PDA

View Full Version : Ice Fishing In Cold lake for Lake Trout

lonehunter
01-16-2009, 05:04 AM
For the first time Me, My wife and my 5 yr daughter going to Cold Lake for Ice fishing for Some Lake trouts. We are thinking about the provincial park Area. Can you guys give me some info about some Good spots & Ice thickness around that area?. We are gonna drive our Dodge MegaCab Diesel Truck, Is the Ice thick enough for this truck?
Also What kind of Baits and hooks works well for Lakers?

Thanks in Advance for any INFO

jjstar
01-16-2009, 08:37 AM
Hey I have talked to a few people and it has slowed down a bit but they did get their fish. One was out in 80 feet of water by the Marina (snow is deeper here though and less travelled) The other group was out from Provincial park with the main group of people (can't miss the village) Over all the ice is fine but there was one Ice heave from the Provincial park which I would not drive over as it is not strong at all, but on that note you cannot miss it so is easily avoidable. The common hook is a large white bucktail jig with a piece of bait on it. That being said They are fish so who knows what will be hot?

tyee33
01-16-2009, 10:36 AM
I drove over the heave yesterday with my Cummins Mega Cab, no problem, not saying to do it, just I did yesterday.White tailed jig with herring/smelt, look for the outside edges of that hump off the provincial park, 120-140 ft of water.Most fish right on the hump in 80 ft, better fishing just off the edges.6 Fish yesterday, 2 in the 10 lb range, vexilar was hummin, lot of suspended fish at 80-100 ft, excellent day on the ice, weather is warming up, -6, sun is shining up in Cold Lake today, cheers

lonehunter
01-17-2009, 02:45 AM
Thanks a lot for the Useful Info..We are leaving Tommorrow.with the hope to catch some Lakers for the first time..:wave: