https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=96NctgBhzUg

jwelds191
07-16-2015, 08:59 PM
Buddy shared a video he shot:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=96NctgBhzUg

Super cool, I love that Lake

EZM
07-16-2015, 09:54 PM
Water is still low and silty seems to me - we were out there a month or so ago - fishing was tough. Great video .....

-JR-
07-17-2015, 06:03 AM
What lake is this?

Fishslayer99
07-17-2015, 08:35 AM
Wow...beautiful lake and fish!

Lornce
07-17-2015, 08:39 AM
We where out there fly fishing last weekend EMZ, yes water is quite low and silty. We only pinched a couple of small Lakers but did do well on a few cutties and whitefish using sinking lines off the springs.

TROLLER
07-17-2015, 10:47 AM
Don't see the water level coming up at all this year.

Have about 10 days out there this year and no real barn burner days yet.

Nice fish especially on a fly rod. Great fun for sure.

jwelds191
07-17-2015, 01:39 PM
What happened to Minnewanka from last year to this year... just a naturally occurring "slow year" due to spawning ages, etc... or due to low water levels?

Last year the lake was great!

EZM
07-18-2015, 05:09 PM
What happened to Minnewanka from last year to this year... just a naturally occurring "slow year" due to spawning ages, etc... or due to low water levels?

Last year the lake was great!

I fished the lake almost every weekend while growing up in Calgary (20-25 years ago) and that lake would yield 25-30 Lakers per person per fishing day.

I haven't fished it in many years and went back this year - we averaged well under a fish a day.

I wish I knew - but what I will say - I was shocked to see how few fish appeared on my sonar. We covered lots of ground - from end to end, both shallow and deep and I have never seen a lake so empty in 20 years of fishing.

Having said that - there are fish in there and the scenery is spectacular.

Lornce
07-19-2015, 08:10 AM
We noted the same thing about the larger Lakers in Minnewanka, sonar picked up only a couple larger fish in the deep areas where we normally jig for them. We started early and fished till dark in all of our old haunts. Not sure what is happening here, if they are hugging bottom, if the low water is effecting spawning or if in fact there is now a problem with the fishery.

TROLLER
07-19-2015, 09:24 AM
If you look at the Cascade river you will notice how low it is. Friend of mines neighbor has been contracted by Parks Canada to study what is going on.

Seems since the flood the river has taken a new course actually now going underground and not emptying into Minni like years gone by.

Hopefully they can come up with some solution or the lake will continue to lower itself. The main docks will not be put in this year for sure and I believe like most that the spawn has been effected.

I have only had one decent day this year and that was in early June at the far end. Even then nothing over 5 lbs. Most were of the Spray Lake size.

Kingfisher
07-21-2015, 05:08 PM
That was a great video.

Not so good news from all the reports I have been hearing. Combination of low water and not great fishing it does not sound good. But I will try my luck out there any day. Even if the fishing isn't great it is one beautiful lake to go for a ride on.