PDA

View Full Version : Elbow river west of Bragg Creek?

Scottmisfits
07-11-2015, 06:38 AM
Hello guys,
The family will be heading out there camping soon. I'm trying to keep my son going with the fishing and not get bored. Just looking for a couple of suggestions as to some lures to take out with us. I have a few things already, just wondering what people have had success with. Closest to where we'll be staying is the no bait area I believe. And strictly catch and release.

jeprli
07-11-2015, 08:34 AM
McLean pond is your best bet, elbow is a bit slow for a beginner, not an easy river. McLean pond also has convenience store with bait (you can only use it in pond). You can keep fish from McLean.

Scottmisfits
07-11-2015, 01:57 PM
Thanks jeprli, I'll check that out. Is it any easier to fly fish than spin?

JareS
07-11-2015, 02:08 PM
I've fished a part of the elbow river west of town for last 10 years where my aunt has a property and access point. I've caught brookies, browns, cutties, and mountain whites with small spinners. Have to cover a lot of ground but usually pick up a fish or two per afternoon. The elbow drastically changed in the flood. First time I went there after the flood it felt apocalyptic, the giant (previous) river bed is bone dry, it re routed itself 100m away. That being said the sharp cut banks and piled up driftwood make for some nice holes

Scottmisfits
07-11-2015, 02:19 PM
Thanks JareS. We will be staying at the Gooseberry campground. I don't mind walking a bit to get to some decent fishing. Even driving for a while is good too. I just want my son to keep throwing lures or flies or whatever. It's such a great family activity.