PDA

View Full Version : Strudel Lake

Zenfishdude
07-02-2015, 11:59 PM
Went there yesterday and had the whole lake to ourselves. Caught a total of 6 perch from a float tube and had a least 7 more hits. Average size were 9". Used a full sinking line with size 8 leech pattern followed by size 12 back swimmer. Fished off the edges of lilly pads. Friend caught 18" Rainbow on the North side using white mayfly pattern.

Last time we fished there was 5 years ago and don't recall this lake having perch in it and thought only Rainbows were the only species here.
Were the perch illegally put into the lake or were they there all the time?:confused

Don Andersen
07-03-2015, 08:27 AM
Just another lake illegally stocked with perch. The perch have been in there over 5 years.
Add Struble to other lakes in the area illegally stocked. These include Phylsis, Tay, Twin, Crimson. Cow + several other ponds in the Caroline area.

Don

Zenfishdude
07-03-2015, 08:09 PM
If the perch were illegally stocked, why would the regulations say you cannot keep any other gamefish since they were not native to that body in first place? I understand that regulation would be applicable if other gamefish are found natively in a stocked lake to preserve the natural balance. However I think illegally perch should be fair game to retain since they tend to over populate a lake easily If there are no or few predators to keep the population in check and competite for food with the stocked trout
When does the provincial government change the regulation to say perch is legal to keep? Is it when they over populate the lake? By that time then it's too late as you get skinny stocked trout as they are competiting against the perch for food. I have seen this in Phyllis Lake.

Don Andersen
07-03-2015, 08:49 PM
Two schools of thought:

1) why should you benefit from an illegal activity?

Or

2) let's remove as many as we can to preserve the fishery.

Some regulations go one way and others vary.

Damned if I know the logic even if it exists.

Don

Zenfishdude
07-03-2015, 11:20 PM
Thanks for the insight.

xring_assassin
08-19-2015, 12:48 PM
If I'm not mistaken if a species is caught in a waterbody that doesn't have specific limit on it in relation to that lake - ie perch in struble - then province wide regulations kick in where a limit of 15 can be retained (incl the ones in the deep freeze).

Someone sure has screwed up our trout lakes with those damn things. I caught 4 out of twin last night...

Northern Yaker
08-20-2015, 05:36 AM
Your interpretation is wrong. It states that retention of any fish other than trout from a stocked trout pond is illegal unless it's specifically says otherwise under the actual lake.
Since stubble falls into this stocked waterbody catagory keeping perch WOULD be illegal.

xring_assassin
08-20-2015, 10:01 AM
Your interpretation is wrong. It states that retention of any fish other than trout from a stocked trout pond is illegal unless it's specifically says otherwise under the actual lake.
Since stubble falls into this stocked waterbody catagory keeping perch WOULD be illegal.

Good to know! I agree with it not making any sense though...

Northern Yaker
08-20-2015, 12:08 PM
If we could keep them then those that planted them would be benefiting from their illegal activities. If that was allowed then people would plant perch everywhere they could.

xring_assassin
08-20-2015, 02:21 PM
If we could keep them then those that planted them would be benefiting from their illegal activities. If that was allowed then people would plant perch everywhere they could.

It appears that someone around RMH thinks it's fine - all our ponds and lakes around here have those damn things. Time to bust out the retinone and do some lake rehab.

TROLLER
08-20-2015, 07:05 PM
I have to disagree, Badger with the walleye for several years was not listed but you had to follow regs from near by res. Same for Pine Coulee and burbot they were never listed as being in the lake either yet the understanding was a limit of 10 and I had been checked on more than one occasion at PCR.

Perch at Phyliss would follow under the same guidelines.

Northern Yaker
08-20-2015, 10:06 PM
You lost me...
But if your saying you can keep perch at Phyliss, it's because it is also listed within the ES region & says you can keep perch. Struble not the case, than spot on.

TROLLER
08-21-2015, 08:47 AM
If there are perch in the lake then you go by rules concerning perch limits from lakes in the general area.

Same as Pine Coulee and burbot. There are several lakes that have fish that do not get listed in the regs.

I asked the question to a F&W officer and that is what I was told otherwise dozens of fishermen and women would have been charged at not on PCR but also at other lakes

Northern Yaker
08-21-2015, 09:58 AM
You are correct, jUst not as far as stocked ponds are concerned. Eg. The diffence between why you CAN keep perch in Phyliss and why you CAN NOT keep them in Struble.

This is copied straight from the regs.

The following list of lakes, reservoirs and ponds identifies sites that are frequently stocked with rainbow trout, and some with brook trout, brown trout or cutthroat trout. Water bodies appearing below are open all year with a trout limit of five. The harvest of game fish species other than trout from stocked trout waters is not permitted. Stocked waters where the harvest of other species is allowed or where bait restrictions apply are listed under "Lakes and Streams Listings" for each Watershed Unit.
Several additional sites stocked with rainbow, brook, brown, cutthroat trout or arctic grayling are not identified in this section, but appear with special regulations under "Lake and Stream Listing" for each Watershed Unit.

Burbot at PCR may be a different story, one that has nothing to do with this discussion. If you keep perch from trout lakes without them being listed with a perch limit, you are poaching. End of discussion.

TROLLER
08-21-2015, 06:30 PM
Nope