PDA

View Full Version : Hunting Packs?????

BrownBear416
01-16-2009, 07:32 AM
I am looking at upgrading to a better pack.Not looking for a day pack or a couple day pack but a heavy duty one for long trips and heavy loads.Lets here the good and bad about the ones you use and lets see some pics.

I am looking at Badlands,Mystery Ranch and Eberlestock.

Any help and input would be apprieciated

Thx

Thickhorn
01-16-2009, 08:56 AM
I've got two, a Mystery Ranch NICE / 5000 and a Cabela's Extreme Alaskan Outfitter.

The MR: My favourite of the two. I should have bout the bigger bag (I think its a 6500), but mine is great for 5-ish day solo trips. The pack is definitley on the heavy side when empty, but I expect it will last as long as me. Whether empty or at full load, the pack clamps around me and never shifts. I've gotton through some scary scrambles with a 50-lb pack - stuff that I probably wouldn't do with my other one. Another great thing about the MR is that the 'daypack lid' can be snapped onto the NICE frame and used as a small daypack. This way, if things go well, you still have a stiff frame that you can strap horns and game bags to.

The Cabela's: Its a true external frame pack, and very light. It doesn't feel quite as 'snug' against me as the MR. It is a bigger pack though, and for carrying a large, awkward load out, I like it best.

I realize tht the majority of the time I spend packback hunting is not actually packing meat/horns out, but rather carrying my home and food around the mountains. Also, when you have meat and horns on your back, nothing can really bother you, so who cares anyway. My MR is perfect for the actual hunt, and will do the trick packing out as well.

Rust
01-16-2009, 09:44 AM
I have the Mystery Ranch, Crew Cab pack. I really like it. It is great for horse back hunts because of its short length. (does not stick above your head). But if I were to do strickly backpack hunts I would go with a bigger one. I would look at the Grizzly or the Orion I think. Also if you go with a MR pack make sure u get there locking buckels on everything. I got them on the pack but chose to save $50 or something like that and have non locking ones on the frame. They are all right, but you are going to spend 500+ on a pack DON'T worry bout the extra 50 like I did!!!!!!!!
ANyways this in my pack with a 50lb bag of oats in it!
http://i268.photobucket.com/albums/jj10/Rustbucket_04/P5240017-1.jpg

Rackmastr
01-16-2009, 12:18 PM
Another vote for the Mystery Ranch......love it and have tried them all!!

Mystery Ranch NICE Cerberus pack.....hauled a good number of animals this year and it performed flawlessly.....they are very well built packs and perform excellent with heavy loads.....
http://i13.photobucket.com/albums/a297/Rackmastr/IMG_1222.jpg

coldredneck
01-16-2009, 12:32 PM
I have the Kifaru Long Hunter Guide. Absolutely love it. Not that heavy empty, lots of room, very comfortable. Used it last year in the mackenzie mountains after Dalls. Carried 70lbs very easy. If you get it , get the gun bearer system too. It carries your gun at your side on the pack but ready to use at a second.
A big vote for Kifaru! :D

Off in the Bushes
01-16-2009, 02:37 PM
I have the Eberlestock J104 and it is a nice pack/ comfortable. I have not used to with a heavy load yet, but one of the draw backs is when it is compressed you can not get anything out center pack, its just to narrow, I have trouble getting my binoculars out of the bottom. Also if it is snowing and the gun scabbard is not used it fills full of snow so you need the gun cover, or a method of covering the top.

BrownBear416
01-18-2009, 11:15 AM
Thanks guys I will check them out.