PDA

View Full Version : Manatoken lake

Kurt505
06-30-2015, 11:36 AM
Is there still fish in it, and can I launch a 17' Lund in it?

Thanks in advance for any tips.

Talking moose
06-30-2015, 11:41 AM
How you make out at wolf? Decent?

Levy
06-30-2015, 11:53 AM
There are still plenty of stunted perch, white suckers and the occasional burbot. If you have 4 x 4 you will be fine. We don't usually catch a lot of keeper perch so I prefer to go elsewhere, but if you have kids it may provide some good entertainment. Manatokan needs some pike to thin out the perch population, they have almost no predators with the exception of the Burbot that showed up in the last few years and they are a rare catch.

Kurt505
06-30-2015, 11:54 AM
How you make out at wolf? Decent?

Still here and the fishing is great!

We are catching walleye steady from 1-6lbs, and my son caught a 5lb pike we had for supper last night. Haven't bothered to keep any walleye yet, we'll wait until tomorrow just before we leave to tag some.

We went out to Cold lake on Sunday and had an awesome day on the lake, and the beach. My oldest son caught his first, second, third, fourth, and fifth lakers and we ran into Willowtrail and caught a glimpse of his 11lb'der and his super sun burn while we were there too.

Today my son wants to try for perch so it's off to manatoken.

Kurt505
06-30-2015, 11:59 AM
There are still plenty of stunted perch, white suckers and the occasional burbot. If you have 4 x 4 you will be fine. We don't usually catch a lot of keeper perch so I prefer to go elsewhere, but if you have kids it may provide some good entertainment. Manatokan needs some pike to thin out the perch population, they have almost no predators with the exception of the Burbot that showed up in the last few years and they are a rare catch.

Ya we have a 4x4, the kids want to catch perch, so if we catch them, they'll be happy. A couple 10-12inchers would be nice though.

Talking moose
06-30-2015, 12:03 PM
Right on!

338Bluff
06-30-2015, 10:05 PM
I've caught a few small pike in there. We got into a few 10 to 11 inch perch last August, but that would be the exception, not the rule.

Kurt505
07-01-2015, 12:42 AM
We went out, had a blast. Caught a pile of perch, some nice pike (3 or 4 over 63 but never kept any), even got to meet IR Mike in person which was great. Biggest perch was around 11 inches, probably got around 10 of them in the 10-11 inch range, and a bunch (like 30+) in the 6-9" range. The boys, and the wife had fun so it was another great day on the water.

Levy
07-01-2015, 01:24 AM
Good to hear you did well! Am i understanding you correct? You caught more than one pike in manatokan? I haven't seen one caught in there since I was a kid in the early 90's. Its like they just showed up there this spring. I have seen pictures of pike from there this spring but up until recently it was only the occasional rumour i heard and often questioned as i did fish the lake very often until the last couple years.

By IR Mike do you mean the slower fellow who walks the road frequently? Our family farm is the one with the Silo so I know him well if thats who you're referring to.

Kurt505
07-01-2015, 01:46 AM
We landed 4 pike, and lost a few. The one my son caught was 7-8lbs for sure, the wife's was around 4, mine were around 1 and 3 pounds. I lost a big one, never saw him but it had a good pull to it. It took us about 2hrs to find the spot, but once we did it was non stop action.

IR Mike is a fellow AO member and most likely not the fella you're thinking of, he lives south of the store. I do think I met the fella you speak of though, older gent riding a bike that looks like about the same age.

IR_mike
07-01-2015, 04:26 AM
I do think I met the fella you speak of though, older gent riding a bike that looks like about the same age.

I look 70 years old?

Talking moose
07-01-2015, 04:58 AM
Lol.... IR Mike is taking a beating!! Haha

Kurt505
07-01-2015, 10:01 AM
Lol, no Mike 40's, they guy that rode up on his bike while we were talking is the guy I'm referring to.

IR_mike
07-01-2015, 11:49 PM
It was awesome meeting you and your family kurt.....great bunch of people. :)

Can't get over how mature, well spoken and perceptive the older boy is and how much energy the lil guy has......put him on a treadmill and run a welding shop in the back yard.

You and the missus did a Good job!!

You guys missed some awesome burgers at the picnic though.

Levy
07-02-2015, 10:32 AM
I get yah now. I almost never see people who live on manatokan when I fish it (Canada being the exception). Mike K is in his sixties or seventies, walks down the road every day wearing a bright orange vest is not an AO forum member. I kind of just associate mike K with Manatokan because I see him every other time I'm out

Kurt505
07-03-2015, 11:17 AM
Thanks for the kind words Mike, once my boy (and myself) get talking about hunting and fishing the conversation gets pretty long winded. Luckily my wife is used to it and we don't get into much trouble for it.

Glad to hear you had a good time on Canada day, the family says we can go back to manatoken to fish for perch anytime so maybe I'll call ahead of time to see if you want to spend a couple hours on the lake with us next time.