PDA

View Full Version : bakers narrow

mongo
06-28-2015, 10:08 AM
Back from a five day trip that landed us some huge walleye , four 30" + walleye the largest being 32" .on the third day weather changed and all the fish shut off for the rest of the trip .got a few lakers largest around the 9 pound range. athapapuskow lake is huge with so many islands it would take for ever to fish ,thank god we hired our john guild for a day pointed us in the right direction.

Nova
06-28-2015, 10:41 AM
Back from a five day trip that landed us some huge walleye , four 30" + walleye the largest being 32" .on the third day weather changed and all the fish shut off for the rest of the trip .got a few lakers largest around the 9 pound range. athapapuskow lake is huge with so many islands it would take for ever to fish ,thank god we hired our john guild for a day pointed us in the right direction.

Glad to hear the trip went well. How much did the guide cost? After fishing there last year I knew that would be a very worthy investment.

I just noticed your response regarding smallmouth on the initial thread where you were looking for info. Long and short, my trip was everywhere from awesome to awful. The weather hampered fishing and kept us off the big water, but when we did get out it was pretty good. First day we fished Barbe and boated in the area of 30 trout, 3 or 4 Brook and the rest were Rainbow. 3 masters caught. Lots lost bringing them in, lots of brief hookups. Long trolling flies was deadly. Day 2 we fished Rocky. Boated 53. 16 walleye, a few tiny ones, mostly eaters and a couple over 20". I also caught 8 smallmouth, mostly mid-sized but also one around the 16.5" mark. The balance were pike, mostly eater size in that 2-3 pound range. Wanted to hit Two Loon in the worst way but the weather was not cooperating. Day 3 we fished Loucks. Caught 20 walleye and 10 pike in about 4 hours. Pike were on the smaller side, the walleye were mostly decent except for 2 tiny ones. Could have taken our limit easily. Day 4 started out slow on Iskwasum and ended abruptly when I hit a rock. Put a small hole in the keel of the boat and wrecked the gearcase. $7k damage, hopefully I have the beat back from repair next week because I want to go largemouth fishing.

mongo
06-28-2015, 11:05 AM
we didn't stray from the main lake this year .Guide was 300 for full day .he took us in his boat and three followed with a trailer boat . should have taken the pontoon as we spent quit a bit of the time jigging sucker bellies for lakers. ****ty to hear about your boat we were a little concerned to say the least about the rock everywhere.

Nova
06-28-2015, 11:50 AM
Athapap is pretty mild compared to most of the grass river. The majority of the hazards are at least marked on Athapap, and as long as the wind isn't crazy you can see the markers. And water clarity helps a lot as well. Iskwasum's water is really cloudy right now. We couldn't even see the rocks we hit immediately after despite only being about 20' away.