
06-25-2015, 01:36 PM
Because I would feel compelled to have a bigger, more obnoxious, chest thumping sig line than RavYak, and I just aint goin there....:)

Is that possible? ;-) Even if you did get more "trophies" Rav would probably make it fine print ;-) (just kidding Rav, please don't delete me!)

Northern Yaker
06-25-2015, 01:44 PM
Lol still bitter...

How is kayakwars going?

Not really, just thought it was some funny sh@$.
Honestly a guy could join anytime and be near the top in no time I know I've considered it. I think this derby plays a little better into someone's hands that is willing to shore fish and spend more time on a river than I am.

As for Kayak Wars, I think you know how that's going. Awesome to see 2 Albertans on top of the Canadian individual anglers standings and climbing nicely up the North American total inches.

RavYak
06-25-2015, 02:24 PM
Not really, just thought it was some funny sh@$.
Honestly a guy could join anytime and be near the top in no time I know I've considered it. I think this derby plays a little better into someone's hands that is willing to shore fish and spend more time on a river than I am.

As for Kayak Wars, I think you know how that's going. Awesome to see 2 Albertans on top of the Canadian individual anglers standings and climbing nicely up the North American total inches.

It doesn't take long to rack up species if you put the effort in. Most of the guys near the top of the derby got close to where they were in a month or so and there is still over 4 months left so lots of time for new people to join and catch up.

Goldeye, Mooneye and Sauger are actually the only river dependent species. All the rest can be caught in lakes. I actually plan on catching most of these species from my kayak. Golden Trout and maybe Lake Trout are the only ones I might not try to get from my kayak although lake trout are definitely possible.

As for kayakwars, I was just poking the bear while I can lol. I don't expect to stay ahead of you in personal standings but I do hope we can stay on top in the team standings.

Got your attention didn't it ;)

Northern Yaker
06-25-2015, 03:05 PM
Had a laker on the kayak on Cold a couple weeks ago, but it came off. Rock is worth while later in the year but a ton of small guys I found out last year.
I
Only ahead until I put my fish up from the last 2 weeks or so @ 400 points. Lol

Hydro1
06-26-2015, 01:53 AM
Keep forgetting my peice of paper.
Had one printed, dog chewed it up. Printed another, need to find it.
Heading to the rdr again tomorrow. WITH my paper thing.
I dont view it as a competition, just as an extra reason to fish species i dont normally target.

Chief16
06-26-2015, 08:23 AM

Why does length mean nothing to you? If a 9lb pike eats a 2lb fish shortly before you catch it, it's actual weight will be inflated by greater than 20%. However the length of the fish will not change and gives a more accurate represention.

CanadianBadass
06-26-2015, 08:56 AM
Why does length mean nothing to you? If a 9lb pike eats a 2lb fish shortly before you catch it, it's actual weight will be inflated by greater than 20%. However the length of the fish will not change and gives a more accurate represention.

X2

or pre/post spawn ! Girth measurments mean nothing ! to make it more accurate and fair, a length is way way way more accurate !

binnzer32
06-26-2015, 10:02 AM
You guy's are something else.. I have seen 40 inch pike weigh 14lbs to 20.5lbs all on girth. Lakers that are 45 inches weigh 22 pounds or over 33lbs. Walleye that are 28-30 inches weigh from 6lbs to over 10lbs. So realistically girth means tonnes in determining the weight of the fish and therefore is a far better representation then just length. If you disagree with that maybe you should go back and get your g.e.d.

CanadianBadass
06-26-2015, 10:14 AM
You guy's are something else.. I have seen 40 inch pike weigh 14lbs to 20.5lbs all on girth. Lakers that are 45 inches weigh 22 pounds or over 33lbs. Walleye that are 28-30 inches weigh from 6lbs to over 10lbs. So realistically girth means tonnes in determining the weight of the fish and therefore is a far better representation then just length. If you disagree with that maybe you should go back and get your g.e.d.

You try and find a C&R derby that counts girth and weight and I will agree with you........ However in reality , they take a pic with length, and a token , coin, or some type of marker for that C&R derby..... Never once have I seen a C&R derby measure girth, its always been length....

Now in Bass and other major tourneys they use weight as the fish are kept in live wells and weighed at the scale and released !

Rikkles Fisher
06-26-2015, 11:33 AM
You try and find a C&R derby that counts girth and weight and I will agree with you........ However in reality , they take a pic with length, and a token , coin, or some type of marker for that C&R derby..... Never once have I seen a C&R derby measure girth, its always been length....

Now in Bass and other major tourneys they use weight as the fish are kept in live wells and weighed at the scale and released !

I have to agree that it's all about the length, the same 40 inch pike could be 15 pounds at one time and go on a crazy eating spree all year and be 20-25 pounds, that's why it's all about the length lol so sorry Mike I disagree! Haha you don't fish enough different species to have a chance at the most inches in the derby, would be cool to see you enter to try and win biggest lake whitefish or walleye or just win one species lol

Rikkles Fisher
06-26-2015, 11:35 AM

These are terrible reasons Mike! Lol well rather then Ravyak runs it of course😉 jk

RavYak
06-26-2015, 11:59 AM
There are 2 ways to do a derby, length or weight.

Impossible to do weight without having a judge do the weighing. So unless Mike has a teleporter and wants to offer his services in weighing each catch we are stuck with length.

Pretty simple to understand really, not sure why this keeps getting brought up...

binnzer32
06-26-2015, 12:14 PM
I only get out about once a month. Don't have the time to even make a summer trip to lac la biche. Brutal yes I know. Having a 3 month old baby and working 6 days a week since April really slows a guy down. I will be fishing a little bit next weekend on Grist lake and possibly winifred if I can sneak away from the wife a few hours. .. other than that it's like 3 or 4 trips to battle. 1 trip to pigeon in fall to fill tags and one sturgeon trip in august or September.

I have to agree that it's all about the length, the same 40 inch pike could be 15 pounds at one time and go on a crazy eating spree all year and be 20-25 pounds, that's why it's all about the length lol so sorry Mike I disagree! Haha you don't fish enough different species to have a chance at the most inches in the derby, would be cool to see you enter to try and win biggest lake whitefish or walleye or just win one species lol

Chief16
06-28-2015, 07:24 PM

It's something else to throw insults at someone for having an opinion on a forum. All I was trying to express is that I believe that length is a more accurate representation of a fish size, rather than what it ate for lunch. I said nothing about girth in my post. Maybe you just couldn't formulate that from what I stated however, who needs the g.e.d. now?

Kim473
06-29-2015, 04:52 AM
Length, girth ? This question has been asked for decades. I asked my wife and she said length.

I don't enter as not enough species fished and not out enough. No prizes etc... Only been out twice this summer and that was shore fishing for wallies.

binnzer32
06-29-2015, 08:39 AM
I can send you a hurt feelings report if need be so you can sleep at night. .. All I was saying from personal experience that length means dick all for big fish. Look at the girth on the record rainbows from Difienbaker. I have caught 18lb rainbows just as long as the world record. But 40 pounds lighter almost. ..Ps. Went to school pal. Post secondary and a few designations as well... Anyways keep your stick on the ice and tight lines...

It's something else to throw insults at someone for having an opinion on a forum. All I was trying to express is that I believe that length is a more accurate representation of a fish size, rather than what it ate for lunch. I said nothing about girth in my post. Maybe you just couldn't formulate that from what I stated however, who needs the g.e.d. now?