PDA

View Full Version : Highwood river and etherington creek yesterday

Krispy
07-15-2015, 04:16 PM
Great day fishing with the wife yesterday. First hit some small pools on etherington creek around the camp site area. Where she caught that stunning cutthroat! Hard pressed to find a prettier specimen anywhere!! Then stopped off along highway 541 on the highwood river at random
Spots fishing deep running pools and a small canyon section. We caught cutties, nice sized rainbows and a chunky whitefish to end the day.
Drove home along highway 40 back to highway 1 then home to canmore for around midnight ! :) we saw a big bull moose and a grizzly just before the 541 and 40 intersection. What a great day for the both of us discovering new water! Will be returning to both in the coming weeks.
Cheers!
Krispy

Okotokian
07-15-2015, 04:26 PM
Nice stuff! :happy0034:

Fishslayer99
07-15-2015, 04:42 PM
What a fish is right! color is awesome, thanks for sharing!

KyleYYC
07-15-2015, 06:45 PM
So what worked as far as flies go?

spinN'flyfish
07-15-2015, 09:14 PM
nice fish, sounds like a good day in the mountains!

Pikebreath
07-15-2015, 09:23 PM

From the pic, I would say mepps spinners rather than a green drake spinner!:lol:

Flieguy
07-15-2015, 10:01 PM

my go-to for cutthroats are chernobyl ants and elk hair caddis, or match the hatch. those will work most of the time the fish are feeding

Scott N
07-15-2015, 10:37 PM
I love the color on that fish!

Krispy
07-16-2015, 07:27 PM

We were just tossing Mepps spinners, rainbow trout colours. That cutty was caught in a 3'foot deep pool, 8 feet across. Water was crystal clear, could see
Them all swimming under a small overhang bank. Very cool

Bigfeet
07-17-2015, 11:47 AM
Have been curious about Etherington for some time, so I tried the lower stretch a few weeks ago. No fish present in the areas I tried, but the water did look like good habitat. I know it was originally stocked with Cutthroat, but feared that most fish got washed out with the floods. Sounds like there are some closer to the campground. Anyone have much luck in this creek in other sections (since the flood)?
Also, curious about where you saw the Griz. Sounds like it was right by Highwood house?

Krispy
07-17-2015, 04:40 PM
Have been curious about Etherington for some time, so I tried the lower stretch a few weeks ago. No fish present in the areas I tried, but the water did look like good habitat. I know it was originally stocked with Cutthroat, but feared that most fish got washed out with the floods. Sounds like there are some closer to the campground. Anyone have much luck in this creek in other sections (since the flood)?
Also, curious about where you saw the Griz. Sounds like it was right by Highwood house?

Yeah exactly right at highwood house. Burly looking guy ran across the road in front of us and jumped the guard rail into the ditch. Really good looking healthy bear. Bull moose was 5 minutes down the road too. Younger but again beautiful and healthy looking. Was also very surprised at how a great looking decent sized cutty was holding in such small water on etherington. Can't wait to hit it again soon!

Bownsaw30
07-17-2015, 08:37 PM
Love the colors on that fish can't wait to get out and target some trout this year!

omega50
07-17-2015, 08:49 PM
Ladies love it when the fish matches their nail polish