PDA

View Full Version : Advice to help prevent (possible) sea sickness

lone wolf
07-03-2015, 09:19 PM
Not sure if this belongs here or in General Discussion ....... mods feel free to move.

I am taking my sons (15 & 13) to the coast in a couple of weeks, and have booked accommodation in Ucluelet. Part of our trip includes two full day charters for salmon and halibut ~ could be anywhere from 2 to 20 miles offshore. Sons have always traveled well from a young age (car, boats on lakes, planes of various sizes) and never suffered from any form of travel/motion sickness. Having said that i would like to reach out for advice and experiences from members. I would also like to have a backup plan just in case ......... They are really pumped about the fishing and I really want it to be a positive experience. I have been on a number of the worlds oceans and seas, and had my share of big water with no adverse affects, but I have also fished enough to witness first the misery that sea sickness can bring. Any experiences or advice to share ??

southernman
07-03-2015, 09:51 PM
There are sea sickness patches, you can put on, wear them for a week prior to going, I have a mate in New Zealand who does this, I know you can get pills as well, The best thing for sea sickness is lots of action, if the fishing hot most people are to busy, to get motion sickness, Don't eat greasy food before heading out, dry toast etc rather than bacon and eggs.

omega50
07-03-2015, 10:03 PM
Lets just say that in my honest opinion the boys eyes will go wide if they have never headed for open water out of Ucluelet. It can be rather inspiring coupled with the warm heady aroma of diesel fumes.
I would seek a solution.

EZM
07-03-2015, 10:04 PM
They have acupressure bracelets that put pressure on a certain part of your wrist that apparently reduce symptoms of motion sickness - not sure if they work. It's a drug free and safe alternative for kids.

lone wolf
07-03-2015, 10:21 PM
Lets just say that in my honest opinion the boys eyes will go wide if they have never headed for open water out of Ucluelet. It can be rather inspiring coupled with the warm heady aroma of diesel fumes.
I would seek a solution.

I will keep them on deck, in the fresh air. I have seen way too many people head below decks ......... worst place to be by far.

Chewbacca
07-03-2015, 11:29 PM
I'm prone to seasickness so I take a gravol about 12 hrs before and I'm fine. Another thing I found that helps is to ride at the very back of the boat in rough water

cujo1969
07-03-2015, 11:48 PM
I used the patch and gravol both non drowsy and regular and still got seasick going out of port Renfrew when it was rough. Went to port hardy last couple times and was ok think because was always in sight of land and Renfrew out on the swiftsure bank.

Mackinaw
07-04-2015, 12:42 AM
They have acupressure bracelets that put pressure on a certain part of your wrist that apparently reduce symptoms of motion sickness - not sure if they work. It's a drug free and safe alternative for kids.

I have Menezes desease which with it comes motion sickness tried the wristband thinking it would be a great none drug related way to go did not work at all for me have not found any positive results from tests with it. You can get Scopomine in a patch that goes behind the ear that works great. You don't have to use it ahead of times you can use it that day as a precaution. Just check with the age of kids.

Mack

Tfng
07-04-2015, 12:29 PM
Like was mentioned stay out of the cabin. Keep your head up and watch the horizon really helps. I don't get real sea sick but I've felt it start to come on if I spend to much time in the cabin or looking in the bottom of the boat. Watching the horizon makes a huge difference.

bigbfidaddy
07-04-2015, 02:06 PM
I get sea sick looking at a boat lol. Wife got me patches that go behind the ear and I was skeptical from the start. Used them for two days before and the day of our tuna trip and I didn't even dry heav or even have a queezy stomach. Now I ha e used then ten times or more and I won't go without them. I belive they are dramamien. Good luck and post pics.

Nakoda boater
07-05-2015, 09:19 PM
Meclizine
I had some mixed out in Courtenay last summer before we hit Nootka sound. The most coast people prefer this to patches and other methods. Research research is the best. Call a pharm out there and they can provide all the details for adults and children.

Nakoda boater
07-05-2015, 09:20 PM
Also do a search on The sportfishing BC forum

70fastback
07-05-2015, 09:34 PM
from one that has chummed with the best of them off the Canadian princess if you're going out on the big diesel chum boats take 2 gravol the night before 2 in morning patch behind ear the night you arrive stay at back of boat find something on horizon [birds ships boats] to focus on drink ginger ale for pop and enjoy your self :sign0111:

yetiseeker
07-06-2015, 07:50 AM
I also suffer from seas sickness in rough water.

My advice is similar to above suggestions, however, a few more thoughts:

No alcohol the day before. Stay away from greasy foods. The patch works alright but not completely if you are prone to sea sickness. However - DO NOT take the ear patch off after a couple days and replace with a new one as this caused double vision for me - stick with one patch each trip only and supplement with gravol. Take the gravol at least a day or two before your day(s) on the water to build up the effectiveness and amount in your system - this really helped me after unsuccessfully mitigating this on previous trips. Ginger ale in the boat helped along with eating crackers so you belly has something to digest. And finally, keep your eyes on the horizon (not always possible, but does help).

densa44
07-06-2015, 08:25 AM
I have been on a trip to Haida Gwaii and was sick the whole time. My one trip in Hawaii, it was very rough, I had "bonine" I think that is what they call it, it is an OTC that I could only buy in the US, they are orange tablets and I swear by them.

You can probably buy on line.

Oh a tip a sea borne Mountie gave me (a fellow sufferer) was don't close your eyes in the shower, you'll have no sense of balance.

Within 20 mins I was throwing back bigger fish than I had ever caught in my life.

beerhonky
07-06-2015, 08:43 AM
Ginger pills. In my profession I fly a lot in helicopters. I don't get motion sickness but that is what i recommend and others recomend to people who do. When you have the flu why do people say "drink ginger ale" natural stomach settler. You can get them at some health food stores. Hope this helps.

goose
07-06-2015, 09:13 AM
Transderm patches get them from you pharmasist

Rob.H
07-06-2015, 11:59 AM
Drink a couple beers on the boat. Nothing gets rid of sea sickness like a good buzz.

iliketrout
07-06-2015, 01:23 PM
I'm lucky as I don't normally get seasick but on the odd occasion that I start to feel it, I just look at the horizon and it passes quickly.

Ozzzzz
07-06-2015, 03:56 PM
Sea sickness is the bane of my existence...I hate boats, but love fishing. I've never found a pill or patch that works for me. The best think has always been fresh air and activity. Try to stay active, and keep your mind off the movement. Avoid activities that require focus and fine motor skills (ie: tying a hook on, or reading.)

If the captain will give you a chance at the helm, do it. I also find that if I feel like I'm in control of the boat, it keeps the nausea away.

Ozzz

catchandeat
07-06-2015, 05:15 PM
I have been on a trip to Haida Gwaii and was sick the whole time. My one trip in Hawaii, it was very rough, I had "bonine" I think that is what they call it, it is an OTC that I could only buy in the US, they are orange tablets and I swear by them.

You can probably buy on line.

Oh a tip a sea borne Mountie gave me (a fellow sufferer) was don't close your eyes in the shower, you'll have no sense of balance.

Within 20 mins I was throwing back bigger fish than I had ever caught in my life.

x2. Bonine is much better than dramamine because it doesn't leave you drousy. I also used it when I was fishing in Hawaii and never got sick. And like the others said, make sure you don't stay inside the cabin where all the diesel fumes are, that's how you get sick fast.

Nakoda boater
07-06-2015, 05:22 PM
x2. Bonine is much better than dramamine because it doesn't leave you drousy. I also used it when I was fishing in Hawaii and never got sick. And like the others said, make sure you don't stay inside the cabin where all the diesel fumes are, that's how you get sick fast.

Meclizine is available in Canada...

albertadeer
07-06-2015, 06:27 PM
I have seen a few trips ruined cause of gravol.... Even the non drowsy sure makes kids sleepy haha.

Ginger of all shapes and forms for any nausea!