PDA

View Full Version : what is in the mind of the poachers?

Granrey
07-13-2015, 06:43 PM
I'm very confused on why do they do it?

They know they are breaking the laws, ruining the ecosystems, ruining other fishermen time, etc.

Food here is cheap. So, I don't think is a money problem.

Everybody has a camera or a phone to take a pic and demonstrate what they caught in case they need records.

Aside from ignorance, what else do they say when they are caught? Has anyone heard stories?

Astrocyte
07-13-2015, 07:00 PM
I personally it is as simple as they do not care. I also think many fall into the "I do not like that law therefore I feel I should not have to follow it". Maybe some do the fallback onto "well we used to be able to keep so I am going to keep doing it", or "our founding fathers kept fish by the buckets so why can't I?!?!?!". Those are just my opinion though. Also do not forget some people are just callus, rude, and self centered so who knows what they are thinking.

Lund rebel
07-13-2015, 07:01 PM
I do it for the thrill....

I honestly don't know could be part ignorance on people's part and not knowing there are rules

I caught a bull and everyone asked how it tasted.

Bushrat
07-13-2015, 07:25 PM
some people figure that they buy a licence, it entitles them to keep whatever fish they want, why else would you go fishing. In some peoples mind catch and release or letting fish go is stupid after all you go fishing to get fish to eat.

Red Bullets
07-13-2015, 07:56 PM
And then...Some people just don't think.

I like reading the Western Canadian Game Warden magazine every month. Alot more idiots than you think. But it rarely mentions what the perps say after being caught.

FlyTheory
07-13-2015, 08:28 PM
"I thought it was another big brook trout officer" - guy who kills bull trout

JD848
07-13-2015, 08:34 PM
POACHERS ARE GREEDY IGNORANT PEOPLE who have no care or value about the future of our wildlife and fisheries.
It's not about needing food because 90 percent of poachers are willing to put up their truck,boat ,quad and all the goodies that they need to poach.

Their definitely not outdoorsmens but in their twisted mind they think their the best hunters and shooters or top anglers,you name it ,they think their the best and they think they deserve this poached prize in order to satisfy their egotistic values.

If you don't respect the outdoors ,one day it won't respect you and mother nature can be real bitch if she wants to.

3blade
07-13-2015, 09:03 PM
"I pay my taxes..."
"I didn't know..."
"Why can't i eat it? I caught it!"
"It was bleeding"
"It killed itself flopping in the boat"
"The Indians are gonna kill em all anyway"
"I only kept one/two/etc"
"I no keep dis? No? Not loud? Oh...solly"

And all kinds of other stupid. A lot of it is cultural, the kind of mentality that existed before cheap food and fishing regulations: if you catch a fish you eat it. It spans all cultures around the globe, so I'm not picking on anyone.

Conservation is something that mostly began with Teddy Roosevelt et al...and is largely restricted to North America and Northern Europe. It will take many years and natural attrition for attitudes to change.

bang_on_sk
07-13-2015, 09:21 PM
I am constantly astonished by people who just don't give a runny poop. They don't bother to read the regulations, don't care enough to ask, and know their chances of getting caught are slim.

I've helped a few newbies out, one thought it was ok to rifle hunt in a muzzleloader zone, the other had no idea zones even existed. Both took hunter orientation courses...

Redfrog
07-14-2015, 01:46 AM
No mystery here. Criminals do what criminals do, whether it's drugs, theft, murder, mayhem or poaching.

If the laws were enforced to discourage this typwe of illegal activities then maybe it would cut down on it. But the old saying that crime doesn't pay is simply BS.

Hug a thug seems to be ok with some folks.

Any crime will continue until it is too expensive financial or through loss of freedom.

Names and pics should be displayed prominently in the media.

58thecat
07-14-2015, 04:21 AM
Just because, go against the grain type people, adhere to there wants,needs and desires, lie, cheat and steal...get caught and blame everything on their issues.
Scary thing about it some wanker will get paid by the system to listen to them and try to reeducate them back into the law abiding system, waste of money and resources, hard labour camps and or death depending on the crime.

Kim473
07-14-2015, 05:50 AM
"I pay my taxes..."
"I didn't know..."
"Why can't i eat it? I caught it!"
"It was bleeding"
"It killed itself flopping in the boat"
"The Indians are gonna kill em all anyway"
"I only kept one/two/etc"
"I no keep dis? No? Not loud? Oh...solly"

And all kinds of other stupid. A lot of it is cultural, the kind of mentality that existed before cheap food and fishing regulations: if you catch a fish you eat it. It spans all cultures around the globe, so I'm not picking on anyone.

Conservation is something that mostly began with Teddy Roosevelt et al...and is largely restricted to North America and Northern Europe. It will take many years and natural attrition for attitudes to change.

You forgot the,

"No speak english"
" Huh"

PerchBuster
07-14-2015, 07:24 AM
Could be the thrill of beating the system and getting away with something. It takes a criminal type of mind to conjure this stuff up. A false sense of entitlement as well as a general disrespect for their fellow man and the laws of the land. You have to care enough about other people to do the things that are just right in this world. When someone doesn't care it breeds this type of behaviour I think. They are self centred "all about me" people. They are a disgrace to society and and to the Canadian flag. They should have to sit down with a war veteran and listen to the stories of hardship and sacrifice just so they can understand how lucky they are to be able to go do something so enjoyable and peaceful as the joy of fishing and have a fishing rod in their hand instead of a rifle. Maybe then they would stop their senseless and selfish slaughter of our shared resources and respect just how fortunate we all are to have these fisheries in the first place

Lefty-Canuck
07-14-2015, 08:00 AM
Many do it because they want their 15mins for shooting the big buck or bull. Many get away with it....others get talked about behind their back for the rest of their lives....very few have their day in court.

LC

Winch101
07-14-2015, 08:13 AM
With larceny in their blood ......lots of second and third generation
Poachers .
Usually poaching is not their only crime . Back in Mb. And NW Ont
It's a way of life .
Here it's ignorance to a large degree with fish , while the segment
Of the population known for poaching come from a place where all
Fish are eaten . Sport fishing is a total foreign concept to them .
The Germans have it right , before you get a licence for any
Outdoor activity ,you have to go to school not canadian tire .

isoseeker
07-14-2015, 10:43 AM
You forgot the,

"No speak english"
" Huh"

Or,

'dats my 'gawd dang dem der right to keep 'mah...i'm an albertan!...

graybeard
07-14-2015, 04:35 PM
Ego, being a bully, greed and money all = motive, means and opportunity with little to no chance of being caught....

IMHO.

Marsha
07-14-2015, 05:28 PM
I am sorry you have all got it wrong
Scientists have finally found the answer !!! :thinking-006: