PDA

View Full Version : Fishing at Carburn Park Ponds

arhuomam
07-08-2015, 11:14 AM
Good morning,

My question is regarding to fishing regulations at Carburn Park Ponds in Calgary AB.

I went fishing in the ponds yesterday and met with some people fishing in the area, no one ever got trout there and most of them agreed that most fish are pike.

I checked the guide and it says nothing regarding to pike, here is what in the guide: "Carburn Park Ponds 8 (See Bow River; W.H.D. Weir downstream to the Carseland Weir)" and "from the Western Headworks Diversion (W.H.D.) Weir downstream to the Carseland Weir (includes 500 m of the Highwood River and the 3 Carburn Park Ponds) but excluding all waters in the Inglewood Bird Sanctuary (see Inglewood Bird Sanctuary) – Open all year. l Apr. 1 to Mar. 31 – Trout limit 1 under 35 cm; All Trout over 35 cm must be released; Mountain Whitefish limit 5 over 30 cm; Bait Ban."

So, some said no pike to be kept, others said limit of 3 any size.

So, what is the regulations for Pike in Carburn Park Ponds?

Thank you very much for your support.
Best regards,

arhuomam

Okotokian
07-08-2015, 11:31 AM
Look earlier in the guide at the ES1 general rules.

C. For other ES1 Lakes, Reservoirs and Ponds not included under (A) or (B) and for fish species not mentioned at a listed lake. Open all year – Trout limit 5; Mountain Whitefish limit 5 over 30 cm; (where present, Walleye limit 3 over 50 cm; Pike limit 3 [no size limit]; Perch limit 15; Lake Whitefish limit 10; Burbot limit 10); Bait, except bait fish, allowed

marty1
07-08-2015, 12:01 PM
Good morning,

My question is regarding to fishing regulations at Carburn Park Ponds in Calgary AB.

I went fishing in the ponds yesterday and met with some people fishing in the area, no one ever got trout there and most of them agreed that most fish are pike.

I checked the guide and it says nothing regarding to pike, here is what in the guide: "Carburn Park Ponds 8 (See Bow River; W.H.D. Weir downstream to the Carseland Weir)" and "from the Western Headworks Diversion (W.H.D.) Weir downstream to the Carseland Weir (includes 500 m of the Highwood River and the 3 Carburn Park Ponds) but excluding all waters in the Inglewood Bird Sanctuary (see Inglewood Bird Sanctuary) – Open all year. l Apr. 1 to Mar. 31 – Trout limit 1 under 35 cm; All Trout over 35 cm must be released; Mountain Whitefish limit 5 over 30 cm; Bait Ban."

So, some said no pike to be kept, others said limit of 3 any size.

So, what is the regulations for Pike in Carburn Park Ponds?

Thank you very much for your support.
Best regards,

arhuomam

There was rainbows in their years ago until someone thought it would be a good idea to throw in perch and pike from pond three( which is now the bow) so yeah there is pike perch and from a guy I talked to their last year while he said scuba diving he said it's full of whites I'm assuming they got in from the floods.

arhuomam
07-08-2015, 02:53 PM
Thanks for your replies, it is highly appreciated.

But how can we explain "Carburn Park Ponds 8 (See Bow River; W.H.D. Weir downstream to the Carseland Weir)"

and when I checked the River; W.H.D. Weir downstream to the Carseland Weir section , it said "from the Western Headworks Diversion (W.H.D.) Weir downstream to the Carseland Weir (includes 500 m of the Highwood River and the 3 Carburn Park Ponds) but excluding all waters in the Inglewood Bird Sanctuary (see Inglewood Bird Sanctuary) – Open all year. l Apr. 1 to Mar. 31 – Trout limit 1 under 35 cm; All Trout over 35 cm must be released; Mountain Whitefish limit 5 over 30 cm; Bait Ban."

So, this stated for example Trout limit is 1 and section C said 5 Trouts.

Thanks

arhuomam
07-08-2015, 02:56 PM
A lady from Fishing office just called me back and said NO for Pike at all.
I tried to explain to her and she was not really confident in her answer.

I am fully confused. Please help,,,

Many thanks.

vital shok
07-08-2015, 05:33 PM
It's says same as the bow River rules it's pretty straight foward it's basically saying it's part of the river weather there's trout in it or not.

kevinhits
07-08-2015, 06:20 PM
Look earlier in the guide at the ES1 general rules.

C. For other ES1 Lakes, Reservoirs and Ponds not included under (A) or (B) and for fish species not mentioned at a listed lake. Open all year – Trout limit 5; Mountain Whitefish limit 5 over 30 cm; (where present, Walleye limit 3 over 50 cm; Pike limit 3 [no size limit]; Perch limit 15; Lake Whitefish limit 10; Burbot limit 10); Bait, except bait fish, allowed

General regs as above is what you follow

Okotokian
07-08-2015, 06:30 PM
A lady from Fishing office just called me back and said NO for Pike at all.
I tried to explain to her and she was not really confident in her answer.

I am fully confused. Please help,,,

Many thanks.

She doesn't know what she is talking about. I suspect you got a secretary or summer student.

EZM
07-08-2015, 09:35 PM
Thanks for your replies, it is highly appreciated.

But how can we explain "Carburn Park Ponds 8 (See Bow River; W.H.D. Weir downstream to the Carseland Weir)"

and when I checked the River; W.H.D. Weir downstream to the Carseland Weir section , it said "from the Western Headworks Diversion (W.H.D.) Weir downstream to the Carseland Weir (includes 500 m of the Highwood River and the 3 Carburn Park Ponds) but excluding all waters in the Inglewood Bird Sanctuary (see Inglewood Bird Sanctuary) – Open all year. l Apr. 1 to Mar. 31 – Trout limit 1 under 35 cm; All Trout over 35 cm must be released; Mountain Whitefish limit 5 over 30 cm; Bait Ban."

So, this stated for example Trout limit is 1 and section C said 5 Trouts.

Thanks

Here's another way of looking at it .......

1) Find the specific lake, stream or watershed you are fishing ....... ANY species listed specifically with slot sizes or limits indicate what restrictions or allowances ........for those species only - this also applies to boundaries, bait, etc.... for that lake, stream or watershed.

2) Any species NOT specifically listed under that lake, stream, river or watershed that ARE present are governed by the provincial regulations in that zone.

If you follow the regs in that chronological order - you will be fine.

arhuomam
07-10-2015, 11:50 AM
Hi Okotokian,

I agree with you she know almost nothing about Reg.

I went to fishing store to buy some items and asked experienced guy, the answer as you and some others said here 3 Pike with no size limit.

By the way, the guy told me there lots of people being ticketed mistakenly just because some officers misunderstand the regulations.

Anyway, thank you all for your inputs and have a nice day.

QUOTE=Okotokian;2888808]She doesn't know what she is talking about. I suspect you got a secretary or summer student.[/QUOTE]

FireTiger
07-10-2015, 01:06 PM
Hi arhuomam,

I've seen some people ticketed at Carburn due to the 'no bait' regulation (this is the 3'rd year of the bait ban there), but (so far) nobody busted for keeping a couple of Pike.

Yes - those regulations are confusing - seems they get more complicated every year !