Don Andersen
07-09-2015, 06:57 PM
http://www.isdm.gc.ca/survey-enquete/eng/916a957f

schmedlap
07-09-2015, 07:57 PM
for posting this.

Red Bullets
07-09-2015, 08:44 PM
Thank you for the link. I am going to read the species at risk act to see if it has any teeth. And then answer the survey.

Diamondhitch
07-10-2015, 08:02 AM
I would beware of this. There is already no season for them, what more can they do? Close fishing on those water bodies completely.

I have no faith in their Bull trout numbers ever since I met up with the summer students hired to do Bull trout studies on the Berland river years ago. They were shocking a side channel that obviously would not hold fish unless they happened to be travelling through. We asked why they weren't doing the big pool and they said it was too big for them to shock??? What is the point then of doing it at all??? The pool is where the fish live. Plus they were lost, they were supposed to be at the mouth of Horse creek but were half a mile upstream. They randomly stopped there because they were worried they had floated past Horse creek. A bunch of college kids out having fun with a cattle prod, that is what this "team of biologists" amounted to.

What kind of accurate numbers could possibly be gained by this circus act???

I agree that Bull trout are sensitive to catch and keep due to aggression that makes a pike seem like a wimp but our biologists have no more idea how many Bull trout we have than Grizzlies.

MK2750
07-10-2015, 08:37 AM
I would beware of this. There is already no season for them, what more can they do? Close fishing on those water bodies completely.

I have no faith in their Bull trout numbers ever since I met up with the summer students hired to do Bull trout studies on the Berland river years ago. They were shocking a side channel that obviously would not hold fish unless they happened to be travelling through. We asked why they weren't doing the big pool and they said it was too big for them to shock??? What is the point then of doing it at all??? The pool is where the fish live. Plus they were lost, they were supposed to be at the mouth of Horse creek but were half a mile upstream. They randomly stopped there because they were worried they had floated past Horse creek. A bunch of college kids out having fun with a cattle prod, that is what this "team of biologists" amounted to.

What kind of accurate numbers could possibly be gained by this circus act???

I agree that Bull trout are sensitive to catch and keep due to aggression that makes a pike seem like a wimp but our biologists have no more idea how many Bull trout we have than Grizzlies.

I agree and will add that I am seeing young and large Bull Trout in many areas where I have not seen them before. Where there is normally Bull Trout the young seem very healthy and abundant.

I would say that the population is recovering very nicely and in fact I believe Cuts and Browns (my favorite) are reducing in numbers as a result.