PDA

View Full Version : bait

kinwahkly
01-17-2009, 12:22 PM
When they say bait ban does that include smelts? or power bait?

mulecrazy
01-17-2009, 12:26 PM
it is in the regs book. read their definition of "bait". yes it does include both smelts and power baits.

ULTRAlite
01-17-2009, 12:47 PM
Smelts are "BAIT" but are not considered "BAIT FISH" - from the regulations here under "General Sportfishing Regulations"

http://www.albertaregulations.ca/fishingregs/

TRUCKER JON
01-17-2009, 01:06 PM
OKAY, I have a question. In the regs it says that 'bait fish include....minows, except western silvery minnow'. Now, under the 'bait fish may be used...provided a bait ban is not in effect for that lake'.

The western silvery minnow is 'excluded' from the bait fish list. At Pine coulee is says that minnows are not allowed. Now, if a person is using western silvery minnows that are dead and frozen, would that person be violating the 'no minnows' ban, since they are excluded from the bait fish list?

Bassett
01-17-2009, 02:19 PM
OKAY, I have a question. In the regs it says that 'bait fish include....minows, except western silvery minnow'. Now, under the 'bait fish may be used...provided a bait ban is not in effect for that lake'.

The western silvery minnow is 'excluded' from the bait fish list. At Pine coulee is says that minnows are not allowed. Now, if a person is using western silvery minnows that are dead and frozen, would that person be violating the 'no minnows' ban, since they are excluded from the bait fish list?

For the best explanation and answer to your question I would suggest you contact that areas Fish&Wildlife|Fish&Game.

BBJTKLE&FISHINGADVENTURES
01-18-2009, 11:34 PM
If A lake says bait ban that means anything , includeing smelts , minnows , power bait , etc. You can only use lures. and flys.

southunter
01-19-2009, 09:04 AM
Trucker Jon.
You can not use silvery minnow for bait. The reason being that is a threaten spp only found in the Milk river drainage in Alberta a few water bodies in the the US. Protect by the Species AT Risk Legislation (SARA). Thus you can not legally catch and possess them. If you can't possess them, then by default couldn't use them for bait.