PDA

View Full Version : Who Is Tagging Sturgeon on the NSR?

waterninja
06-26-2015, 10:45 PM
Just got back from a short evening downstream from Goldbar. A fellow a couple hundred yards downstream from me in the "bay" landed a sturgeon from shore. A fellow fishing from an anchored boat asked the lucky guy if he could tag it if it wasn't tagged already. Turns out the dino wasn't tagged so the fellow brought his boat to shore and tagged it. Haven't seen that before and I was wondering if anyone knows who is tagging sturgeon on the NSR?
Also saw what looked like a fish cop cruising the river in a seadoo.

chriscosta
06-26-2015, 11:26 PM
Not sure who it is but i seen him down there before

Adwittoutdoors
06-26-2015, 11:29 PM
Good !!!! It's about damn time the fish and feathers were around there. I've seen some pretty pathetic fish handling and guys using 2 or more rods. If the donkeys and you know who you are keep this up there will be a bait ban or no more sturgeon fishing altogether. By the way I've made numerous calls and have pictures to boot. I wish more people would grow a set and report these idiots !!!! As for broad casting locations , IMO that isn't helping either !!! People please use the correct gear !!!! No p-rigs and light gear. :angry3: My rant is over......for now.

bobalong
06-26-2015, 11:48 PM
Just got back from a short evening downstream from Goldbar. A fellow a couple hundred yards downstream from me in the "bay" landed a sturgeon from shore. A fellow fishing from an anchored boat asked the lucky guy if he could tag it if it wasn't tagged already. Turns out the dino wasn't tagged so the fellow brought his boat to shore and tagged it. Haven't seen that before and I was wondering if anyone knows who is tagging sturgeon on the NSR?
Also saw what looked like a fish cop cruising the river in a seadoo.

There used to be about 6-10 guys on the tagging crew. Daryll Waters from ESRD used to run it, maybe still does? I fished with one of the guys for a few years, about 10 years ago.

waterninja
06-27-2015, 12:14 AM
Good !!!! It's about damn time the fish and feathers were around there. I've seen some pretty pathetic fish handling and guys using 2 or more rods. If the donkeys and you know who you are keep this up there will be a bait ban or no more sturgeon fishing altogether. By the way I've made numerous calls and have pictures to boot. I wish more people would grow a set and report these idiots !!!! As for broad casting locations , IMO that isn't helping either !!! People please use the correct gear !!!! No p-rigs and light gear. :angry3: My rant is over......for now.
Not sure why your so upset. As for the fellow who caught the dino, he caught it on a pic rig. Landed the sturgeon and released it after it was tagged.
As for the CO, he could have been in Ft. Sask 60 min. before and devon 90 min later, depending on how many stops he makes. They don't sit in one location all day. I happened to see him by Goldbar.
You must really get upset if you see someone using a fly rod. I prefer heavier gear, but lots of anglers use lighter gear, and enjoy themselfs while using it. I see nothing wrong with that. Lots of other fish to catch in the NSR besides sturgeon.

lilsundance
06-27-2015, 12:31 AM

Unless they changed things recently those licensed to tag sturgeon can use two rods. I work with a guy who, in the past has tagged them. Not sure if he is doing that this year or not.

Mitchthefisher
06-27-2015, 01:09 AM
The guy that fishes that spot uses up to 4 rods and is not a tagger, he does not care what others think of him using extra rods and also does not handle the sturgeon with care, holding by gills, keeping out of water for extended periods etc.

Mitchthefisher
06-27-2015, 01:12 AM
Also if you are fishing a spot you know holds sturg you should not be using light gear/prigs i have seen way to many people break there line or prig fighting them for long periods because of light gear which is not needed.

Adwittoutdoors
06-27-2015, 06:32 AM
X10 ^^^^^^^^ Mitch !!! I say again if you're going for sturgeon or are in a sturgeon hole you should be using the right gear !!!! I thought that I'd not have to explain that simple concept !!! Also if your a tagger you need a flag up to identify yourself. Try getting edjumakated will you !! So I'll ask this question ; do you think it is a good idea to use light gear and play out a 50 year old fish that is endangered !?!?!?!? If you do you have zero respect as an angler and common sense. Jmho.
By the way I went to Muir yesterday and nailed a bunch of non endangered bows on a FLY ROD. Good times were had. I can't stand people who say I'm going for Dino's and I like to fight them for a half hour or more with my light gear. Fricking idiots they are.
P.S - good morning Waterninja :fighting0030: lol

Adwittoutdoors
06-27-2015, 06:45 AM
Just curious Waterninja but aren't you the one who thought it was a good idea to keep a pike as a pet last summer down by the out flow ? Hmmm ........ Need I say more ??!?!?!??! :snapoutofit::shark:

crownb
06-27-2015, 07:04 AM
X10 ^^^^^^^^ Mitch !!! I say again if you're going for sturgeon or are in a sturgeon hole you should be using the right gear !!!! I thought that I'd not have to explain that simple concept !!! Also if your a tagger you need a flag up to identify yourself. Try getting edjumakated will you !! So I'll ask this question ; do you think it is a good idea to use light gear and play out a 50 year old fish that is endangered !?!?!?!? If you do you have zero respect as an angler and common sense. Jmho.
By the way I went to Muir yesterday and nailed a bunch of non endangered bows on a FLY ROD. Good times were had. I can't stand people who say I'm going for Dino's and I like to fight them for a half hour or more with my light gear. Fricking idiots they are.
P.S - good morning Waterninja :fighting0030: lol

I don't fish sturgeon so how would I know if it was a so called sturgeon hole?

Soiler
06-27-2015, 07:49 AM
Not sure how it works in Alberta but when I've fished em on the B.C Fraser, the majority of guides that fish em carry an electric tag scanner for the 1's that have been tagged & a bag of tags for the 1's that haven't. It's on the onus of the tagger to send the info in. Don't think it's that big of a deal there to be tagging those fish.....

Adwittoutdoors
06-27-2015, 08:05 AM
Fair enough crownb but what I'm saying is I see , ask and listen to people telling me they're targeting sturgeon ( with p-rigs and light tackle ) that is what irks me. I believe that was already covered in the above comments. I may be wrong. Also if people or so called fishermen actually took the time to read the regs you'd see it is CLEARLY IN THE REGS !!!!!! Clear as mud eh !!!! Sheesh man alive. Then we all wonder and cry when our resources are gone !!!!!! Why do I get the feeling that people on this site claim to be outdoorsmen and stewards of the land and of the sport but really don't follow logic and the laws ? Do as I say not as I do mentality. By the way crownb , I'm fairly certain you knew what I was saying if not then .......:thinking-006: well have a nice day.

58thecat
06-27-2015, 08:14 AM
I don't fish sturgeon so how would I know if it was a so called sturgeon hole?

If you find one swimming on its back than you will see the hole indicating you are at the right spot...:sHa_sarcasticlol:

58thecat
06-27-2015, 08:19 AM
Fair enough crownb but what I'm saying is I see , ask and listen to people telling me they're targeting sturgeon ( with p-rigs and light tackle ) that is what irks me. I believe that was already covered in the above comments. I may be wrong. Also if people or so called fishermen actually took the time to read the regs you'd see it is CLEARLY IN THE REGS !!!!!! Clear as mud eh !!!! Sheesh man alive. Then we all wonder and cry when our resources are gone !!!!!! Why do I get the feeling that people on this site claim to be outdoorsmen and stewards of the land and of the sport but really don't follow logic and the laws ? Do as I say not as I do mentality. By the way crownb , I'm fairly certain you knew what I was saying if not then .......:thinking-006: well have a nice day.

I believe you should always use the right gear for the fish you intend to catch but hey you have no control what wants to hit your line...and like you mentioned don't play stupid if you get caught breaking the law and you get a ticket etc ohh I forgot some are not playing stupid they just are just simpletons genetically reproducing future spawn...hard to read the regs when you can't read, more pictures please!:)

waterninja
06-27-2015, 08:26 AM
The guy that fishes that spot uses up to 4 rods and is not a tagger, he does not care what others think of him using extra rods and also does not handle the sturgeon with care, holding by gills, keeping out of water for extended periods etc.
Not sure about the fellow who actually caught the fish, but the fellow who tagged it got to shore smartly, and was standing in thigh high water so dino could stay in the water while he tagged it. Looked like he did everything he could to reduce any stress for the sturgeon.

crownb
06-27-2015, 08:32 AM

I do know what your saying but I will not feel bad fishing the Nsr with my normal rig, are you saying that you always check the water body that you are on and always fish with the gear for the largest species in there. I would look pretty silly with a sturgeon pole fishing for yellow perch!!!:scared0018: all of these threads boil down to common sense and unfortunately it gone the way of the dodo bird.

Mitchthefisher
06-27-2015, 08:34 AM
Oh yeah the guys tagging know what they are doing i was just refering to the person adwittoutdoors was talking about.

Adwittoutdoors
06-27-2015, 08:45 AM
So crownb I'll ask you then if you were TARGETTING STURGEON what rig would you use then ? I guess I'll keep it simple for you. Sorry about that. :sHa_sarcasticlol: your response is .........

waterninja
06-27-2015, 08:59 AM
Good morning Adwitt. Could you please edjumicate us mere mortals where in the regs the special rules/guidelines are for proper/legal sturgeon setups? Did a quick look and dont see it on the table of contents on page 9. Page's 60 & 64 have a little blurb about it being illegal to keep a sturgeon. Guess I don't know how to read, or just missed it.
I believe in using the proper gear for whatever fish I'm targeting, and even use much heavier gear then I need on the NSR for the species I'm after just to be safe.
Please don't tell me that an angler should be fined because a large pike came by and broke of the 6lbs test he was using to target perch.
If I do happen to hook on to a sturgeon while fishing with a pic rig, you can bet I'll do my best to land it, but I'll give it a good scolding for hitting the rig. Pretty sure that wherever you fish on the NSR you might catch any of the species that live in it.

Rikkles Fisher
06-27-2015, 09:13 AM
So crownb I'll ask you then if you were TARGETTING STURGEON what rig would you use then ? I guess I'll keep it simple for you. Sorry about that. :sHa_sarcasticlol: your response is .........

I prefer to use an ultra light ice rod for perch with 2lb mono trilene and a little fly with a chunk of worm on it, that's my favorite sturgeon setup lol

CanadianBadass
06-27-2015, 09:14 AM
Oh yeah the guys tagging know what they are doing i was just refering to the person adwittoutdoors was talking about.

I have been tagging sturgeon, I know exactly who you guys are talking about that tagged this fish, He is a good guy, a long term tagger and knows what he is doing, Ive helped so many guys with sturgeon rigs, gear, how to's and what not, Mitch being one of them, Mitch took what I showed him and has applied it to his fishing and is Slaying sturgeon non stop now, and doing it safely for the fish ! Guys who wanna know how, need to be shown, there are guys out there who would rather be silent, I however know, if your in a sturgeon hole, your gonna hook one, we might as well show ya what to do, and what gear to use to reduce stress !

Cheers Mitch !congrats on the amazing season so far !

CanadianBadass
06-27-2015, 09:24 AM
And ive also seen this guy everyone is chatting about handling them bad, He drives a princecraft boat, his trailer is a princecraft ... His truck is a dark colored truck with a white GLOOMIS fish sticker on the back window... should I post pics of him on here ? I have about 5 pics of him handling sturgeon terribly and also using 4 rods at once !

Adwittoutdoors
06-27-2015, 09:25 AM
Look a little harder. My point which seems to be lost is IF and I'm not sure why I have to keep repeating my self is that IF you are are targeting Dino's then use the right gear is all. You make it sound as if it is ok to target sturgeon with p-rigs and light tackle. Some newbies come along and read your post and thinks it's ok to use crap gear for sturgeon , I think that's bad education on your part. I'm done explaining the same thing over and over. Common sense man !!! I've seen it happen daily on the river and the crap arse attitude is 'who cares it's just a fish'. That is why I get a little heated about this topic. They're an endangered species. Glad to hear you use the right gear WHEN TARGETING STURGEON.Now if we can get the rest of the retards on board things would be looking up for the sturgeon population. Have a nice day. :love0025:

CanadianBadass
06-27-2015, 09:30 AM
Look a little harder. My point which seems to be lost is IF and I'm not sure why I have to keep repeating my self is that IF you are are targeting Dino's then use the right gear is all. You make it sound as if it is ok to target sturgeon with p-rigs and light tackle. Some newbies come along and read your post and thinks it's ok to use crap gear for sturgeon , I think that's bad education on your part. I'm done explaining the same thing over and over. Common sense man !!! I've seen it happen daily on the river and the crap arse attitude is 'who cares it's just a fish'. That is why I get a little heated about this topic. They're an endangered species. Glad to hear you use the right gear WHEN TARGETING STURGEON.Now if we can get the rest of the retards on board things would be looking up for the sturgeon population. Have a nice day. :love0025:

If anyone ever wanted to know, Feel free to PM me and I will give as much education as I can to protect these fish, I don't tell people where to go, But I certainly will always help with gear and how to questions, Yes it is a species at risk, and yes we need to protect them, But guys using PRIGS for anything in the river , not just sturgeon are doing damage, I will be the first to admit it, I have used prigs, I even made my own because I thought they out fished Sturgeon rigs.... Boy was I sadly mistaken, And also regret ever using a prig !

Weedy1
06-27-2015, 09:38 AM
And ive also seen this guy everyone is chatting about handling them bad, He drives a princecraft boat, his trailer is a princecraft ... His truck is a dark colored truck with a white GLOOMIS fish sticker on the back window... should I post pics of him on here ? I have about 5 pics of him handling sturgeon terribly and also using 4 rods at once !

Send them to F&W and collect your reward.

Adwittoutdoors
06-27-2015, 09:40 AM
By the way Canadianbadass Mitch has a huge golden horse shoe in his ..... Lol. I'm out with Mitch all the time and he is definitely slaying them and yes I'm jealous. Lmao.

CanadianBadass
06-27-2015, 09:40 AM
Send them to F&W and collect your reward.

Im not in it for a reward, I have sent them a long time ago, and They know of the guy

Adwittoutdoors
06-27-2015, 09:41 AM
The fish and feathers are very aware of this individual. I'm not sure why he hasn't been caught yet but all in good time.

crownb
06-27-2015, 09:43 AM

Wow!!! Like the commercial says, somebody needs a snickers!!! Lol. I honestly couldn't tell you what to use, I have never targeted them and if I ever did I would pm somebody like canadianbadass, he sounds super helpful and is trying to help the fishery by in your words edjumacating the retards on this board. You however would just like to whine and moan but offer no helpful suggestions.:snapoutofit:

CanadianBadass
06-27-2015, 09:47 AM
By the way Canadianbadass Mitch has a huge golden horse shoe in his ..... Lol. I'm out with Mitch all the time and he is definitely slaying them and yes I'm jealous. Lmao.

My friends always felt the same man, 5 of us on bank and only I was catching them, Ive caught hundreds and hundreds now, I get more pleasure watching a friend bring one in, Chris Costa WAS a sturgeon virgin, I took him out recently and first one on the hook, I handed off to him ! its a great feeling knowing we can all just have fun and enjoy our time on the river fishing sturgeon while doing it safely ! If anyone on here knows me, they know I live to fish sturgeon, Im just sick of the all the drama surrounding them and has deterred me from fishing them , But I will tell you this, anyone who messages me asking for tips on gear or how to, have always got a novel on what to do and what not to do !

Don't worry man the tables will turn and Mitch will have those days where you slay and he catches suckers lol, With sturgeon, it has ZERO to do with skill, its all luck of the draw and rod hours.... Three guys sitting 5 feet apart , and one guy catches them all, its just luck, and rod hours lol lol

TIGHT LINES !

CanadianBadass
06-27-2015, 09:49 AM
Wow!!! Like the commercial says, somebody needs a snickers!!! Lol. I honestly couldn't tell you what to use, I have never targeted them and if I ever did I would pm somebody like canadianbadass, he sounds super helpful and is trying to help the fishery by in your words edjumacating the retards on this board. You however would just like to whine and moan but offer no helpful suggestions.:snapoutofit:

lol, we all were retards at one point, I had a huge hand 6 years ago, I had a buddy who knows this river better than anyone, he introduced me to them, and then had another fellow sturgeon tagger teach me a lot. So if I didn't get that help back then, I would be a retard using PRIGS still lol lol

super mario
06-27-2015, 09:52 AM

I Thing Mitch is Better Fishermen LOL

CanadianBadass
06-27-2015, 09:55 AM

Me too, I just didn't wanna say it ! lol lol Jokes ! :sEm_oops2:

Rikkles Fisher
06-27-2015, 09:59 AM
Me too, I just didn't wanna say it ! lol lol Jokes ! :sEm_oops2:

I tend to agree with Ashley mitch has horseshoes directly up the behind.

Mitchthefisher
06-27-2015, 11:03 AM
Ashley just ****s the bed on hook sets he should be on par with the numbers i have got lmao, ricky on the other hand is well very unlucky lol.

Rikkles Fisher
06-27-2015, 11:40 AM
Ashley just ****s the bed on hook sets he should be on par with the numbers i have got lmao, ricky on the other hand is well very unlucky lol.

That was my only bad night of fishing this year YOU are bad luck lol yeah I missed a few hooksets too.

Red Bullets
06-27-2015, 03:41 PM
As far as the sturgeon tagging program ...the individuals that are part of the program that has a mandate as to proper protocol and practices.

I'm not sure.... Is helping people rig up gear to catch the species they are mandated to monitor, tag, and help recover a conflict of interest? Or is this aspect part of the program.. to help educate people on catching a threatened species?

Any input CanadianBadAss?

Red Bullets
06-27-2015, 03:53 PM
So I'll ask this question ; do you think it is a good idea to use light gear and play out a 50 year old fish that is endangered !?!?!?!? If you do you have zero respect as an angler and common sense. Jmho.

There are people around the world who fish to capture world records based on line class. The IFGA keeps records. The records are lots of examples of anglers landing very large fish on very light light gear. This practice is not illegal in this country.

Also if people or so called fishermen actually took the time to read the regs you'd see it is CLEARLY IN THE REGS !!!!!! Clear as mud eh !!!! Sheesh man alive. Then we all wonder and cry when our resources are gone !!!!!! Why do I get the feeling that people on this site claim to be outdoorsmen and stewards of the land and of the sport but really don't follow logic and the laws ?

This quote is from the regulations:
"No Sturgeon Fishing Licences will be issued. Harvest opportunities have been suspended until stocks recover. Lake Sturgeon limit 0 for all waters in the province."

My question to you is: If the regulations state no sturgeon licences will be issued as part a recovery plan... why are you targeting sturgeon at all? Is it logically and an example of good stewardship to catch and stress fish in this recovery plan? Angling mortality of some sturgeon is imminent.

Common sense man !!! I've seen it happen daily on the river and the crap arse attitude is 'who cares it's just a fish'. That is why I get a little heated about this topic. They're an endangered species. Glad to hear you use the right gear WHEN TARGETING STURGEON.Now if we can get the rest of the retards on board things would be looking up for the sturgeon population. Have a nice day. :love0025:

You even admit that sturgeon are an endangered species. So why are you targeting a endangered species?

By the way, the sturgeon 's status is threatened according to ESRD, not endangered. Do you consider yourself to be part of this threat to the species?

TO THE STURGEON ANGLERS: Out of curiousity .... There is mention of several members catching one or more sturgeon this year. The taggers have been taggin fish too. And lots of complaints about using too light of tackle.

How many of the sturgeon caught this spring have had lightweight line and pickeral rigs stuck in there lips?

(I am not trying to sound off, be jerky, or be personal towards Adwitt but just had to comment and ask.)

waterninja
06-27-2015, 04:42 PM
All very good points Red.

Habfan
06-27-2015, 09:36 PM
I was about to say the same type of thing !! If you care so much about these fish you should just leave them alone.

Adwittoutdoors
06-27-2015, 09:49 PM
I'm totally amazed at where this thread has gone. Oh well I guess everyone has an opinion among other things. I'll go about my business targetting Dino's the right way and I'll keep on cringing when I see some retard using a p-rig. That's of coarse if they are targetting sturgeon and only sturgeon. :sign0161:

SKSniper
06-27-2015, 10:46 PM
I think the tagging program is proof that targeting sturgeon is not necessarily a bad thing based on the number of dinos caught with a tag. They obviously survived being caught an released but it is because they were caught properly by someone who cares enough to handle them with care and use proper gear, not by some guy with a p-rig and some $29.99 Walmart rod/reel combo. The problem I see is that WAY over 50% of dino fishers aren't educated or they are and just cant be bothered to do it properly.

IMO if people are going to fish the NSR or another body of water with a sturg population they should just avoid p-rigs in general, however this is never going to happen so sturgeon mortality will always be an issue. Out of the 20+/- people I have seen targeting sturg this year, only 6 or 7 had proper gear, the rest were all using rods way too light and flimsy and p-rigs. I even heard one ding-dong say "man if I hook one I will be here all night hahahaha" :sign0161:

Rant over :)

Adwittoutdoors
06-28-2015, 10:00 AM
It's frustrating no doubt to see people like that on the river. It's attitude and education for sure. As I've said previously it's the p-rig club that targets sturgeon with sub par gear that grinds my gears. Oh well you can't fix some kinds of stupid. Lol. Hey Waterninja I just wanted to respond to the reg question. You're right it isn't in the regs. I found that quote in mywildalberta.com. I'm part of the mere mortal club now. I knew I read it somewhere. Lol. Till then.....
Cheers and tight lines.
......Adwittoutdoors......

waterninja
06-28-2015, 10:57 AM
In ADW's defence, it does probably mention smethin, somewhere in the regs. about using proper gear for the type of fishing your doing.
At the same time, I think I'll take the moral high ground on this debate. If I ever catch a Sturgeon on my pic rig it will be an "accidental catch". Those who use special gear and presentations to specifically target Sturgeon should just stop and leave them in peace. lol
I know of one badass fisherman who is an expert at catching sturgeon feels it is pointless to post about any catches anymore because of all the drama.

Weedy1
06-28-2015, 02:07 PM
In ADW's defence, it does probably mention smethin, somewhere in the regs. about using proper gear for the type of fishing your doing.

There is a blurb about THE ALBERTA ANGLING ETHIC on Page 10. It says:

Use sporting methods, gear (lures, line type and
amount of technology) appropriate to the type
of fishing and the size of fish desired.

http://www.albertaregulations.ca/2015-Alberta-Fishing-Regs.pdf

Kind of a no brainer......

Adwittoutdoors
06-28-2015, 03:20 PM
I don't post pics or announce sturgeon holes. Waterninja you actually did both. Lol. That's not helping them to be in "peace" and "left alone" now is it ??? I still stand by my opinion on p-rigs. That does way more harm than good. So I guess we can call this a "moral high ground" draw eh. Lmao. You could start a poll on which is better p-rigs vs proper handling and proper gear to use for targeting certain fish. :argue2::sHa_sarcasticlol: Well this is wasted time I could of better used for fishing. :sHa_sarcasticlol: Till then...........
.......Adwittoutdoors..........

Adwittoutdoors
06-28-2015, 03:21 PM
Thanks for the post Weedy. I missed that. :)

waterninja
06-28-2015, 07:09 PM
I don't post pics or announce sturgeon holes. Waterninja you actually did both. Lol. That's not helping them to be in "peace" and "left alone" now is it ??? I still stand by my opinion on p-rigs. That does way more harm than good. So I guess we can call this a "moral high ground" draw eh. Lmao. You could start a poll on which is better p-rigs vs proper handling and proper gear to use for targeting certain fish. :argue2::sHa_sarcasticlol: Well this is wasted time I could of better used for fishing. :sHa_sarcasticlol: Till then...........
.......Adwittoutdoors..........
Keep digging Adwitt. If you want to waste some more time please direct us to the pic. I posted on this thread.

binnzer32
06-29-2015, 08:51 AM
Some of the guys tagging know what they are doing. ...NOT ALL.

binnzer32
06-29-2015, 08:57 AM
Me too...

chriscosta
06-29-2015, 10:34 AM
My friends always felt the same man, 5 of us on bank and only I was catching them, Ive caught hundreds and hundreds now, I get more pleasure watching a friend bring one in, Chris Costa WAS a sturgeon virgin, I took him out recently and first one on the hook, I handed off to him ! its a great feeling knowing we can all just have fun and enjoy our time on the river fishing sturgeon while doing it safely ! If anyone on here knows me, they know I live to fish sturgeon, Im just sick of the all the drama surrounding them and has deterred me from fishing them , But I will tell you this, anyone who messages me asking for tips on gear or how to, have always got a novel on what to do and what not to do !

Don't worry man the tables will turn and Mitch will have those days where you slay and he catches suckers lol, With sturgeon, it has ZERO to do with skill, its all luck of the draw and rod hours.... Three guys sitting 5 feet apart , and one guy catches them all, its just luck, and rod hours lol lol

TIGHT LINES ! i only have a few words canadian bad ass hooked me up on a sturgeon for my birthday and by far was the best gift i got..ill remember it for years and in all honesty if people were to fish for sturgeon the way bj does there would be nothing to worry about the fish came in quick hook came out like butter no harm done ...went oit a few weeks later and saw a guy land a 50 plus inch sturgeon on a lighter than recomended rod with the right setup and same outcome took about ten min to get it to shore but the fish was released without a single problem and it took right off...my siggestion is if your gonna fish the nsr use a sturgeon rig cause ill tell ya all the other fish bite it too

binnzer32
06-29-2015, 10:47 AM
Congrats.

i only have a few words canadian bad ass hooked me up on a sturgeon for my birthday and by far was the best gift i got..ill remember it for years and in all honesty if people were to fish for sturgeon the way bj does there would be nothing to worry about the fish came in quick hook came out like butter no harm done ...went oit a few weeks later and saw a guy land a 50 plus inch sturgeon on a lighter than recomended rod with the right setup and same outcome took about ten min to get it to shore but the fish was released without a single problem and it took right off...my siggestion is if your gonna fish the nsr use a sturgeon rig cause ill tell ya all the other fish bite it too

wags
06-29-2015, 10:53 AM

We all aspire to be as smart and awesome as you are, but some folks are just special and rise above the rest of us mere morons.

Cheers

Adwittoutdoors
06-29-2015, 11:04 AM
Thanks I appreciate it ^^^^^^^:love0025:

wags
06-29-2015, 11:18 AM
Thanks I appreciate it ^^^^^^^:love0025:

Oh no, thank you!

Adwittoutdoors
06-29-2015, 11:42 AM
I guess in hindsight I shouldn't of been rude with certain comments like "retards" but it's equally frustrating to see how some fishermen just do not care about safe practices. I still stand behind my point that IF you target sturgeon you should be using heavy gear. That is what this discussion / rant is truly about. Secondly it is also about ethics. The ethics debate could go on for days. I think it's simple. Give the fish the best chance of survival when it is caught. I personally think p-rigs are dangerous to all fish. There are better options out there to use. I will continue to encourage people I see using p-rigs and light tackle to change how they fish. That's just my 2 cents on a touchy subject. Sorry if I've offended some of you. May those that use p-rigs never have a break off. Lol.

Adwittoutdoors
06-29-2015, 11:45 AM
You're welcome Wags. I strive to be a better fishermen and person every day. Ill try not to let your compliments go to my head. :sHa_sarcasticlol:

Mitchthefisher
06-29-2015, 11:51 AM
You're welcome Wags. I strive to be a better fishermen and person every day. Ill try not to let your compliments go to my head. :sHa_sarcasticlol:

Work on the better fisherman part first lol. :sHa_sarcasticlol::fighting0074::scared0018:

Adwittoutdoors
06-29-2015, 11:55 AM
That's a zinger for sure. We know the real truth though don't we Mitch. Hard water season is coming and then we shall see again. :fighting0030::sHa_sarcasticlol: let us not discuss my Dino performance though. :mad0030::angry3::scared0018:

Adwittoutdoors
06-29-2015, 05:26 PM
Thanks Red. It's appreciated :sHa_shakeshout:

Adwittoutdoors
06-29-2015, 05:28 PM
Hahahahahaha that's a gooder Binnzer. You got half that right , the old part. :sHa_sarcasticlol:

CanadianBadass
06-30-2015, 09:05 AM
Some of the guys tagging know what they are doing. ...NOT ALL.

Im glad im part of the guys that DO handle sturgeon properly.... Have you heard of others , or is it something you've seen personally ? or just a rumor you heard ?

Red Bullets
06-30-2015, 03:46 PM
Just got back from a short evening downstream from Goldbar. A fellow a couple hundred yards downstream from me in the "bay" landed a sturgeon from shore. A fellow fishing from an anchored boat asked the lucky guy if he could tag it if it wasn't tagged already. Turns out the dino wasn't tagged so the fellow brought his boat to shore and tagged it. Haven't seen that before and I was wondering if anyone knows who is tagging sturgeon on the NSR? Also saw what looked like a fish cop cruising the river in a seadoo.

You might want to read this document. It mentions who is in the recovery program and who tags fish.

Jeff Krukowski is the Sturgeon tagger in the program for the NSR.

http://aep.alberta.ca/fish-wildlife/species-at-risk/species-at-risk-publications-web-resources/fish/documents/SAR-LakeSturgeon-RecoveryPlan-A-Oct2012.pdf

sturgeonhound
06-30-2015, 10:08 PM
You might want to read this document. It mentions who is in the recovery program and who tags fish.

Jeff Krukowski is the Sturgeon tagger in the program for the NSR.

http://aep.alberta.ca/fish-wildlife/species-at-risk/species-at-risk-publications-web-resources/fish/documents/SAR-LakeSturgeon-RecoveryPlan-A-Oct2012.pdf

Well, since someone named me, I'll try and get this thread back on track with some info about sturgeon tagging on the NSR and the sturgeon recovery plan for Alberta. The nsr tagging program is a separate entity from the recovery team/recovery plan and its purpose.
The tagging program on the nsr has around 18 anglers in it and we are all issued an FRL (Fish Research License) from SRD. The license provides us with guidelines on gear restrictions, fish handling, and other best practices. This license along with some training allows the nsr taggers to handle sturgeon for the purposes of gathering data for the tagging program. This data is used to generate population models for the nsr. These population models are one of the deliverables of the Sturgeon recovery plan.
The sturgeon recovery plan (link here: http://aep.alberta.ca/fish-wildlife/species-at-risk/species-at-risk-publications-web-resources/fish/documents/SAR-LakeSturgeon-RecoveryPlan-A-Oct2012.pdf) is a plan that is developed when a species is listed on the "species at risk" list in Canada. Basically the "Sturgeon recovery Plan" is just that....a plan to allow the sturgeon to recover to historical population levels. The plan is intended to provide the framework to allow the species that is at risk to be able to recover. If you read through the entire document it addresses a multitude of threats that will/can impact the species ability to recover. In the plan, there are also a list of actions that the team recommends take place to allow the sturgeon to recover. One of the many actions that the plan listed was to provide sturgeon handling practices and a length/weight chart for anglers. (link: http://mywildalberta.com/fishing/SafetyProcedures/FishHandling/SturgeonHandlingPractices.aspx)

If you have any other questions about either the NSR tagging program or the Sturgeon Recovery Plan, shoot me a PM.

Cheers,
Sturgeonhound AKA Jeff Krukowski

Red Bullets
07-01-2015, 12:03 AM
Well, since someone named me, I'll try and get this thread back on track with some info about sturgeon tagging on the NSR and the sturgeon recovery plan for Alberta. The nsr tagging program is a separate entity from the recovery team/recovery plan and its purpose.
The tagging program on the nsr has around 18 anglers in it and we are all issued an FRL (Fish Research License) from SRD. The license provides us with guidelines on gear restrictions, fish handling, and other best practices. This license along with some training allows the nsr taggers to handle sturgeon for the purposes of gathering data for the tagging program. This data is used to generate population models for the nsr. These population models are one of the deliverables of the Sturgeon recovery plan.
The sturgeon recovery plan (link here: http://aep.alberta.ca/fish-wildlife/species-at-risk/species-at-risk-publications-web-resources/fish/documents/SAR-LakeSturgeon-RecoveryPlan-A-Oct2012.pdf) is a plan that is developed when a species is listed on the "species at risk" list in Canada. Basically the "Sturgeon recovery Plan" is just that....a plan to allow the sturgeon to recover to historical population levels. The plan is intended to provide the framework to allow the species that is at risk to be able to recover. If you read through the entire document it addresses a multitude of threats that will/can impact the species ability to recover. In the plan, there are also a list of actions that the team recommends take place to allow the sturgeon to recover. One of the many actions that the plan listed was to provide sturgeon handling practices and a length/weight chart for anglers. (link: http://mywildalberta.com/fishing/SafetyProcedures/FishHandling/SturgeonHandlingPractices.aspx)

If you have any other questions about either the NSR tagging program or the Sturgeon Recovery Plan, shoot me a PM.

Cheers,
Sturgeonhound AKA Jeff Krukowski

Hey Sturgeonhound, hope you don't mind that I mentioned your name from the recovery plan document. I like to refer to gov't. publications for information.

Mitchthefisher
07-01-2015, 05:43 AM
Sksniper handles sturgeon just as good as any tagger i have met and i doubt a 5 minute fight on a 60inch fish is going to stress it out enough to kill it...

SKSniper
07-01-2015, 06:48 AM
Strange how this thread has digressed from asking who tags Sturgeon to cheap shots from the peanut gallery.
I can guarantee 100% that SK has stressed out or killed more sturgeon then I have.
Seems like a lot of people think that you shouldn't be allowed to fish with a pic rig in the river. Thats fine, don't fish that way if you don't want to. Personally I find it enjoyable and relaxing, but will chuck lures or jigs also, just to change things up.
I have also seen and heard of a lot of Sturgeon being caught on a pic rig, and I feel that the gear I'm using would be sufficient to handle one from the NSR.

Can you explain why you absolutley refuse to use a sturg rig and insist on p rigs? Is there sonething a p rig does that a sturg rig will not? I just dont understand why you refuse to listen/be educated. The govt safe handling website says "do not usr p-rigs", just because other people have in the past doesnt make them appropriate or the right choice. You have the potential to catch a 6' fish of a lifetime and you insist on using gear way too light to ever land one without causing immense harm to the sturg.

ETOWNCANUCK
07-01-2015, 07:21 AM
I think waterninja is saying that he prefers using Prigs to fish the river
I don't think he is saying he's using them to target the fish
I think he's saying that should one grab his gear he uses he will do his best not to stress the fish out.

I can respect the guys who want these fish handled as best as possible.

Reality is that several people fish the river with different setups not necessarily targeting this fish and manage to hook one.

Most have never seen or caught one before but will do their best when handling them.

In the end that is all we can hope for.

We all want to see proper handling of fish
But sometimes the fish have other ideas

Talking moose
07-01-2015, 07:55 AM
Was in Saskatchewan last week and talked to many anglers from the forks( east of Prince Albert where the nsr and ssr meet) all the way down to codette lake( not to far before Tobin lake. Not many used a sturgeon rig, not a lot used a pickerel rig either. There choice was a jack fish rig. (Beefier than a pic rig with wire all the way to the hook. My only concern was if that wire was doing any damage to the fish....(cutting into the fish)

Talking moose
07-01-2015, 07:55 AM
http://images.tapatalk-cdn.com/15/07/01/33ca615f3fea93d0a4737667ee1e97c6.jpg

Mitchthefisher
07-01-2015, 08:05 AM
Problem with rigs like that is when you snag the rig it is just sitting on the bottom attached to a weight so if a fish picks it up its dragging it around which can harm and kill it, this goes for all species not just sturgeon were as a slider rig the weight should slip off. Also i get what waterninja is saying and that he is not "targetting sturgeon" so why should he use something other than a prig but if you see a boat with the orange flag and 2 rods its pretty obvious that its a sturgeon hole and you should maybe reconsider the setup you are using.

Talking moose
07-01-2015, 08:28 AM
Problem with rigs like that is when you snag the rig it is just sitting on the bottom attached to a weight so if a fish picks it up its dragging it around which can harm and kill it, this goes for all species not just sturgeon were as a slider rig the weight should slip off. Also i get what waterninja is saying and that he is not "targetting sturgeon" so why should he use something other than a prig but if you see a boat with the orange flag and 2 rods its pretty obvious that its a sturgeon hole and you should maybe reconsider the setup you are using.

You can add a 12 inch peice of 6 lb mono to the sinker if you like..... 99% of the time it's the sinker that gets wedged between 2 rocks.... Same idea as a sturgeon rig....

Mitchthefisher
07-01-2015, 08:32 AM
You can add a 12 inch peice of 6 lb mono to the sinker if you like..... 99% of the time it's the sinker that gets wedged between 2 rocks.... Same idea as a sturgeon rig....
Yea thats a good idea! but i dont think many people do that from what i have seen this year.

Talking moose
07-01-2015, 08:43 AM
Yea thats a good idea! but i dont think many people do that from what i have seen this year.

True. If only they took the extra 30 seconds to do this, there would only be weights in the river instead of weights with rigs attached.

Mitchthefisher
07-01-2015, 08:45 AM
True. If only the took the extra 30 seconds to do this, there would only be weights in the river instead of weights with rigs attached.
Yup problem solved.

The Spruce
07-01-2015, 09:04 AM
Are there very many fisherman tagging in the Eastern NSR? Only reason I ask, is I have never caught a tagged sturgeon to date. I don't fish for them a lot, but I do land 30 or so a year. Maybe the areas I fish have sturgeon that only migrate in from the East or something, but that doesn't really make sense.

Spruce

ETOWNCANUCK
07-01-2015, 09:11 AM
You want to know the biggest problem with these rigs?

Places sell them.
They are easy to use right out of the package.

Sure the risk of mortality is there but it's what people know about.

Not everyone knows to use different terminal tackle or for that matter how to rig it up.

If you want this type of use to stop then things need to change.

The availability of Prigs
The use of Prigs in bodies of water
The education of the use of the Prigs

That all has to change.

As forum members we can sit here all day and argue these points until we smash our tablets in anger

But bottom line
As long as they are available people will still use them

And if the province doesn't do enough to change it
There is little that can be done about it.

Mitchthefisher
07-01-2015, 09:29 AM
You want to know the biggest problem with these rigs?

Places sell them.
They are easy to use right out of the package.

Sure the risk of mortality is there but it's what people know about.

Not everyone knows to use different terminal tackle or for that matter how to rig it up.

If you want this type of use to stop then things need to change.

The availability of Prigs
The use of Prigs in bodies of water
The education of the use of the Prigs

That all has to change.

As forum members we can sit here all day and argue these points until we smash our tablets in anger

But bottom line
As long as they are available people will still use them

And if the province doesn't do enough to change it
There is little that can be done about it.
X2 we should be able to discuss a topic without name calling etc.

waterninja
07-01-2015, 09:31 AM
Now that is the best suggestion on 3 pages of posts, Talking M. I already do that when I use a 3 way swivel on some river trips, but it never occured to me to add it to a pic rig, probably because it is too obvious. Going to try that out next time I go to river.
I allready modify my rigs, but this might save some of them the odd time I get snagged.

chriscosta
07-01-2015, 11:16 AM
Are there very many fisherman tagging in the Eastern NSR? Only reason I ask, is I have never caught a tagged sturgeon to date. I don't fish for them a lot, but I do land 30 or so a year. Maybe the areas I fish have sturgeon that only migrate in from the East or something, but that doesn't really make sense.

Spruce

I dont think youd see the tag its a tiny microchip in the skin

binnzer32
07-01-2015, 11:29 AM
I am sure you know. .. I have been lucky and priveledged to participate and help in tagging. Totally gave me a new respect for the Dinos. They are a unreal fish.

Im glad im part of the guys that DO handle sturgeon properly.... Have you heard of others , or is it something you've seen personally ? or just a rumor you heard ?