PDA

View Full Version : Trout fishing tips/lures

ETOWNCANUCK
07-01-2015, 11:09 PM
Hey guys,
In September I'm going on a trip to the Kootenay lake / river region.
I will be fishing from shore.
What types of lures, spoons, jigs, spinners and approximate weight should I be looking at to get the most out of my fishing experience.
I will be staying in the Creston area and going to the Goat river, Kootenay river / Lake and Duck lake for bass.
I'll be using spinning gear.
What weight should be the lures/ what type of line works best.
Any info would be greatly appreciated.
P.S. Budget friendly for this excursion please.
Thank you
Jason.

Nova
07-02-2015, 12:51 AM
I haven't done any shore fishing for trout, but after the success I had trolling flies this spring it's something I'd suggest adding to your arsenal. Can be done casting spinning gear with a water filled casting bubble.

Rob.H
07-02-2015, 11:16 AM
If you aren't big on using a fly rod a good technique I have been using (with an ultralight rod) is casting a small danielson spoon. I find the red colour works best and they are really cheap to buy. You can pick them up from canadian tire in abundance. Also a weighted bead head fly will work casting. Try to stick to dark colours with a hint of red.
If you are looking to hook into Bass I would recommend a medium to medium heavy rod and at least 10 lb braid (as they like to dig themselves into the weeds). If you stick to a texs rig there really is no better lure to use and they are cheap to set up. Buy a pack of bell sinkers (the type that slip through your line. As well you will need some larger size "J" hooks and at least a 4 inch senko worm. google how to properly hook the worm in texas rig fashion. you can get a pretty decent cast with the weight added and it helps the action as the worm falls to the bottom faster (also this is a weedless rig).
Hope this helps.

ETOWNCANUCK
07-02-2015, 01:40 PM
Thanks for the tips Rob

Vega21
07-02-2015, 03:11 PM
Garlic Shrimp all day.