PDA

View Full Version : Modified AR15s are accurate target and varmint guns

Duffy4
02-28-2007, 10:15 PM
Was just reading HODGDON's 2007 RELOADING an annual reloading magazine. there was a bit called "NOTES On The .223 rem and .22-250."

He lists some very accurate bullet and powder combinations for these cartridges and I scanned a pic of 4 of the rifles he uses for Target and varmint shooting with is top acurate loads. You may notice that one of the rifles is an AR variant. That is a "black assalt rifle" that has been modified with the replacement of barrel and trigger and a few things and is now a very accurate rifle for target and varmint shooting. These kinds of guns are not owned and used because they are "fun to shoot in rapid fire" or because the owner/shooter is pretending to be a souldier or a terrorist. They are "accurate, target and varmint rifles".

http://i19.photobucket.com/albums/b174/duffy4/black-varminter.png

In the company of some fine shooting bold action guns. Lets hope the government doesn't do something stupid like banning these fine semi-auto rifles.

Robin in Rocky

osterb
03-01-2007, 06:34 AM
www.youtube.com/watch?v=jJWLP81qCAE (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jJWLP81qCAE)

ar15 600 yards

M70
03-01-2007, 09:56 AM
Duffy,

I see the thread title has been changed from the previous thread. No offense intended to your serious post about the AR. After hearing more about these rifles, I would consider a purchase myself. I probably wouldn't have a week ago even though I had started the Black gun thread and had mentioned that I would want to use one for gophers and coyotes if that was allowed. I would have to consider how much I would enjoy it relative to the cost of purchase, since I primarily go to the range to practice up with the rifle that I intend to use when hunting. I appreciate the info.

Grizzly Adams
03-01-2007, 10:02 AM
One of the beauties of the AR system is that you don't need a machine shop, or a great deal of skill, to custom build your own "special" rifle. A set of basic hand tools and you're in business, which makes it unique.
Grizz

Okotokian
03-01-2007, 10:37 AM
That is a "black assalt rifle" that has been modified with the replacement of barrel and trigger and a few things and is now a very accurate rifle for target and varmint shooting. These kinds of guns are not owned and used because they are "fun to shoot in rapid fire" or because the owner/shooter is pretending to be a souldier or a terrorist. They are "accurate, target and varmint rifles".

Ok, I'll be overly picky :b IF they are accurate target and varmint rifles the barrel and trigger replacements would be unnecessary. Sort of like saying a chevy malibu is a good dragster (if you put in a different engine, transmission, and suspension) LOL

aulrich
03-01-2007, 11:14 AM
I have to admit the Zumbo furor has got me interested and to a some extent I have to admit that I agreed with him. but more in that your typical black rife is chambered in something with limited hunting application 223 rem. The 308win about the only versitile big game round and I don't think any of those variants are not restricted, there are some speciatly rounds 6.8 spec and a 45 cal from Hornady coming out, but at first glance they seem quite limited. And the guns are stinking expensive,both to buy and to feed.

But

Think how much fun a good semi 22 is in a field of gophers now transfer that to a accurized AR variant (not all of them are restricted) in 204, rumor is they can be capabile of sub .5 moa sort of accuracy, with the right bits.

But that would be no cheap toy just to build the gun I'd bet you would need 2K or better to build it with match grade components, and you have not even put glass on it yet.

I find the malibu comment sort of irrelevant seeing that no mater what platform you are shooting your swapping parts to get ultimate accuracy.

Kev
03-02-2007, 06:11 AM
I have a non restricted AR in 223 that shoots just fine. Far more accurate than my mini 14.

osterb
03-02-2007, 04:26 PM
:D

Tree Guy
03-03-2007, 12:37 AM
Osterb, their beauties. Three questions (not smart assed questions) though.

1. What is the clip capacity?

2. Why no glass?

3. Why one trigger lock?

Baulde
03-03-2007, 04:21 AM
^^^
Just a guess, but the ar15 (top,restricted) is stored in the safe, and the ar180b(lower,not restricted) is stored outside that safe ? Thus the trigger guard ?

osterb
03-03-2007, 11:07 AM
:D