PDA

View Full Version : How to fish with maggots on a river

Battery
07-03-2015, 10:24 AM
Hi guys,

Looking to fish a part of the RDR that only allows maggots, however, I've never used maggots on a river. I usually tip a spoon with worms (where allowed), which yields good results, but I'm not sure how well that would work with maggots. I am thinking a slip bobber a foot or two above a single hook with maggots might do the trick, but not sure. Any tips?

Red Bullets
07-03-2015, 02:59 PM
Similar to a pickeral rig...
Use just enough weight to let you bounce along the bottom. I use a small three way swivel 6 to 12 inches above the weight. Then I use a size 10 or 12 single snelled hook with 2 to 4 maggots. Keep you line tight while bouncing. Good for rocky mtn. whites and trout. Pencil weights are less prone to snags. Some people even use different sized common nails for weights, depending on current.

bubba 96
07-03-2015, 03:08 PM
Buzz bombs work really well, used many times....

S_Mooj
07-04-2015, 03:58 PM
similar to what red said,

for bottom fishing use a 3 way swivel 2-4" of line on one eye tied to a weight and about 12 inches of line off the other eye tied to a small single hook.

slide one or two of those mini marshmallow over the hook and onto the line just above the eye of the hook and tip the hook with a few maggots.

cast out and bottom fish like using a pikeral rig, the marsh mellow will keep the maggots floating off the bottom .

works like a charm for trout.

Justanotherbuck2
07-05-2015, 08:08 AM
I use the three way swivel, with a royal coachman fly #10 or 12 with a single maggot, I also use lighter line on my drop for my weight so if it snags I only loose my weight. Whitefish cant resist this method! Just cast upstream an have a gentle bounce on the bottom, if you are not bouncing you are not catching!

elkivory
07-05-2015, 08:39 AM
^^^ same here! Or a pickerel rig with 4lbs mono a black fly tipped with a maggot.