PDA

View Full Version : Skunked again on NSR.

ETOWNCANUCK
06-28-2015, 09:24 AM
Oh she can be a finicky one.
Spent the day exploring the river NE of the city. After deciding finally on a bridge, we started trying.
One pike for one buddy 5 minutes in gave us hope.
Then nothing.
Tying jigs while sweating proved to be too much of a chore. Couldn't get the knots tied.
Switched to spoons while another buddy threw minnows.
Still nothing.
5 hours later and more sweat to fill a truck bed, fish number two for buddy number one.
But a wee pike.
I got Rapalas bigger than that, but I'd settle for one that size.
As the sun faded, fished danced all around us but couldn't get any to commit.
And No the friend with the minnows saw nothing either.
The NSR was beautiful, nice slow moving water, but another failed excursion.

Better luck next time???

Adwittoutdoors
06-28-2015, 10:19 AM
Lol that was me yesterday too !!! Just 1 small pike was all. Nice day to be in the shade , which I was. I guess we can't have say a 6+ multiple day of fishing every day. lol. I know one guy will say he will though Hahahahahaha ( inside joke ) :thinking-006: :sHa_sarcasticlol:

waterninja
06-28-2015, 10:48 AM
I managed a nice pike about 30" last night. Would have entered it in derby, but just landing it got it pretty muddy, and I didn't want to go to the time and trouble of washing it and taking proper pic. Gave it a quick rinse and released. Too hot for wearing rubber boots.
I love that there are very few mosquitoes this year. Made for a very enjoyable evening.

ETOWNCANUCK
06-29-2015, 02:38 AM
But I always get skunked.

pipco
06-29-2015, 08:10 AM
Oh she can be a finicky one.
Spent the day exploring the river NE of the city. After deciding finally on a bridge, we started trying.
One pike for one buddy 5 minutes in gave us hope.
Then nothing.
Tying jigs while sweating proved to be too much of a chore. Couldn't get the knots tied.
Switched to spoons while another buddy threw minnows.
Still nothing.
5 hours later and more sweat to fill a truck bed, fish number two for buddy number one.
But a wee pike.
I got Rapalas bigger than that, but I'd settle for one that size.
As the sun faded, fished danced all around us but couldn't get any to commit.
And No the friend with the minnows saw nothing either.
The NSR was beautiful, nice slow moving water, but another failed excursion.

Better luck next time???

If you've got fish surfacing around you they are probably goldeye or mooneye. Maybe try a few flies?

Many years ago ( 35-40) while river fishing for walleye in the evening we would catch goldeye on bucktail jigs.